MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

this is how it looks like when i browse to guitar center using an american proxy:

they simply detect my country with my IP and i guess they use a different web site in that case. i dunno. i still think that this has to do with an agreement with Akai.

congratz :slight_smile: now im pissed ā€¦ wanna get my hands on this thing ā€¦ :relaxed:

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the middle of moving so Iā€™ve barely gotten a chance to do much more than take my Live out of the box and make sure it works. It seems like itā€™s very bloated with preloaded content, so item #1 once I get some free time is to delete all of that except for some acoustic drum kits if any of them are good.

My first impressions have all been VERY good. This appears to be what Iā€™ve been hoping for since I got my first MPC 2000 back in 1998. Once everything is fully up to snuff with some updates I believe it will be the single best piece of gear Iā€™ve ever owned. So far everything is living up to my own internal hype that I built up for it since the ā€œleakā€ from Akaiā€™s marketing team.

Solid build quality, best touch screen Iā€™ve ever used (you can actually EASILY select a note at any resolution with 1 clickā€“very precise), sounds fantastic too, which is a big relief. I thought the pads on the left side would bother me as a right-handed fellow but it actually makes sense if you use it for a couple minutes. I end up using the touch screen more than I thought I would, and the knobs are all quite nice.

A small feature Iā€™d like to see is double tapping the touch screen to reset a value back to the default/previous setting (like tempo).

I suppose Iā€™ll just be doing demos/reading manual/learning workflow for the next month or two. Iā€™m looking forward to when units start shipping to more areas of the world. Iā€™m rooting for you guys in the (current) MPC deadzones, the wait should be worth it!

9 Likes

How you liking it so far?

I have it charging now, gonna get deep with it tonight. But from the first 20 minutes, I see its slick machine and built for a turbo workflow. Its really different than the old standalone MPCs (I skipped the Renaissance.) Its still an MPC but expanded. Gonna delete everything and sample some stuff to see how things operate. I did kept trying to find the Exit button and shutdown but that was easily overcome.

2 Likes

Awesome man. Iā€™m REALLY keen on hearing how you like it as a DAW in a box.

For people who really canā€™t wait; Every now and then I order gear from the US using a package forwarder such as myus.com. Has always worked fine.

so, howā€™s it going with the automation @ILL-GREEN? can you edit it on the box or do you really need the software on the computer for that? and if the latter is the case: can you at least (somehow) selectively delete or overwrite automation of a particular parameter without overwriting everything else on that track? someone posted something about automation issues on the hardware in this thread before. i would like to know if he was right ā€¦

2 Likes

Price difference is because the ā‚¬ price includes sales tax (19% in Germany?)ā€¦ the USD price in Puerto Rico does not.

Can I record to the SD card on the MPC Live II read somewhere that you might be able to use the SDXC card which are fast and have high capacity.

Enjoy!

Do keep the posts coming about things youā€™re trying out. In fact, donā€™t! I donā€™t need the excuse to preorder one of these!!!

2 Likes

I canā€™t find words to tell how much i wait to receive mine :stuck_out_tongue:
I didnā€™t remember to be in a similar state for another gearā€¦ (but itā€™s not really in conjunction with specs and features of this MPC Live, i donā€™t think so) This viral campaign with the long delay to wait tired myself to hellā€¦

EDIT :
And i do not understand why US people get this gear before everyone on Earth ā€¦ itā€™s simply not fair.

5 Likes

And I bet there will be more units sold in th EU than in th US.

2 Likes

Yes, it can be done in standalone. Automation can be recorded too using the X Y access screen. Kind of like a Korg KAOS pad, its pretty cool.

2 Likes

In the US but ordered through a UK company so still waiting on mine. Really just trying not think about it, quite an exercise in discipline. Obviously Iā€™m failing as Iā€™m checking on this thread. Damn.

3 Likes

congrats sir!

Thanks tsutek!!

All this time waiting for the Live, I was building this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_uroNmXcAAzTrw.jpg

10 Likes

cool. so i in fact have access to the automation lanes from the parameters i recorded?? nice !!!

1 Like
4 Likes

Some kind of a dark humour going on with Live having the same CV icon as the X just without the necessary hardwareā€¦ :rainbow:

1 Like