MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Gotcha. I just rerecord until I get it right. Or commit to just recording the performance as an audio track. Or record several takes and keep the best one :wink:

At a guess it probably has something to do with a few airlines stating restrictions on carry on luggage around lithium ion batteries. Ryanair for example states this. A little amusing considering your every day mobile, tablet, basically any electronic device includes that type of battery!

As I have the misfortune of flying with Ryanair Iā€™m going to have to check in advance I think!

FWIW Iā€™ve flown often on Ryanair and Easyjet with my OP1 and at worst they make you remove it from the main bag at security.

Actually come to think of it, this probably depends on airport and country more than the actual airline, because at security they donā€™t care which airline youā€™re flying.

I get the not being tethered to a wall, but I tried to take my Live on the road a couple weekendā€™s ago, and itā€™s not really that portable. Itā€™s kind of big and awkward compared to the Elektron boxes or a Volca :wink:

its the elektron analog mk II size, ā€œnot that bigā€ ?? Like with the mk II analogs, I do not mind the size on its own, but carrying several boxes of that size is bulky innit. Yesterday all I could fit into my magma backback (big) was the live and a heat. But if it were any smaller, the fullsize pads would not be onboard, and that would be a serious downgrade too.

Exactly ^ Youā€™ll lose these wonderful padsā€¦Else you can buy OP-1 for smaller portabilityā€¦

the ā€œsmaller-than-regularā€ pads on the MPC1000 is the only thing lacking IMO, physical build wise that is.

I was arsing about some more and getting to know the MPC flow and wondering if those with the Live (or MPCs perhaps) can guide me on this oneā€¦

So last night I was just trying my hand at sampling. All sorts of shit like Linda Ronstadt vinyls I found haha. Anyway, was nothing I wanted to keep but it got me thinking. Is there are an easy way to have a blank template that you use for sampling that you can hook all your future projects in to? Iā€™m thinking like on the OT - you can sample away into the pool, all sorts, for your patterns to pull from.

Iā€™m guessing its a fundamental difference thing or Iā€™m missing the obvious (could do a massive blank programme full of samples as my ā€œtemplateā€ I suppose). Sampling is so quick and easy it just seams like itā€™d be easier to spend an evening sampling like mad then the following days to have fun with it.

Long winded there, hopefully it makes sense!

Only way would be to start a new project, sample away, save as a template, the next day after tweaking and destroying them, save as a new project, then if you want to start again, reload template etc etc, if thatā€™s makes sense!

2 Likes

It does, cheers mate. I kind of thought that would be the answer! Back to those Linda Ronstadt LPs thenā€¦

1 Like

Might be worth saving it as template 1 and 2, then as not sure if it will effect samples as you go.

Just say this on Gearslutz. Not sure if shared here already but an interesting tip! Kind of brings a trig conditions feel to things.

And for those interested - Beatmaker 3 is now up for purchase. Iā€™ve spent 20 minutes with it and itā€™s pretty sleek though bringing back memories very quickly on why I hate making music on tablets!

3 Likes

Why the keygroup samples volume are so much lower than drum programs in my MPC Live? (is this normal? im new in mpc)

is it the only way to do is pull all tracks down to around -20db just for the balance with keygroup sample, and no way to normalize it without distortion? :open_mouth:

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=183073

even if a tablet is hardware,
itā€™s no hardwareā€¦

1 Like

Why not just start a new projek every time, and immediately after filling the RAM with samp, name them and save the samples into a folder? And then load into a project from that folder?

The only ā€œsound poolsā€ on an MPC are folders, are they not?

1 Like

Iā€™m still very much arse backwards with the Live! A lot of basics that Iā€™m shite with. Just need to invest some proper time with it!

Took me ages to work out how to even find your own samples on the live haha

2 Likes

I too have a few blanks (like how to assign hot folders into the numbered slots?), but most of it is familiar from other hardware MPCs. You also have to option of saving all samples and programs and even the ā€œentire memoryā€, IIRC (not at my live right now)

Is anyone aware of the best way to suggest features, etc., to AKAI?

Thatā€™s what I do with my mpc1k, once my project is where I want it to be, I purge the unused samples, save entire memory to a new folder on my cf card.
I also only use the hard drive for sample storage only, and the cf for storing my projects in the aforementioned way.
I donā€™t have a live but I am sure there is a simple way to work like that as well. Itā€™s funny that people that know the octatrack really well are stumped by the simplicity of MPCs! I am the exact opposite, to the point where I barely sample on the octatrack anymore, I sample into live or the mpc and export to the octatrack, that thing is great with loops but is terrible at sampling imo.

1 Like

The happyface icon in the 2.0 software, thats an email that goes straight to Akaiā€™s MPC developers.

3 Likes