MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

:joy:

They have gone up in various stores in the UK as well (all will follow no doubt) its £1000 now, not such a bargain now…

Prob skip it til/unless prices come down…

Edit - looks same old price still in all except two store in quick Google shopping search? It was higher at couple stores before for a while then went back down. Akai have said £799 a LOT in vids… Pretty lame if they hike it last minute.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the two sites that have shown increases are linked to some sort of algorithim linking prices to searches. It happens in other markets. Still, a massive c25% hike is mental!

Oh man, next you’re going to tell me that Barry White isn’t responsible for getting me laid!

Anyway, I’ve read that article before. From memory Linn says what you’ve quoted, but then goes on to admit that MPC swing templates don’t sound the same on software. I think he’s just modest.

Good to hear , thanks.

A grands still a fair price weighting up the comparable competition, I wouldn’t say it’s a rip off at all fir what you get … tho, it’s still 799 in most places I can see. I can’t imagine they’re gonna hike a price before it’s even reached Europe ?! That’d be a daft move imo.

Price drop in Juno 930€ shows on my browser so the 799£ still stands…

2 Likes

A rip-off would be that Toraiz SP-16. $1500 for Dave Smith’s name on a box.

1 Like

Future music did a good review of the live.
I am still very keen on picking one up. Maybe by the end of summer, when the madness slows down a little.

Yeah exactly, tho I’m sure the toriez is worth the price too, jus Live is at a very fair price point!! A thousand is where I’d have expected it to be tbh.

I suppose the other full featured stand alone sampler that comes to mind here is OT… not exactly comparable, tho that’s still a cool G new.

Exactly. Akai seem to have gone very sharp on price, but I’d probably pay more if I knew there was an absolute commitment to get the bugs sorted and improve features.

They’re making the right noises, but something like the Rytm update - for example - would be hard to beat for commitment to the product.

Yesterday, I received a printed catalog in the mail from “Bax Music”, a major retail chain of music gear over here in The Netherlands. This printed catalog listed the price of the MPC Live as €999, but in their web store it’s now listed as €1199.

The printed catalog also listed the MPC X as €1799 while their web store now lists it as €2199.

I think we can give Roger Linn proper credit for all the great work he has done without pretending he has somehow imbued the machines he designed with magic. :slight_smile:

Please point me to the quote where he says that in that article.

I should preface by saying my original post was tounge in cheek, but here’s Linn anyway.

I’m not sure what elements are included in each product’s groove template, so I can’t comment specifically other than to say that some that I’ve tried didn’t seem to provide the results I was looking for.

Reading it all again, he’s trying to say you need to also have some skill in programming and sound audition/creation, which I couldn’t agree more with. Doesn’t stop me wishing I could J Dilla with a magic box.

2 Likes

"I’m sure you’re aware of the MPC3000 groove templates which have been doing the rounds over the last couple of years. What are your thoughts on those? From what you’ve said so far, it seems like there isn’t a reason why they’d offer any advantage over a similar swing setting in a DAW. Some of the claims which are made for them are rather far-fetched. “Make your beats swing like J Dilla’s with these MPC groove templates…”

Roger Linn - I’m not sure what elements are included in each product’s groove template, so I can’t comment specifically other than to say that some that I’ve tried didn’t seem to provide the results I was looking for. It seemed to me that they are a sort of a ‘swing for dummies’ that didn’t work so well because certain swing settings work at some tempos but not at others, and it won’t add the note articulations (per-note dynamics, etc.) of a well-played beat. I’ve tried to make products that assume you already have talent but merely enhance that talent without spoon-feeding you. For example, the ultimate groove template is to simply select from a variety of preset drumbeats, but it doesn’t take any talent to do that.

2 Likes

One issue with those “groove templates” is that they inherently only give you a single fixed swing setting per template.

In my experience, the magic happens when you program a beat and then turn the swing knob while listening closely to find the swing amount that works best for that beat at that tempo. If you change the tempo, you might want to change amount as well and the other way round.

I think this is what Linn refers to when he says (emphasis added):

It seemed to me that they are a sort of a ‘swing for dummies’ that didn’t work so well because certain swing settings work at some tempos but not at others, and it won’t add the note articulations (per-note dynamics, etc.) of a well-played beat.

Nice

2 Likes

Hi there,

I have made a reservation to buy the MPC and, from the store, I have been confirmed that the sale price (in Spain) for the MPC Live will be 1200 euros :frowning:

With this price increase Im out. Until it comes back down.