MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I love my Toraiz too, really looking forward to the next update with live looping. I am interested in the MPC live, but have no GAS for it because I still prefer to work with a X0X style step sequencer instead of the 4x4 grid sequencer. I also think that Pioneer isn’t by far finished with the Toraiz OS, they have to implement stuff so they can compete with the others, like MPC. Pad layering, more routing capabilities, FX stacking and so on. I am pretty sure Pioneer is really busy with this. They HAVE to.

I definatly want to do a side by side comparison with the Toraiz and the MPC LIVE sound and effect wise. Very curious if Akai can make that MPC sound as good as the Toraiz…

3 Likes

Yeah with the new competition from Akai I imagine Pioneer will add whatever they can and squeeze the Toraiz cpu etc til it’s maxed. Nice that the arrival of the MPC actually worked out pretty well for Toraiz users too :slight_smile:

Edit - from what I’ve read the pioneer effects probably kill the Akai one on one. But a lot more opitons/flexibility on that front in the MPC. Looks like it’s probably a trade-off either way… Everyone seems to rave about the Toraiz ‘sound’, be surprised if Akai match that but you never know… I remember some talk about it having surprisingly high quality converters etc?

2 Likes

Hope when the MPC Live drops in someone could make a VS comparison with Toraiz…

The main advantages of MPC in my opinion are the velocity as a modulator to things other than volume and also the sample layering per pad.

Seriously, once you start to layer samples on an MPC style device you REALLY miss it on any machine that doesn’t have it. As regards effects while Im sure the akai ones will be fine for day to day work Im not that bothered as I can just put the effects on the samples if I need to.

5 Likes

The MPC does have more capabilities but the question is do you need all that. Sure, I would love to see more things on the Toraiz as mentioned above, but the MPC is from the launch already much deeper. I personally don’t need half of it… but it is still very interesting…

1 Like

Toriaz vs MPC it’s just a personal preference really. If you like XOX sequencing then Toriaz will be the better choice. If you like banging pads, layering samples…, then the MPC is the tool for you.

MPC have pads for step sequencing but we will see how that feels. I’m not sure that i personally will like it. We will see about that.

In the end, you can create great tracks with both boxes so it doesn’t matter. Just grab the one that inspires you.

1 Like

How’s toraiz for sequencing up to 32 external instruments via MIDI though?

2 Likes

Honestly if the TORAIZ was finished with not that 32sec limit, FX2 in place and more time stretching algorithm … and Layering capabilities per slot… more sample editing…
Then, there’s nothing to beat it… because the sound is amazing !

But… not finished so. :stuck_out_tongue:
And a bit to big for live performer… form factor is also important… but they can’t make something on that point and the MPC Live is bigger than the OT too so…

Octatrack?

Multisampled keygroup instruments are a big deal for me on MPC. Been wanting that in a smallish sampler with a ton of memory forever. 64 voices, polyphonic tracks, linear sequencing, battery and more tracks also edge it over toraiz pretty easily for my needs. Can see that stuff not being important for everyone, especially those making stuff that perfectly fits Elektron type UI/workflow, in which case the ‘sound’ of the Toraiz sounds like a big draw. In UK the Toraiz is way overpriced in comparison tho, out of my league right now even if I wanted one.

2 Likes

OT sure. I replied to post comparing MPC vs Toriaz. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Octatrack is unbeatable on Long Evolving Audio Streams… and as an Audio Swiss knife hub… Scenes Morphing crossfader… there’s nothing on the market like that. it’s also feature 16 parts but 8 audio + 8 midi (fixed)

Toraiz is unbeatable on General Sound Quality including FX and Filter… but you can only work on Small Sample (32secondes max) it’s also feature 16 parts (you can choose how many audio midi but 16 max)

MPC Live/x is more like a station where you can do pretty everything but I guess there’s a cost on overall sound quality… master dynamic and onboard effects. MPC is probably better for Studio & Production (because of the Multisampled keygroup instruments but not only)

OT and Toraiz are probably better for Live performance.

Gonna be a lot of difference on that per user I think. For instance being able to play Keygroup instruments on mpc live at shows via an Op1, on top of all the other stuff in the mpc, is very cool/practical for a small footprint/non-laptop setup. Definitely useful for ‘players’, prob not quite so much for tweakers etc, can def see ot winning that one :wink:

for live setup I’m prob gonna try cut down to OT+MPC Live+Op1 + couple fx pedals. Pretty small setup with ton of possibilities :slight_smile: I might want some bigger keys in addition tho… I don’t have @cuckoomusic Op1 keys ninja skills :wink:

1 Like

Never used more then 6 midichannels :relaxed:

But still, are you gonna use all those 32 midi channels? The only way I can think of using 32 external instruments/fx are if you using a lot of vst’s but then there is no need for a standalone unit, I would then choose a nice midi controller.

But offcourse if you have a studio with 32 pieces of outboard/synths or some sorts then you would probably use a DAW to sequence all of those? I wouldn’t choose a standalone MPC for that or maybe use the renaissance. I don’t have any experience with an MPC as controller so sorry if I overlooked something. If you are an hardcore MPC user then I can imagine that the workflow will be good on the new MPC, very interesting come to think of it…

I am not meaning to say that those 32 external instruments sequencing is a bad thing but for me, its overkill.

Just my E6400 uses 16 channels. There it goes the one midi out port. Multitimbral instriments is the reason you need that.

Access Virus TI(16 channels), Blofeld(16 channels), NordLead4(4 midi channels) and so on…

1 Like

Yes I can imagine that, but… is it easy to sequence it from a standalone MPC? All those channels? I am just interested because I never did that (I don’t have multitimbral synths like a Virus or something) Isn’t it easier to use a DAW for that? Or is the workflow of the MPC so good that you choose that instead of a DAW?

I’m just curious how you keep track of everything in a standalone sequencer like that.

Super easy. You select a track 1 for example and set midi field to A5. That means Midi out A, channel 5.
You are done.

I have empty project template that have Track for all external gear. Each track is named for the synth so i know what that track controls(Track1: MS20, Track2: Virus 1, Track 2: Virus 3, Track 3: Minimoog…) When i want to start new project just load it and you are ready to sequencing all the gear(including external effects units that have midi in) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone on here who has experience with both Maschine and recent MPC versions? I’ve used an MPC1000 with JJOS extensively in the past and then moved to a Maschine Mk2 running 2.0.

I like the Maschine workflow better than the “old” MPC hardware workflow in terms of concepts and the way stuff is organised structurally. I also like that I can access VST plugins easily even though I do find myself using samples more than I use VST instruments. I’d really like the idea of having a single, integrated device that can do almost everything I need rather than using a computer and dealing with the various VST user interfaces.

Given this background, a few more specific questions:

How does the “modern” MPC workflow compare to the old hardware MPC and/or JJOS workflow?

How does the “modern” MPC workflow compare to Maschine?

How good is the “modern” MPC software for chromatic sampling, what does the filters, envelopes, LFO, and other instrument features look like compared to Maschine?

MPC is always number 1 when it comes to multitimbral synths.
I remember way back, my brother had an MPC2000xl with several midi splitters in and out.
He had a rack full of emu modules, xl1, virtuoso, world expedition, a yammy 5000, Novation SN2 and drum station with a DPS12i and various bits n bobs.
He ran 2 synths into it as master keyboards, I used to think he was a space ship pilot!
The 90s…

4 Likes