MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I think its currently a negative but the presumption from Andy Mac chat is that it is in the works for a future update. Don’t bank on it but seems on the likely side down the line.

Ok thanks for the info. If its a yes it might replace my Octatrack otherwise no.
So right now audio track use the RAM ? i wonder how much RAM is left after the OS is loaded into memory.

Really not sure but the thing has like 2gb ram doesnt it? So should be plenty! I’m sure I read that each audio track can handle audio several minutes long so I see them as being a cross between the OT’s flex and static machines. Hugely oversimplifying things there!

I was sitting at work today thinking how much fun a Live and OT would be. Complete overkill for me but it would be a blast!

3 Likes

Yhea , i would like to have both too but i really dont need both.
Really like the Octatrack but since i have not much time left i could benefit from something simpler to use. Lets see , this thing is not even out yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t think it has been delayed, they always said April for Live and May for X.

1 Like

You are very much spot on IMO. Still, having EXACTLY the classic MPC workflow onboard is what makes this very appealing to me - you could think of the MPC having an OS line of it’s own, much like mac, windows, linux etc

There has been many iterations of this OS already, in the form of earlier standalone models, in a way. This only differs in technical implementation (and not everything running in native code but through a 3rd party kernel, much like osx)

2 Likes

Well AKAI always stated Q1… which can mean many different things. The dealers were getting up to their usual shenanigans to try and secure pre-orders, which muddied the waters.
Nevertheless…

I would have sold it in 2 boxes [PADS and SCREEN] and [16 Q-Links with OLED as an extension]
And have done it more small at the END… maybe PAD matrix with Smaller PAD between RYTM and Standard MPC.

That would be ideal result for users :slight_smile: Seems akai have destroyed the benchmark of how much is doable/feasible in one box at that price point.

Hopefully that causes other companies to raise their ‘base level features/spec’ bar and then its a case of them competing on a forward thinking creative/quality/ui level and things getting serious!

Be a result if the mpc live means an end to needless skimping on features/memory/processor etc. ‘Standard’ sampler functions should have accumulated over the years to a point by now where 99% of the mpc Live features set is staple. But Korg, Roland, even Elektron seem to often waste development time/opportunities and take sideways/diagonal/stationary steps …

Be cool to see those companies + ableton/NI going crazy inventive on units/features to get sales, but with a feature set/spec similar to the MPC live as the new ‘base features’ standard across all units in that price range. Let battle commence :wink:

3 Likes

The dealers were quoting early dates, true.

They said that they are aiming(exact word used) for Q1.

I don’t think you’ll see a standalone from NI or Ableton myself. Would it be worth the hassle for either to do it? I don’t think so. Akai found themselves in a bit of a unique position in that folks wanted a modernised MPC. Maschine/Push has always been built as a tethered device. That isn’t to say I wouldnt love to see something from both that allowed me to hit the couch and jam out but it doesn’t feel like the right business move for either. But hey, what do I know!

What I see likely in the longer run is Live/X forcing Maschine/Push prices down a little. Seeing it already with Studio and I expect something further to come. No doubt Akai has put the cat amongst the pigeons though so interesting times ahead.

I’d much rather Ableton knocked out a Push 3 with MPE built in across it’s 64 pads than go down the standalone route. That’s about all I’d like added. Maybe another touch strip.

I think we will see more and more hybrid solutions and standalone solutions in the futur… as there’s a lot of people asking more and more options or way to use their products + a good price point.

Also by doing that AKAI can restore the general brand image to something very positive. Like behringer did. But I hope that’s not a one shot communication strategy who are going to something like when they won a certain numbers of customers to coming back to price drop… where every FANboy or Sheep will going to spend it anyway because of their acquire status to the brand. Exactly what apple done for few years now already. This policy work on medium term but can be catastrophic when people realize/open their eyes !

That’s not the Elektron policy even with the Digitakt from my point of view today, and I trust them today the same way than the first day I receive my first device from them. (but I will not buy the DT and just wait for the next Elektron baby… I’m sure I will like it… even if I don’t want-need it. I perfectly understand the DT price point and release. Even with the fee for OB premium. it doesn’t break me in anyway.)

And I will buy the MPC Live it’s in preorder since few days now. (but I will take few month to pay it)

1 Like

If it’s the case we realize that fast with updates/drivers… as AKAI is not strong on that. very weak regardless the concurrency …

Example
Joe is interested in the Native Maschine. He likes the workflow, the software, the sound contents (samples, plugins). Joe buys Maschine. He then has to buy a new laptop because his current one can’t run the notoriously demanding Maschine (well done Apple! another sale). He needs a quality soundcard and buys a UAD Apollo (well done UAD!). Joe discovers that he likes the sound of the UAD plugins more… and gets AbletonLIVE which will run fine on his new computer and then gets an AKAI apc40… and sells his Maschine.

Or Native for less than a hundred dollars improve the Maschine hardware and sell him it for twice the price. He doesn’t need a new computer or soundcard. Joe saves money, Native makes more money, Joe is locked into Native product, the hardware will still work in 10 years and Native doesn’t have to keep up compatibility with newer Mac/pc.

The logic of the all encompassing workstation has always been there (NEKO, Korg OASYS), it has just never made economic sense because the ‘computer’ inside was never powerful or cheap enough.

4 Likes

For as much as people talk about standalone, I sometimes wonder if it’s all talk. Even in the MPC X sonicstate demo, what they ended up doing was transferring stuff back and forth and talking about the X as a ‘live’ device to perform the track you created in the DAW. Nobody’s going to want to give up their VSTi and ITB effects (or very few people). The MPC software is also unproven and will not replace other DAWs for a long time. Which basically means now you’re getting an X and still have to have a good computer and interface. Nobody is saving money or hassle in this scenario. Even with Elektron they’re moving BACK to ITB by having Overbridge be a focus. I think there was a shift to outboard for hands on tweaking that was missing for a long time (beyond vintage gear), and now that’s been played to its conclusion and people are realizing if they want to actually make and complete a track and not just fuck about they need the DAW.

I’m sure other companies are waiting to see if standalone devices are really going to be in a strong position, and how the X goes over. One of the things you learn in product development and marketing etc is that there is a big difference between what people say they want to do and what they actually do. Companies succeed by being innovative and unexpected with their products, not by focus grouping a bunch of people asking what they want and then implementing it. That doesn’t work in any industry - it only sounds good on paper.

2 Likes

I’m not totally sure of that, maybe you right I’m not an expert in marketing but I would say why Market studies are for… if it’s not to positioning in regard of that results and concurrency. But I’m a communication guy and not a marketing guy so I can have wrong on that. But again if there’s a breach with a HUGE amount of people ASKING for something… to claim you finally give them and it’s AKAI who respond to a HUGE amount of musicians requests, as a communication guy I would say it work to make the brand image better.
(and of course the sales goes same direction I think, there’s just to see the amount of people who will buy it on this thread)

Don’t forget Music industry is not like every industry it’s Professional people and passionated people… you can’t act exactly as in every industry the target is very specific profile.

I wondering a couple of things here as my mouth starts watering. Can the Live sequence the OP-1 and also can it power a Arturia keystep with the USB ports? My future backpack setup MPC live, OP-1, Korg monotribe with a Arturia Keystep to handle the melodic stuff. Ohh and a couple of Pocket operators for sample fodder. :loopy:

1 Like

I was thinking of using a small USB battery for the keystep myself. But since it has USB host mode, you’d reckon USB MIDI would work.

Been hyped about this (and equally vice versa - using the Op1 sequencers with the mpc) since it was announced. Should work? Major bummer if not.

3 Likes