MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Haven’t heard anyone actually say the standalone algo is ‘bad’, but I think there are 3 levels of quality and its the bottom one, called ‘akai’. I think the others are Elastique algo.

If they’re as individual as the different timestrech algos on Ableton or in Kontakt then it would make using the Live kinda ‘shot in the dark’ for sound design. Like ‘ok, maaaaaybe this sample will sound OK later on the better algo’. But mainly it could have an impact on being able to use the Live to play timestreched polyphonic samples live at shows and have them sound how I’d like. I don’t wanna feel forced to bounce everything down in Daw with the good algo, it’d be nice to feel like it sounds good enough with standalone algo to actually ‘play’ anything I wanted to live. I need to test one out. Maybe it’s fine… But FWIW the new Beatmaker 3 app seems to have Elastique realtime timestrech included, so it just makes me ‘meh’ a little that Akai flaked out…

Just kind of disappointed to see that the best quality algo isn’t there in standalone. Makes me doubt Akai’s thinking/vision in general in terms of it fitting with how I want to work…

But yeah, the sofa>daw integration is very cool. That’s a big deal for convenience/speed. Like I said, I’ll probably get one at some point if I dig it after trying one out.

1 Like

Can anyone shed some light as to how the Live handles song transitions? I’m aware that sequences can be chained together to form songs but I’m wondering if songs can be “chained” together? Really looking for a way to use multiple songs in a set without stopping the sequencer. I don’t have my Live yet btw, still waiting.

A lot of hit records used Akai time stretch over the years. I heard Live’s stretch a few times and to me it sounds great. If It’s not your cup of tea then you just move on. You can always use DT’s time stretch algo :wink:

Yeah it’s prob fine if you want an ‘effect’. But some people want the option for timestrech to sound vaguely real too :slight_smile:

Edit - I’m not knocking it. Just saying i want to try it out in a store before I decide I want it. Which im in less of a rush to do now that it’s £160 more expensive…

It’s probably the best time stretch algo in a hardware box at the moment but if does not meet your requirements you can get something with better algo :wink:

About the price… I’m not happy with that but let’s be honest. It’s still the best bang for buck on the market. Ofc everyone have different needs. Some may like the volca sample and that is fine if cover their needs.

2 Likes

Like I said, I’ll def try it out at some point :slight_smile: Doesn’t have to be the ‘best’ timestrech, just flexible in terms of doing both weird and real(ish). I never heard anyone rave about the Akai timestrech algo like you just have, but maybe I missed it…

Agree the price is still good in comparison to toraiz/ot/DT etc. Just take me a while to forget the old price :wink:

^ jus think of the “old price” as a pre order special that wasn’t announced. :wink:

1 Like

I just feel betrayed from the price. I wont buy it - i wait untill the masses have tested it.

1 Like

OK i have some news from a music shop boss, it seems the problem with price is relative to pounds > euro : Brexit … fluctuation in the currency.

Cannot say if it’s legit or not. But that’s what the music shop are going to claim…
Relative to Akai United kingdom because the distribution to Europe is going to be delivered from UK.

I don’t know if it’s a valid explanation.

Probably a false explanation because price drop also in US and everywhere. Or AKAI worldwide distribution is UK based I don’t know

Im no currency expert but I’m aware enough of the general movements. It feels a little lazy blaming FX though there is likely truth in it.

Current projections would indicate some sort of £ price increase would have been on the cards but I refuse to believe that these would drive a 20% price hike. Just feels excessive and taking advantage of the huge interest and demand. Annoyingly for those paying in euros, projections look pretty static or slightly improving so why that would drive a similar increase I have no idea.

Anyway, it’s easy to blame big bad Brexit or FX generally but Akai must surely be sitting tearing their hair out on this one. Despite a recent rally, the £ was projected to weaken progressively throughout 2017 as much as a year ago!

Apologies for one of Elektronauts most boring posts ever.

1 Like

didn’t Dan state that the offline (ie. non realtime) timestretch uses the best quality algo? Offline timestretch is available in standalone mode.

3 Likes

havent payid anything yet, which is SOP at my local retailer…

Maybe the case, but I wouldn’t be able to ‘play’ a sound polyphonically using that algo unless it’s realtime… I’d have to bounce separate notes offline and make a multisampled Keygroup instrument or drum program. Valid workaround I guess but not really the workflow indicated in all the Andy demos etc and maybe a vibe killer, or maybe not. I’ll try one out at some point, not in a rush atm, got some other stuff I need to focus on for a while :wink:

It’s a shame you can’t do that with your favourite live algo witch you never heard :smiley:

2 Likes

Why are you so enthusiastic for me to buy something that I’ve never heard and trying to bicker with me about it? When all I’m saying is that I’ll try it first at some point, I’m in no rush. If I grab one it’ll be via selling other gear or on finance. Which is ballache to organise/cancel/return etc. I’d rather just try it in a store as I’m in no hurry. What’s wrong with that? If someone is able to be patient then surely an educated purchase is better than unbridled consumerism? I’ll only buy one if it does what I want/need. That’s sensible no? Weird how you’re so defensive about something you didn’t design and don’t profit from. If it works for you then cool, doesn’t mean it will for others and a wise man would make sure before buying…

1 Like

I don’t want you to buy anything. It’s just strange to me that you complain about time stretch algorithms without hearing them. Don’t you think?

2 Likes

No stranger than you saying they’re fine for my needs without hearing them or knowing what I need from them. Just let people have their own set of requirements and gas level, doesn’t affect yours :wink:

Edit - The fact that the onboard timestrech algo is 3rd in quality down the ladder of algo quality must have ‘some’ significance, otherwise they wouldn’t have different levels. I don’t need to hear it to have doubts raised. That’s enough info for me to make me want to try before I buy.

1 Like

@Callofthevoid & @Yoko : Guys calm down otherwise I will need to buy each one a plane ticket from your countries to France, 3 Drinks at the airport to stop this and make things cool

And, contrary to CalloftheVoid :wink: I preorder the damn thing so I will be short on money if I do that :joy:

Edit: not I don’t want to do it but if you don’t mind I will try a lottery before

All good :slight_smile: I only said I wanted to try it out before I buy! Dunno how anyone could say that’s a bad idea if someone isn’t in a rush :confused:

Drinks in France sounds cool tho so maybe we should continue to bicker and get those tickets :wink:

1 Like