MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Had a nice session with the live and the heat on friday. Also realized this, which the OCD in me just loved:

yes, the small box elektrons are a perfect dimensional match to the live like this :diddly:

(escuse the poor shop, photoshop on iOS is abysmally terrible lol)

3 Likes

Heh heh. Nice.

Question for MPC Live users:

Is it possible to save whatā€™s in the Looper buffer as a sample without stopping playback? Wondering if itā€™s possible to save looper ā€œsnapshotsā€ mid-session.

all saving mutes the audio of the live momentarily, so unfortunately no. The playback does resume after the save, but MIDI sync gets thrown off etcā€¦ nowhere ideal IMO.

With the amount of RAM onboard, Iā€™d leave saving until laterā€¦ but this is currently a bit risky since the audio side of the OS is still buggyā€¦ Not enough use hours with the new 2.0.3 firmware to say for certain.

Yes, but the audio stops for a little bit. Not a problem if youā€™re jamming or composing, a bit of an issue if playing live

thought this was kinda eye opening

Undoubtly Akai lied about the whole 2GB ram, but itā€™s still an awful lot of space.

1 Like

I wonder if itā€™s currently capped due to feature set not fully fleshed out. Itā€™s just so wildly off their spec claims.

Still plenty for me to work with but odd to market this as having 2gb sample ram when only a quarter of that is reality.

Same as wi fi and bluetoooth, coming soonā€¦
I still like mine, but I have so little trust in Akai being able to develop this properly and fix the various bugs.

I said this over on Gearslutz, but itā€™s an odd box. Iā€™ll go days without looking at it and Iā€™ll start to think ā€œyou know what, I donā€™t need another paper weightā€ but within minutes of turning it on ā€œto make my mind upā€ Iā€™m cheesing and having a great time.

I think Akai will deliver to some sort of mid point. Not enough for many but likely enough for me. I think itā€™s a box with holding on to for those, like me, who scored one at the original price.

Beatmaker has turned my head but honestly, I just find it such a buzz kill getting things working nicely on iPads. My xkey is plug and play in theory (it is with my Live!) But I always need a couple of minutes of fannying around to get it working with the iPad. Thatā€™s one example of various things.

Itā€™s an interesting one for sure. Interested to hear what @AikiGhost makes of Beatmaker - sure he said he was looking into it.

Sorry, didnā€™t mean to twist things into a Vs post there.

1 Like

I spent a few days with Beatmaker and the software is very good. I havenā€™t tried it with external midi hardware, just plugins, but the sampler is years ahead of the Live or Maschine, 4 layers per pad, each of the them with effects, filters and plenty of assignable modulators. Plus a great sampling workflow.
And the effects even though are not as many as the Live, are better quality and include sidechain. Itā€™s got its quirk and I canā€™t get my favourite plugin to work properly with it (but I have the same problem with the Live) but for 20Ā£ itā€™s a sampling beast.

2 Likes

Anyone had an issue on a MAC using the firmware updater software? The updater keeps closing without updating the Live.

Which Mac OSX are you running?
The Live or the Xā€¦?
Checked the USB cable?
If it is the MPC Liveā€¦is it powered or on battery?
Tried it on a PC or another computer?

El Capitan 10.11.6 (Mac will no longer update to newest OS)
Live.
I donā€™t have any other USB cables.
Powered.
Not tried another computer yet.

Just wondering why the Updater just closes & makes no attempt to try to update the MPC.

My update went through flawlessly after I tried again with a power cable attached to the MPC live. Iā€™m on osx sierra though.

Have you tried contacting Akai support yet?

Yosemite here and all went flawlessly!El Capitan is like Windows Vista get rid of themā€¦

I somehow relate to your feelings, as I also can have the live unpowered for daysā€¦ But I will not be selling mine anytime soon. The live is almost the MPC I ever wanted, just a few more updates to get there, I can wait.

At the end of the day, when we have a session and something new needs to surface fast, the live has always delivered so far. I imagine I could do just as much and more with ITB, but for some reason the workflow is nowhere as fluid/immediate as with the MPC. Perhaps itsā€™ the predefined scope/featureset for me, that still has all the essentials there, dunnoā€¦

3 Likes

Not yet. Waiting to see if a Neighbour can help me out.

1 Like

I need a whole new MAC. This thing is at deaths door.

AKAI needs to unlock streaming from drives like Elektronā€™s static machines ASAP and leave the available memory for other thingsā€¦

1 Like

Go Yosemite like me thenā€¦