MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

PLAY START always starts from 1.1.1.1

heh ninja’d

vThere is a huge number of fx… no small task

anything specific you would liKe to hear? And maybe can send a wav/aiff via PM? Can send you a file back

Thanks for offer to process something specific :slight_smile: Nothing really springs to mind tho. I guess most interested in the verbs/bitrcrush/vintage sampler emulations/distortions on drums (electronic and acoustic)/synths. But yeah, there are a ton of fx, so maybe just the ones that stand out to you, processing anything you’d enjoy doing, would be easier :wink:

If you’d have one loop of anything that you know intimately, it would make the fx comparison more logical to you. I can run some Karp Odyssey into it if you want?

IIRC @Fanu already critisized the distortion etc algos to be “not subtle enough” for his tastes. Haven’t tried em yet myself…

1 Like

Anything that has a few bars of ‘dry’ to begin with would be cool, thanks :slight_smile:

So record + playstart will always count in from the top then record from that spot regardless of where the timeline is? I recall playback acting that way, bit will fiddle more tonight to see if recording does the same. I definitely see the strengths of Elektron sequencers using the MPC live.

a simple 808 drum loop would be something that pretty much anyone can relate to, to get an idea of the difference between wet/dry
of course, other effects might be more useful/interesting on melodic stuff like synths…

sorry, life got int he way, wont get any more time tonight.

I was maybe sensing a slight lack of midrange, as is the case with many DACs and soundcards when ITB. But then again this lack of midrange might have been because of the stock samples onboard… This is why a known source file in wav/aiff would be a better way to evaluate (would speed up the file making process too tbh as I wouldn’t need to faff around hunting for a neutral source)

I’ve tested the fx in the mpc software 1.9. It’s ugly as fuck alone, but stack/combine them and they actually sounds really fab. A reverb with some light distorion and a bit crush and some eq, maybe through another reverb etc.
If I’m not wrong your not limited to four effects as you can send any channel anywhere which has another four slots of effects, and so on.

I havn’t checked this, but it would be really nice if there was a fx send on the fx return channels so it could send the signal back to it self in a loop, as you can in Ableton. It would open up a whole new world of building customized “effects racks”.

The only thing i’m missing is a pitch shifter with lfo/vibrato. Would be nice after a delay. Or just a midi lfo which could be assigned to any parameter.

1 Like

hope u can make some demo video on youtube, that would be very great! :smiley:

FX are what you expect if you ever used an MPC, nothing glamourous, but useful at the same time.

Akai about to release a new update, seems beta testers got the first stab at it but addresses a lot of issues which is looking good, even Ableton Link is on that. Maybe Friday, it’ll be released officially.

8 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbkhg9JwpYY

Another decent vid

1 Like

Yep, looks like Link is now in the software, hoping it makes its way to standalone for the next firmware update. Hopefully mine is arriving this week!

1 Like

I noticed that you cannot make the audiotracks to have irregular bar lenghts? Am I missing something? All the audiotracks seem to follow some kind of master bar lenght… Not ideal.

Hahaha i can shut off it comes battery empty and the master lever knob is hard in the middle seems like shitty knob for rec level and main level :unamused:

First thing i can say is the sound quality on the TORAIZ is way better than the MPC… but i was practically sure that will be the case so…

This master level knob is awful… i have the feeling i will brake it if i put the level at 60% maybe it’s a physical limiter wow akai that’s a good idea :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

master level knob? you mean the headphone volume pot?

and what do you mean by not able to shut it off?

Aand, regarding the sound quality, you are using your own samples and sources for evaluation, right? I heard many boxes with terrible sounding “factory content” that gave a totally wrong idea wrt sound quality (like korg electribe sampler, korg decided to supply it with bandlimited lq samples lol)

it’s labelled master vol… but yes headphone plugged near this pot. How is yours ? hard as hell too ? like it will be possibly a problem or no resistance at all when you turn it ?

MPC Touch uses same convertors as MPC Live–there is no way i would sample with it --Octatrak is better and Toraiz better again
----I prefer to work in MPC 2.0 beta in the box and drag my samples in then export the finished projects to MPC1000/2500 format
and play it back on MPC2500. MPC2500 has better sounding convertors than MPC Touch/MPC Live despite being 16 bit.
Having said that i really like the MPC Software since 1.9 :slight_smile: i just don’t like the touch/live form factor or feel

3 Likes

it feels stiff for sure but the action on mine is smooth

2 Likes