MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Me, coming from classic Hip Hop would say it has a transparent sound, what you sample in will sound coming out. How can I explain it, the old MPCs were like Microsoft Paint graphics while the Live is pushing vector graphics. Sounds really good. I sampled straight in from a CD player without an eq or preamp in between and it was rich sounding. Now I do have a preamp in between and its sounds full and thick.

Also, you have options to make it sound vintage with MPC3000, SP1200 and MPC60 options.

2 Likes

Have you had a chance to mess with the audio tracks much? Would love to know how the Live is holding up as a multitrack recorder.

Pretty much felt like I was on the MV working with a couple audio tracks. Haven’t gotten deep yet but its really detailed, you can edit on screen too. I did not run into any bugs in this department, it was smooth.

3 Likes

I hope some people got in there at least from my post. They are holding up to the deal, mine has been shipped, so I got it at then lower price.

No i prefer the Toraiz sounding… but the MPC is not bad at all. it’s more like a computer + native instrument soundcard / iconnect audio (with more gain) if i can say that, that way.

i would not suprised if it’s Cirrus Logic inside :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep its a run of mill chip inside the touch/live that you will find on a reasonable quality sound card
I have the service manual for Toraiz SP-16 so PM me and you will see the beautiful A/D and D/A circuits they use.
I have a question for Live owners has anyone got a MPC1000/2500/5000 they can A/B the sequencer against
You can export your Akai 2.0 project to MPC1000/2500/5000 format.
I want to see if the MPC-Live has any jitter in its timing as it is windows computer inside vs a dedicated music machine e.g. MPC1000/2500/5000.
Thats a burning question for MPC Live owners. I have an MPC-Touch so i can’t do the standalone jitter test.

It’s Linux.

2 Likes

Didn’t they say the Live uses improved Convertors over the Touch? I remember Andy being all ‘I can’t say who we worked with on these, but you’d be surprised. They’re new and outstanding quality’, kind of thing… Or was that just marketing/BS?

It was definitely mentioned a couple of times during Q1 of the year. Whether they’re better or not could be bullshit but from memory it was certainly mentioned a few times that they were different.

1 Like

No linux is an OS --that runs on a wintel machine.

It have ARM processor. What “WINTEL” are you talking about?

2 Likes

Seems like you’re pretty keen to prove the Live sucks because you have Touch and don’t wanna feel like you have something inferior? You can’t really compare them tho. Well you can, but what’s the point? One is a controller/cheap audio interface running a very basic daw in a computer, where the competition seems to kill it (push/Maschine). One is standalone modern MPC, that’s ALSO doing some things that in many ways are a first in standalone (at least in seeing those features/specs all together) and doesn’t really have any competition yet. End of… I’m undecided on the Live atm but I can at least see that it’s infinitely more useful/convenient to a touring/sofa jamming/collaborating musician (that doesn’t want to use a laptop in situations) than Touch would be…

[quote=“Yoko, post:3659, topic:32978”]
ARM processor

Sorry my dealer said the MPC Live /X processor was USED in Windows embedded machines,

The Live does suck for the price and form factor period.
Same form factor as the MPC touch

It’s ARM processor not Intel(wintel as you say it). I’m sure it’s used on many other devices. Win10 can run on ARM but he os on Live is Linux confirmed from the devs. Just pointing out facts.

Stop spreading bullshit. Linux has been ported to run on pretty much every hardware architecture on the planet.

The Live uses an ARM Cortex A17 quad-core processor like you’d find in a high-end smartphone. This has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft, Intel, or Windoes.

3 Likes

Any smaller and the screen would be a nightmare to use or the pad size would be compromised. Any bigger and it becomes the X which isnt exactly a sofa jam box :wink: It is what it is, sounds like it’s just not for you…

3 Likes

This has been announced, but I don’t think any devices running it have been shipped yet.

2 Likes

I believe it runs on Raspberry PI. Got emails from Microsoft from time to time but I personally didn’t try it but let’s not change the subject.

Interesting. Horses for courses really. I look at the Touch and think that sucks to be honest.

I doubt I’ll use my Live in controller mode much if at all hence why it’s such a compelling option to have.

I’m curious though, considering the price and form factors of Octatracks and toraiz’s do you think they “suck”?

1 Like

ARM Cortex A17 quad-core processor like you’d find in a high-end smartphone. --if thats the case i have a suspicion that the sequencer will not feel right compared to the black MPC’s.