MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Why? That’s way more power under the hood then any MPC so far(even the elektron boxes). Do you realize that this does not run any mail, update, facebook, spy… services in the background right?

1 Like

no Octatracks and toraiz’s feel a lot better to play and use than MPC Touch

Why? That’s way more power under the hood then any MPC so far(even the elektron boxes). Do you realize that this does not run any mail, update, facebook, spy… services in the background right?

Fair enough please do a sequencer timing test —and see how it compares

That’s their heavily slimmed down “Internet of Things Core” version which has very little to do with desktop Windows. But you’re indeed technically right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have it ATM that’s why I don’t spread lies :wink:

Correct. I expect the MPC Live to be a hell of a lot tighter than for example an MPC 1000 running JJOS. :wink:

1 Like

i don’t mean to lie but this a forum I’m allowed to ask if the embedded device will impact the feel of the sequencer.
My Akai dealer alerted me and had concerns too.

You’re allowed to ask anything and we’re allowed to tell you that the type of hardware that’s in the device is entirely unrelated to the “feel” of the sequencer.

You do realize that all previous MPCs also used processors to run software written by Akai, right?

The main processor that’s in the MPC 1000 for example is a 32-bit RISC microcontroller will happily run both Linux as well as Windows CE. An earlier processors from the same family was used in the Sega Saturn, and the exact same processor was used in late 90s PDAs and GPS navigation units.

5 Likes

thanks i guess it was a stupid question since the Black MPC’s 1000/2500/5000 are running a RISC CPU anyway that can run embedded OS’s.

1 Like

Went to a pub last night, got a bit drunk and we ended up goin to 24/7 computer shop, bought and installed a samsung evo 500GB ssd to my live there and then :diddly:

I hear it’s recommended to format the drive as exfat, so both macs and windows machines will be able to write to it?

3 Likes

If you have the Touch and hate the form factor then obvs the Live isn’t gonna work for you in any case, what’s the use in asking people to perform sequencer jitter tests for you? I’d just forget it and move along :slight_smile:

Nice to hear stories of drunken decisions that improve life, for a change :wink:

4 Likes

Btw, I ordered mine last night from Rubadub and got it for £799 plus a tenner for express shipping.
Shipping label has been printed this morning…

4 Likes

Result :slight_smile: Got a feeling in couple of months I’m gonna regret not scoring a similar deal while they were still around :confused:

1 Like

From another Forum and more in line with what my local dealer told me
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/new-mpc-live-info-leak.312043/page-3

"Akai will probably use Windows IoT or a variant of Windows RT. So it is Windows 10 but not in the way we think of Windows 10. It’s made for embedded devices, kiosks, ATMs etc.

If they ended up using Linux running on the ARM processor --would that be way more expensive or are they running it through WINE.

I think those are just very dated rumors/assumptions :wink: Andy has said Linux a hundred times in vids…

Back in 2014, Akai gave a demonstration at a Microsoft developer conference where they showed an early prototype of a stand-alone MPC that was supposedly running the MPC software on top of an embedded version of Windows.

Here’s a video with some fragments from that demo:

It’s unclear from the video if they just had the controller on stage hooked up to a laptop, or if it was actually running stand-alone.

So yeah, at some point using an embedded version of Windows was probably something Akai was considering or working on. Apparently and unsurprisingly, this turned out the be a bad idea and they instead ended up using Linux instead.

yeah and I must admit there is a very windows 10 feel to some of the gfx such as this view:

hehe it was a bit daft wasnit

heres my cuz installing it at the shop front entrance (my right eye is blind atm due to type 1 diabetes so handling small screws while drunk is not easy for me right now). We had to buy a spare screwdriver set and some ssd install kit because there were no spare screws supplied by Akai nor Samsung (shame on you!)

You just pop the drive in, engage controller mode and format via disk utility/explorer. I formatted mine to exFAT (GUID partition mode).

Just copied some hangover music to the new SSD, everything working A-OK!

4 Likes

Haha, rare times :slight_smile: