MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

First thing I’ll do is delete all the factory content.

3 Likes

Hi admin. Another 2 days without any entry/comment here. You can close this thread :grinning:
First there was hope, followed by hype, now some disillusion here and there…what comes next? Behringer? :joy:

Even if I never use the sounds (never say never), I still like that they are onboard for “historical” reasons.

As for deleting those factory sounds, not sure you can do that… Has this been confirmed? It could be write-protected somehow.

2 Likes

April comes next, followed by june, july, etc…

What, you reckon Akai will never release these new MPCs? Impossible. Their reputation would be permanently lost. Sounds like you’ve never had to wait for stuff to get released?

3 Likes

It is so weird that elektron think that 1gb of space is sufficient for a sampler in 2017, I mean seriously these days a single sample pack can be 3gb in size.

3 Likes

Yeah, they seem to be speccing/pricing/functioning DT in alignment with their own products built on tech/cpu power 6+ years ago. It’s making them look a little ‘roland’ tbh. Doesn’t equate well to what other companies are offering now…

1 Like

and its only 64mb per project. not even per pattern / kit type scenario.
i for one shall be using a whole project per tune on it.

You right but there’s often in a sample pack from that size all sampler format, different file extension like wav acid, wav, aiff, different quality bit rate and frequency and also sometimes rex files… at the end you barely have 1giga… Then comes the times where you delete all things you don’t want and keep only few loops, top loops, chords, some bass and one-shot … at the end few mega…

Isn’t it ? :joy:

1 Like

There’s usually some loops you really fond of… but you put a kick, some extra drums (like a shaker oh yeah that magical shaker…) and the track is done and you shame on you so you delete this very nice loop hahaha

Sounds familiar, anyone ??? :joy:
Yeah DIY (Do-it-yourself) :wink:

They would have to be nuts to permanently tie up 10GB of space and never have before.

There is no way it will be locked.

1 Like

TBO … does it make much sense to store huge amount of samples on a sampler like MPC or OT?

I haven’t got many sample packages, but if I scan through them, I may find this or the other sound file, which inspires me, but most files share the same fate as many other “collections”. I keep them archived, because you never know … :wink:

Samples are transfered to my samplers (OT or MPC), if I know that I will use them for the next track or project. Keeps things thight. Having tried it the other way around for some time just forced me to acknowledge that I got lost, if I really searched something special on the device.

It’s like having an idea, searching for the perfect sample or preset, maybe even finding it in the end, but then realizing that the idea has evaporated :frowning:

1 Like

id prefer to have all my content on the machine so I don’t have to transfer more samples from my computer if I decide I wanna use em. personally

I never use loops, only one shots.

I edit down any loops into the best stabs, chords, basses, FX whatever one shot samples. Just the sounds I like.

I can turn a 1GB sample pack into 30MB quickly.

I just re-organised my sample collection for my OT and have got it down to just over 3GB and with that I have everything covered - too much in fact!

I mean a 2 second mono 16bit bass sample we’re talking 164kb not even a MB! A 4 second long pad stereo 16bit is 600kb! A short dub-tech chord 16bit stereo is 40kb! Unless you’re using sample pack loops in your music (cheaters!) then 64MB is workable, if a little stingy.

Then with OT there’s Static machines which gives you 64GB at hand.

2 Likes

Agreed. My OT card is rammed and always interesting to dig around and find something I forgot I’d sampled or a vinyl drum loop to slice that I hadn’t even heard before. And with the flexibility of the mpc you’re gonna be reaching for different stuff for different tasks. Loops/clips/multisamples for Keygroup instruments or making drumkits etc… Gonna throw the biggest SSD I can afford in there.

2 Likes

Wow pay attention to not spend a second MPC Live into the SSD :joy:
Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB is near 1000 euro… 1TB is again 450euro :stuck_out_tongue: ouch

1 Like

That might change on the MPC :wink: You can play polyphonic chords out of time stretched weird textural field recording loops etc :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Had an MPC4000 for years - never used loops :slight_smile:

Yeah I don’t need that much memory onboard! Prob something like 250gb. Dunno for sure if this one fits but first one to come up in Google search, only £90.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/internal-data-storage/samsung-850-evo-2-5-internal-ssd-250-gb-10116610-pdt.html?store=2223&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=pmrxiamwr&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1023+(PLA)+DATA+STORAGE+-+Adaptive~1023+(PLA)+DATA+STORAGE+-+Adaptive+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700018624764607&PLA=1&gclid=CIGMxYDI-dICFRQTGwodSQoB2g&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIWe5oDI-dICFaEi0wodWOUMjQ

I think I will probably think to a Western Digital Velociraptor 600 GB SATA III 10000 RPM 32 MB Cache
Same price a bit of more safety in time with read/write if i sample a lot… onboard
If it’s not too noisy… I didn’t have time and money to get one back in the days with SSD price drop on this velociraptor 10000rpm and if depend of power consumption regarding battery mode too I didn’t think to that maybe SSD is less Hunger in power

65 euro

EDIT : Dismiss this advise and stick to SSD according to your budget

1 Like

I never use loops either. As in just take a drum loop or instrument loop from a ‘pack’. But musique concrete/tape loop style found loops from obscure YouTube vids or field recordings can be interesting. And banking that stuff for slicing can be cool/useful too. Plus the mpc has a looper mode which may/may not be cool for making custom loops from other hardware/Guitar pedals etc and keeping onboard.

Also the mpc4000 didn’t have realtime pitch or timestrech iirc? I don’t think I’d use loops hardly at all in that situation either. Much more fun being able to warp/mess around realtime :slight_smile: