MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

@ILL-GREEN: could you please confirm that it is really working that way on the hardware? i dont find any info regarding this. in fact i dont find videos of someone showing how the automation is edited on the hardware itself. for me this is a necessity - my purchase decision depends on that :slight_smile:

It not gonna work until you have something on the Program. But straight from the manual, page 26:

"Automating various parameters is a good way to add some
motion and dynamism to your sequences.

1. Press Menu to open the Menu, and then tap XYFX to
    enter XYFX Mode.
  2. Double-tap the XYFX Location field, and select
    Program.
  3. When you first enter this mode in a project, you will be
    prompted to ā€œloadā€ XYFX to the program. Tap Insert
    XYFX to do this.
  4. Tap Setup to show the Setup panel, which controls
    how the XY pad behaves.
  5. Double-tap the Preset field, and tap an effect to select
    it. (These are just the effects available in XYFX Mode,
    not all MPC effects.) Swipe up or down to view the
    entire list.
  6. Tap and drag any of the knobs (Attack, Release, or Wet/Dry) up or down to set their values as desired. Below
    them, you can see what parameter the X axis and Y axis control.
    Note: XYFX uses an envelope to control how quickly the effect crossfades between the dry signal and wet signal.
    The Attack knob determines how long it takes the completely dry signal to reach the wet signal (determined by
    the Wet/Dry knob) after you touch the XY pad. The Release knob determines how long it takes the wet signal
    (determined by the Wet/Dry knob) to return to the completely dry signal after you touch the XY pad.
  7. Tap the automation button in the upper-right corner to cycle through the available automation modes. Make
    sure it shows the red Write (W) option.
  8. Press Play Start to start recording.
  9. As you record, move your finger over the XY pad on the touchscreen. The changes in the sound are being
    recorded as automation of both the X axis and Y axis parameters.
  10. When you are done recording, press Stop.
  11. Tap the automation button in the upper-right corner to select the green Read Ā® option. This ensures your
    track uses the automation you just recorded when you play it back.
    See Operation > Modes > XYFX Mode to learn more about using this feature."

Ill

Have you tried recording vocals or anything on the audio tracks? Is it looking like it will be a good DAW/multitrack recording solution?

Everything is in the sequencer. I have one sequence at 99 bars and recorded a long sample I plan to chop. It is definitely possible to create whole songs DAW style. There is Pad Mixer to adjust the volume and panning of the samples on the pads plus editing tools, its actually more fun than a DAW, only no VSTs in standalone.

Song Mode is just drag and drop sequences onto a list. Like Intro, verse, chorus or you can work in a single sequence instead. I usually work on one sequence on MPCs but Iā€™m going to experiment if its possible if the sounds of Seq1 can bleed onto Seq2, because I donā€™t like sounds cutting off abruptly especially vocals that can overlap a bit over hooks.

Iā€™ll keep you guys updated, havenā€™t used it fully but Iā€™ll be off for 18 days in June and plan to make beat making videos, maybe 3 or 4 vids.

1 Like

Is there a list of all the audio effects available in standalone?

You can download the full pdf manual, its on page 191 to 206 (there is a lot so I cant really cut and paste!)

2 Likes
1 Like

Akai on the OS:

We used Linux as a base then spent years optimising it to provide the best performance for pro audio.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for that quote? Itā€™s interesting that they choose to go with Linux over whatever the embedded Windows variant is these days since they prominently demoed running that during a MS event a few years back.

Wonder how hackable it is/whether weā€™ll see people doing some interesting stuff? Either modified MPC OS or totally new instruments just using the Live as a hardware shellā€¦ Dunno enough about that stuff to know how feasible/attractive an idea that would be to coders etcā€¦

2 Likes

Facebook group:

The dev is called Simon Bangs. Read the comments on ā€œLive and X are Linuxā€¦ā€ post.

You can ask him a questions. Seems really nice guy.

1 Like

i read this manual already. and it basically told me that i have a symbol in the top right corner which i can put into three states: off, read and write. when in read it will overdub additional parameter movement and when in write it will overwrite everything. but it doesnt tell me if it overwrites every parameter on every track when i do write ā€¦

also: in the software you have automation lanes for the parameters you automated. according to one of the earlier posts in this thread those automation lanes are not available on the hardware. is that right? im not interested in those xyfx btw :wink: im interested in the parameters for the tracks themselve.

Thanks, highly appreciated. Sadly, Facebook requires me to sign in and I donā€™t want to create an account. :slight_smile:

You can make a fake one. They wonā€™t mind ; )

So, does that mean instead of using the audio tracks you are recording long samples, assigning them to a pad, and using them on midi tracks instead? If so, thatā€™s pretty cool because you can save audio tracks for other stuff.

I used to like song mode a lot for composing in my MPC1K. Even if you are using one sequence, Iā€™m guessing you could either have vocals on multiple tracks or on the same track on different pads set to poly mode (I forget if thatā€™s the right term on the MPC; the mode that doesnā€™t choke samples). That should allow samples to overlap if the sequence is long enough. Also, Iā€™m pretty sure there is a setting in the bounce to WAV mode that allows you to adjust the tail so that the last sample doesnā€™t get cut off.

Anyway, looking forward to the videos and more info. The Live isnā€™t available in Japan yet, so all this info is good to have before I pull the trigger.

In the MPC Live manual or the MPC software manual? I have to get familiar with this, its got tons of things to do. Will keep you updated.

For now, thats exactly what Iā€™m doing. Audio tracks are not like the MVā€™s audio tracks so when I get familiar with the Live, I will be utilizing them for remixes and full songsm

FB locked me out for being ILL GREEN. Someone snitchedšŸ‘¹

1 Like

yeah, i meant the MPC Live Manual. I know that both are different :wink: Thanks man. Could use this heads-up!

Akai MPC LIVE BLUETOOTH

3 Likes