MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yes, I agree, that’s what I mean (english is not my first language, it’s a bit hard for me to describe these advanced functions of mpc). P-locks are automation related to a step sequencer timing philosophy. Mpc is more a linear sequencer in its philosophy, but In my use the automations on mpc are sufficient.

1 Like

That is exactly, what I have missed up to now, when I wanted to work without computer/Ableton.

If I read the specs correctly, the new stand-alone units might be a very intersting solution of a long search for gear … and the best is, the X will provide CV/Gate outputs too, which allows an easy synchronisation of all my modular and non-modular gear using one single machine only in the center.

Thanks for this detailed info. I think this the direction I am goingas I have Reaktor 6 and looking to incorporate my elektrons into a suitable daw environment. Does your MPC hardware do away with the need for stand alone audio interfaces sufficiently?

A rep has said 4-5 hours.

1 Like

In my HS I generaly prefer to use another audio interface (focusrite 24 dsp) for better A/D converters with the A4 and guitar preamps, but the mpc audio interface is quite sufficient (I never take my focusrite when giging) as I only have one hardware synth (A4) so no need for multiple I/O.

Edit : A great tip for using reaktor in mpc software is to make personal patches, open them in a plugin program, route the q-links to choosen parameters of the patch, and save it as mpc program. You can further open directly the program in other projects, it’s like building external instrument expansions for the mpc.

2 Likes

I’m on 64, just stuck on win7 :confused: thinking about it I have the exact same programs installed on my daw laptop which is win 10. And I’ve used that with my main interface before. So in theory it should be OK to update without issues on that side of things. Need to try and get it connected to my WiFi somehow and do it before it stops being free, I’ll look in to it more after I finish what in working on atm.

1 Like

I think to get the X first :wink:

1. In the studio I use a MPC 5k regularily, the X seems to replace it very well and adds interesting features, which I’m missing on my old MPC (audio editing is much more efficient with a graphical interface, midi editing on the old machine is quite combersome)
  2. I am not gigging, so mobility is not an issue
  3. 128 tracks, audio and midi looping, 4 Midi outs and additionally CV/Gate outs make it a perfect alternative to a my computer/DAW-Setup.
2 Likes

Absolutely to the point … step-sequencer vs linear sequencer.

That’s the reason, why I am using both, Elektrons and MPC, or a DAW.

3 Likes

:smile_cat:

I re-selled my mpc touch as soon as I seen the FFC leaks of mpc live. I want this one almost as much as peace in the world, or burger king in Caen.

5 Likes

I use the octatrack and mpc 1000 together and tbh they complement each other way more than they compete.
Resequence loops with the octatrack, add finger drumming (very simple stuff in my case) and poly samples from the 1000.
Do crazy bass lines in the octatrack and send individual outs from the mpc to the octatrack for effects or live resampling using the cross fader
So I am sure the mpc live would be just as cool of a combo, hopefully with much better effects than the 1000.

3 Likes

Peace in a Burger King in Caen is doable :grin:
Would it be interesting to buy an 2nd hand MPC Touch to check if MPC Live worth it ?
It is the same firmware base ?
If I check Touch manual, are there things in common ?

1 Like

What I need to know is if the live will be able to replay my mpc 1000 beats!

Oooh extra bonus win: no more convoluted jjos xl for this guy, if the mpc live turns out to be all it sounds like it might be!

It’s exactly the same thing : mpc touch is a controller for mpc software, mpc live is the same thing + stand alone mode, which is no more than integrated part of the software itb with a cpu and ram/rom.

So you could also chek the trial version of mpc software.

And perhaps you will find peace in your mind, buddhist distance from gas, etc.

1 Like

Ok merci !

I already feel better with OT and A4.
But, I’m a guitarist and I love all 6 strings instruments. No peace till I rest in peace…

1 Like

You are pumping my gas to unheralded levels :grin:
Do you think MPC 2.0 could remove the need for Bigwig considering the Reaktor and Overbridge integration requirement? Just seeing if I could live without it, or start with MPC first then progress to Bigwig later.

A friend of mine who has real producing skills and gears is trying to dissuade me, his student in some way, to buy the mpc live. For him, mpc is just a sampler, and can’t manage to achieve all the features of a complete worksation like logic, pro tools. etc. He thinks I should offer to myself a maximized macpro, pro audio interface, premium plugins and some good controllers instead of this “brand new akaï teenager gadget gear”.:sketchy:

In fact, mpc soft (1.9) allow to composing and pre mixing entire songs, with all the plugins you need (with the limitation of only four send effects tracks per project, but 2.0 announce illimitate aux/send tracks).

But if you want to achieve tracks at a semi-pro or professionnal level, you will for sure need to use another “real” daw (even bitwig seems to not satisfy this level of exigence for now)

Mpc is pushing the beatmaking concept so far, near to complete daw solutions, but imo it remains a beatmaking tool in itself.

Is that calming down your gas ? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Haha no but it is hurting my wallet as I was hoping to get away with not having to buy the full blown DAW in addition to MPC. But I am coming from hardware only so it might work ok for a while until limitations are hit. Trying to make the right financial decisions and not buy unnecessary gear or software along the way.
I am also a basic hobbyist, not professional or any plans to be.

Mpc software will probably be fine for you for most daw tasks (editing/structuring etc). If not then maybe try reaper? Great and free. Dunno if Overbridge works in either of them tho if that’s important to you. And depends what you want from a daw. For the better quality Vsts/softsynths etc you’re normally going to want to look outside of what comes packaged with them. I use Sonar and Ableton and don’t think there are any stock fx in either of those that I’ve ever used in a finished project. They’re OK but the great stuff is usually from elsewhere (not necessarily expensive tho).