MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Modstep is brilliant, but it is a completely different beast.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used modstep a few times. Itā€™s OK. Kind of ableton scene view vibes. I donā€™t think mpc live has midi clip launch (only audio clip launch), so it might suit you if thatā€™s more your workflow for patterns/jamming. Havenā€™t used modstep with external midi and I find linking internal ipad apps kind of clunky still so I didnā€™t really enjoy it much. Still pretty good as a random ideas scratch pad tho and possibly would have liked it far better if I learned it properly and used it with external hardware.

If youā€™re looking at ipad, Beatmaker 3 app looks almost identical to the mpc workflow/ui/feature set. Been in development for ages and looks good. Maybe worth a look -

Edit - Beatmaker 3 seems actually more thoroughly developed than Live in a few areas possibly -
More/deeper modulation options across various levels for single/multiple parameter (lfos, macros etc)
Midi scenes(clip launch)
Song arrangement view.
possibly better standalone timestrech algo.
possibly better fx options (especially if they nail the ios vst equivalent and you can use 3rd party)
possibly onboard synths/samplers galore. Mentions ā€˜hostingā€™ other apps, like synths etc. Iā€™ve not used this ā€˜hostingā€™ option on ipad before. Wondering how much like using a vst it is? Like does it autoload the external app and patch?

Main turns offs are no drag/drop export/import. I resent having to use iTunes/Dropbox etcā€¦
No daw integration.
Ghetto rig (ipad+pads+interface velcro job compared to slick mpc hardware all in oneā€¦ Not even sure this would work without a powered USB hub in the mix? Cablesā€¦ )
At the mercy of ios updates screwing with you from time to time. But same could be true of mpc. And Beatmaker 2 always felt like it got updates nice and regularly before their attention moved more on to BM3. Not sure same can be said of akai, they have a bad rep for thatā€¦

Itā€™s pretty close between the two options for pros + cons. Especially for anyone owning a half decent ipad alreadyā€¦

1 Like

Been a betatester for modstep for some time now. IMHO its not ready for primetime yet, but YMMV.

My main gripe with ā€œserious music useā€ on iOS is that timing suffers under processing load. When you push the CPU, even the apps start to losee their timing.

2 Likes

Styleflip shouldā€™ve had templates for the Touch and Live by now. Looks like its the old fashioned spray can and decals again for customization. But canā€™t do anything until warranty expires.:frowning:

Cā€™mon Styleflip!

1 Like

dv247 & Juno raised the prices too soā€¦Iā€™m outā€¦Bye bye AKAIā€¦

Starā€™s Music in FRANCE received stock for MPC Liveā€¦ i think thereā€™s probably not the only one you should receive some news very soon for Europe :wink: Mine is shipped Today so i will probably get it May the 24 :wink:

8 Likes

I think I missed out on the first batch but keeping fingers crossedā€¦

1 Like

It turns on right out the box. Its gonna wow the shit out of you.

Getinthemix are still listing MPC Live @ Ā£799 in the uk.
http://www.getinthemix.com
No idea if they will hold to it, but I`ve dipped my toe and ordered today

1 Like

You may well have taken the last pre order in the UK as their up to the new price now. :sunny:

Congrats : )

999 ā‚¬ for me as well i confirmed :wink:

2 Likes

If iā€™m not happy with it i will offer it here at the same price so rather to get back to the store someone could have it at the original price. itā€™s a test for meā€¦ i tried OT, Toraiz and i will keep oneā€¦ donā€™t know if it will be the MPC Live for nowā€¦ i guess it should be exactly what i need but in practiceā€¦ sometimes thereā€™s a difference with specifications on the paper :wink:

I will send it shipment include for compensate the opening parcel. Normally in 7 to 14 days i will know if it suit my needs

5 Likes

Mineā€™s expected to arrive by tomorrow night. Anything specific regarding using OT & live together for MIDI sequencing ext gear anyone wants to know that I could test? Canā€™t wait to try this :evil:

2 Likes

I might end up in the same boat after some time with the OT vs Live thing. Or I might just think fck it and go all in and learn to use them both. Waiting patiently to hear something from Red Dog Music but looking forward to seeing what you guys can do with the Live too when you get hold of it!

1 Like
  1. DL the software, ilok auths etc
  2. copy my old MPC2500 progs, samps ands seqs in
  3. copy a bunch of wavs/aiffs in
  4. make midi programs for my gear with the software editor, mapping relevant CCs etc
  5. start sequencing a bunch of stuff + H9 + heat resampled back
  6. to be continuedā€¦
4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Going back to Maschine, etc

Price went up here aswell, and with that my interest in MPC live.

Seems the main interest in live for some was the price, more than whatā€™s actually on offer. Tho In contrast to competition itā€™s still the best option as far as I can see. Soā€¦ as annoying as it may be, and I do sympathise if you missed the launch price, if your in the position that you could find cash for it before, the extra surely doesnā€™t take much more saving?! If you genuinely wanted it in the first place that is.

Itā€™s a bummer to pay a bit more for anything, but itā€™s also pretty much the cost of a weekend out with ya pals ā€¦ not that I get to do that much these daysā€¦ :blush:

Money is not the case hereā€¦AKAI shouldā€™ve announce that this was the launch price and after they would change itā€¦Thatā€™s just bad business!

2 Likes

Anybody tried these ? worth it ?

http://www.akaimpc.com/mpclivevideo.html