MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Juno didn’t take any pre-orders so they have 1 available in stock (for U.K. folks).

1 Like

…and it’s gone.

1 Like

How does the MPC handles audio tracks?
I.e: I want to build a percussive track over a 12 minutes evolving drone, how would I do that?
Can I just move the playhead and play from a certain point?

Just picked mine up from Red Dog!

7 Likes

Thanks to a monster half marathon walk thing with work today through Edinburgh (to raise money for Mental Health UK!) I genuinely have no energy to do anything other than open this up, gawk at it and muck about with some demo projects. Huge grins!

I only very briefly owned a 2500 with JJOS so the MPC approach is new to me - I have lots to learn but loads of fun thumping on those pads. Being wary - I loved the Deepmind when I cracked that open, can see how that turned out… - but I think this could be an awful lot of fun to have about the house.

I hope Akai (or someone else) puts out a decent set of tutorials covering the basics. Something like what NI did for Maschine. That was a great way to learn MAschine and I’d like to take time with the Live.

Not sure I’ll ever commit to this but I’m already sparking with thoughts on using the Live + OT together.

Interestingly, the guys in RDM didn’t buy into the currency excuse for the price rise. The feel in store is this was demand driven. Pretty disappointing really as to keep things as is would have made one hell of a massive Live community IMO

4 Likes

The ASK ones are basic but get the job done, tho I haven’t tried what I learned yet. : ) You need to subscribe tho, 7:99 a month that you can cancel immediately if your not interested in the other videos.

There’s MPC tutor one also that covers the new mpcs but it’s 40 dollars and I’m not sure if it’s worth it. I’ll probably give it a go tho. Think it comes on a DVD tho which isn’t ideal.

Edit - MPC tutor also covers the 2.0 software

2 Likes
3 Likes

MacProVideo tutorial (MPC Live) is exactly what people need to start with it cover the basics :
Hardware Overview, what a Program, Importing Samples, Sampling, Sample Editing, Sequencing, Time Correction (Quantize), Grid Mode, Editing Programs, Program Edit Mode, Keygroups & Naming Tracks, External MIDI, MIDI Programs, Mixing, Automation, Saving, Step Sequencer, Patched Phrase, Audio Tracks, Recording Audio Tracks, Audio Editing & Warping, Effects, Pad XYFX, Clip Programs, Editing Clips, Bouncing, Song Mode and Export.

MPC Software 2.0 is an upcoming tutorial to come at MacProVideo too

It’s really nice how he changes the start and end point of a looping sample manually on the touch screen at 2:33 :sunny:

3 Likes

Yeah can’t wait to see some new creative directions now there’s so many more about to hit the floor running …

Can someone list the LFO destinations?

It will be nice if you have it as option in the X/Y effect window(X direction for the sample start and Y for loop length). It will be cool if someone send this as suggested feature and link the video. I don’t have the software and can’t send the suggestion.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I do in Samplr, I’m pretty much sold now…

I hate you all guys.

6 Likes

So far so good except my headphone pot as i said… the sound is heavily processed on demo projects and mixed very bad. With RAW material, good processing (just what it need) a bit of headroom… it’s way better.

As i expected the Effects are not very original but i think they can do the job. Reverb sucks to me, as i like super nice reverb don’t think you will get something special here.

There’s a lot of Menu diving but it very well organized. I think they must have done a better job for Live Performance and Studio (Maybe 2 UI layouts with one expert for studio and one for Tweaking the basics + matrix modulation with Qlinks) Everything is a page like Mute for the pads… a shortcut for mute-unmute the pads would have been great (but maybe there is one i didn’t know for now)

Load crap-trap demo is easy and Save too… a bit worst for OPEN a project it’s not really easy to access to OPEN a project. Sample not always assign to the PAD and sometimes it needs to be mapped from the list.

it’s a bit instable to working with PLAY looping, and load sample, adjusting at the same time… Recording, Overdub, … sometimes it erase everything (probably Overdub thing i need to check if it’s that button)

i really didn’t like the metronome sound i hope i can change it because sometimes it gives the feeling the MPC creak (noise) and it’s the layering Kick + Metronome = Saturation/Distortion.

The MPC charge its battery very FAST that’s very cool. I tried to sample with it and i think it’s OK… @Yoko unfortunately your A/B with sampling with the TORAIZ should be very cool but i return the TORAIZ i couldn’t keep both at the same time so i can’t do that. But i think @AikiGhost will be able to do that he have the TORAIZ and plan to buy the MPC Live if i’m not wrong :slight_smile:

4 Likes

there should be option to change it.

1 Like

Oh yeah !! That’d be mint for sure.

There’s also the online seminar they did with an hour or so tutorial from the same chap that did the ask ones… I can never find it tho as it’s only on FB and for some reason there’s about 4 live/x fan pages.

2 Likes

Obviously i prefer the way Elektron handle menu with page button. Everything is accessible in one click or two… we can’t say that with the MPC Live there’s a lot more TOUCH to make to shape, adjust, tweak, assign… it could on the long term be something bad regarding the workflow. i will see if i get used to it :slight_smile:

But There are virtually no limitations so i guess everyone with the MPC + other gear should find his/her perfect workflow

1 Like

Yeah, you can build nice setup around MPC.

1 Like

Hmm the problem with that approach is that when you merge sequences together (‘song’ consisting of many sequences into one long sequence), you will (if I understand correctly) lose program changes?

(As a workaround A4 has the multimap program change mode so the world is saved, albeit in a little hackish and not very workflowy manner)