MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Well, everything shown on this vid is certainly possible with the live. AFAIK this fellow only used expertly prepped, long samples, trigged those on the fly, and only messed with the qlinks and sample tunings a bit. So nothing overly complex technically, just good sound design and taste. Nice song btw!

Making videos difficult for me tbh. I need to get some kind of videography stand for my iPad, next to impossible to operate anything else with an iPad videocam in hand…

2 Likes

It would be nice to see the midi sequencing of external hardware poly synth.
Recording midi in notes form a keyboard to the MPC, and then playback from the midi out to a synth.
With a view on the notes in the piano roll mode on the MPC.
Can’t seem to fin any videos showing this workflow…

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do. I have a blofeld and a preen FM I could use as a MIDI target. Getting the cam to position is the biggest challenge.

3 Likes

how is the sequencing screen, is it enjoyable to use?

hi,
excuse for my english…

Yes it’s completely enjoyable !

I use it instead of my octatrack with the Rytm and A4.

I use it since wenesday so it’s very fresh but i can’t get very far from it :slight_smile:

at least, i think i found my hardware sampler/sequencer for live shows.

I used Ableton/Push 2 and or Maschine but i got tired with computers for live.

1 Like

ack, batt lo

gonna take the live out to the kitchen to recharge. Hooked the blofeld already but didn’t have the time to rec video yet.

I am happy to report that note repeat also works with ext midi keyboards! However, pad perf mode is not working? A strong feature request for Akai in that case… I kinda hoped that pad perf would also have worked for ext midi note input devices.

Any electrical engineering boffins on here? The live manual says that you should only recharge the battery when connected to an earthed electric socket… My jamming station electricity is not earthed… Scared of ruining my live and/or its’ battery so i’ve never powered it from my jamstation… Am I being silly?

1 Like

The trick is nice. He creates variations on pads with the same sample and sequence it the way he wants it. The benefit here is that he can later change the settings one of the pads and that will be changed on all sequences. In elektron sequencer you will have to go to all patterns and change it.

I agree with you that it’s nightmare to manage it in the MPC step sequencer. That’s why i posted earlier in this thread that Step sequencer will not be so great on the MPC. Step sequencer is great for monophonic sounds. Ones you start messing with multiple voices it becomes nightmare. That’s why i posted that for mpc the grid view(piano roll) is the way to go. That way you can clearly see all variations of the sample and when they are triggered and easy remove/move or add notes on different “steps”.

yeah, assuming your “plocked” variation pads are all next to the original pad etc. This is why I proposed trying to do this with pad layers instead, they will all occupy the same note/pad/grid row position in the sequencer.

i find it strange that he’s calling these tutorials tho. They are more like feature presentations to me… But its good hes posting the vids in any case.

I believe there will be more limitations with layers then pads. I guess that’s the reason he used different pads(voices). But I don’t have the live and can’t confirm that. If you have the time try it with layers and share your opinion.

hm… what options do you have to sequence specific layer to trigger? Velocity switch seems the most usable here. The others might not work for that technique.

No pad perform for midi programs? That’s disappointing to hear.

@Yoko : Yeah, I saw this one, but only mono and no piano roll view :confused: :diddly:

Can you please elaborate on this. Do find the general sampling quality lacking? Cheers.

I’m just being fussy about how samplers sound when you pitch a sample up or down more than a semitone. Never did like how this sounded on the mpc 1000. The only machines I’ve owned that have done this satisfyingly to me are the mpc 4000, Yamaha TX16W and korg volca sample. Vintage samplers excel at this. Just a preference, very subjective…

The sampling quality is not lacking IMO, comparable to most > 500,- audio interfaces (with perhaps the Audient being an exception, they always have stellar conversion IME)

2 Likes

Thank you.

Hi @tsutek - Dan from Akai says Pad Perform works fine for midi programs, are you sure it doesn’t work?

Pad perform works fine with midi programs, i also use the sequencers of the OP1 via the MPC to trig Elektron A4.

it works perfectly

BUT the pas mute doesn’t work on midi programs and it’s a shame when you sequence the Rytm via MPC, you can’t mute one sound neither on the Rytm neither on the MPC… :cry:(

1 Like

Good to hear :slight_smile: (aside from the mutes)

It works for midi programs, of course… but not from an ext keyboard