MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

i know akai and MPC and to me regarding modulations and Live performance : Elektron is way more rock solid and powerful … i think you can’t compare MPC and Elektron… it’s just two different philosophy.

• MPC is more Studio oriented.
  • Elektron is more Live Performance oriented.

it’s a pleasure to write a song on MPC, it’s so divine to explore and sculpt patterns on Elektron devices.

3 Likes

I agree and to add my own two cents in the mpc allows for more live feel while playing; even though, I can play my rytm a bit using its pads. The triggering on mpc it so much better. But I have to admit as an previous mpc user that when I bought the rytm I understood that it excelled at step programming which I wanted to learn more about with analog synth programming. They both excel at different things and play styles.

4 Likes

I played with Q-links last night and it opened up a new world of automations, now I can automate effects parameters!

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing what people get up to. Very very powerful under the hood. Didn’t think I’d be using Clips much for example, but I think it’s one of the most powerful features. I’ve been loading long audio files in the clip slots and it’s running like clockwork. 128 Clips per program! The possibilities and scope in the architecture is mind boggling.

4 Likes

Can you trim start/end points in clip (in realtime/during playback?) and choose between timestrech/non-timestrech playback? With different bar/beat lengths per clip?

2 Likes

I still haven’t been able to add effects to Clips, am I missing anything?

I was under impression you could have 4 fx per pad/clip, pretty sure I read/saw that somewhere? Maybe that was for one of the other modes tho?

4 fx per clip/pad via the pad mixer section. Not sure you can change the start/end points while the clip is playing. You have to stop the clip for changes to take effect. you can however do that in the sample edit page and play samples by touching the screen and stretching the start/end points in realtime.

2 Likes

I’ve sampling/trimming/chopping/assigning and it’s really great. At times I think I come across a bug (for example at times slices in some chop mode get high numbers) but it’s usually me not having a clue about proper workflow and not reading the manual. Still not pushing the machine hard.

It’s crazy when you start assigning fx/filters/env per pad, you can go anywhere.

I… I think even the reverbs can sound decent if properly dialed in, the problem is the default knob positions when assigning a reverb are a disaster. Dialing down everything usually gets you something much better. Akai should set up some proper ‘default presets’ so users don’t get scared.

4 Likes

I did not find a way to delete unused key groups from the memory before saving a new project.
And as the samples for those unused groups are linked to them I can’t delete those neither to keep the project small.
What am I not getting here?
Any help is welcome.

You can not do this via the PURGE menu? (under the battery level view)

I see that a lot… “impressed with q-links” so they give a cool name to a freely assignable knob and that became a amazing feature ? Oh common we midi map things for decade now :joy:

2 Likes

I would be alot more impressed if qlinks could be controlled via an ext controller, and we could could easily edit the resulting automation data. But it is indeed nice to have 16 qlinks instead of two or four like on the older standalone MPCs.

1 Like

Only just scraping the surface, but really digging it thus far. One minor quibble is when I play a sample using note on mode then switch banks it chokes the stem?!? Is there a way to stop this happening

Don’t know if this review is already been posted.
I liked it.
I’m in the market for another sampler/sequencer.

1 Like

Bit of a random question, but would leaving the protective film on the touchscreen long term cause any damage to the touchscreen?

Highly unlikely.

It will, however, look pretty ugly before long.

Nope

I’m using mine with the film on. You saying the glue could permanently stain the screen or something?

I’d Much rather have the film looking a lil scruffy than the screen itself

That was my concern.