MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

pad mute is only for internal akai progs (drum/keygrp), doesn’t work with MIDI since there are no concept of “pads” for MIDI progs in the same way as for the int progs.

however, track mutes still work, so you always have the option of “expode tracks” to get all 12 note rows to separate tracks, and then you can mute em one by one… There are 128 tracks, don’t be shy :diddly:

Ah, I misunderstood. Gotcha.

Thanks for all the answers and info @tsutek :+1:

1 Like

I managed to shoot a lil video. Let me just add some captions etc to make it easier to follow and I’ll post it. Shows some midi stuff

EDIT: oh snap. I didn’t look at the footage while recording. You can’t see the screen, my hand blocks the view to the camera :zonked: Man, doing these videos takes some planning it seems. I will do a better job next time.

I do hope this is useful to anyone… Might have been more informative if I’d known specifically what to show tho. But anyways

14 Likes

Thanks Tsutek! Just what I wanted to see. Seems really straight forward. It looks perfect as a center peace for a hardware setup :thup:

The drum loop sounds nice. :slight_smile:

thanks, just some old commodore 64 drum samples I had lying around. Having so many fx per pad is very nice though!

1 Like

What audio interface you compare iConnect audio4+ or RME/antelope ???

If you think to Low - Low mid budget interface i would say it’s OK
But if we speak about RME/Antelope/Apogee : well of course NO. (depend of IO needs, if you records acoustic instruments, microphones etc…)

in the meantime if people have MPC Live + 1 Elektron Device (at least) don’t bother you with that :stuck_out_tongue: make P-locks on Elekron when you know you want to P-Lock something :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s say a steinberg UR44 or Focusrite scarlett 6i6.

It has a nice stepsequencer tr styles called grid, its the one I use when making beats.

1 Like

I believe this had been addressed but I can’t seem to find: What was the verdict on leaving the Live always plugged in? Will it preserve the battery in the long term to run down, charge, repeat?

1 Like

A user can replace the battery ? Or is it apple style?

Andy was asked in a video about the battery. I’m sure his response was something like “oh I’m sure there will be kits for that on the market in time”. He’s probably right. So not super easily changed but likely reasonably straight forward.

I heard that the AC adaptor and battery can be obtained from 3rd party vendors but who they are, I don’t know yet. I noticed Akai put different type screws on this for screwdrivers and allen keys. Looks like I gotta dissect the machine like you would an MV8800.

1 Like

I my experience over the years, MIDI over USB is concerned, computers fail pretty hard at timing.

I wasn’t really referring to replacing the battery, which looks like it might be difficult btw. More so if leaving the Live plugged in all of the time would be bad for long term battery life.

I’m guessing that since the orange light at the back of the unit turns off once fully charged, he battery will not be overcharged.

The battery is non-user replacable AFAIK (voids warranty etc). You need to send the unit into a qualified repair tech for the battery swap, like with newer Apple products.

1 Like

DO NOT BUY video. It may be interesting to watch for someone:

Mmmm. Definite bummer about not being able to stack tracks/kits/instruments on same midi channel and play them as layers on an external keyboard or the mpc pads. And tbh the workflow/constant page switching reminds me so much of Beatmaker on ipad. Doesn’t seem like there are enough job-specific physical buttons for it to really feel that different in practise. Gonna hold off and check Beatmaker 3 when it’s released and keep an eye on the mpc and see how much they refine/add. I’m sure it’s cool and better than ipad/BM3 (especially the mpc daw integration) as an ‘all in one’ sofa jam box but the price difference is huge now seeing as I already own an ipad.