MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yeah one sample spread over all notes will be super fast. I meant multisampled Keygroup instruments, like 24 piano notes recorded to cassette and pedals and then back in to MPC and spread across the relevant keys. Hopefully it’s not too fiddly standalone. Guess can do tedious stuff like that in hybrid mode if needed tho :slight_smile:

Gonna be killer to build huge arsenal of unique user instruments for standalone battery power use. Hyped to make libraries. Like I have a bunch of go to AK + pedal sounds. Be sweet to have those onboard. And also be able to run that sound back out through other pedals or onboard fx etc. Hopefully only take like 5/10 minutes to do the whole recording/assigning process per sound. Then it’s there in the box for whenever you wanna use it :slight_smile: Always coming across amazing pedals+synth/guitar sounds that I forget or can’t be bothered to dial back in… Be cool to catalogue them like this.

1 Like

And you will be able to warp the sample so it stays the same length no matter the key or use it oldschool - lower goes slower and higher goes faster :smiley:

Can’t wait.

BW it will come with a lot of ready to use instrument programs. So you will not waste time to make pianos, organs, strings and so on. You will create Instrument programs only from your synths and then refilter/modulate them :slight_smile:

And one more thing. You will be able to create that programs on pc and trasnfer them. Maybe with mouse will a little bit faster if you are trying to create that piano program you are talking about(again, they will probably have one from that 10GB content that the live will come with).

Off-topic: I have mother-32 and wanted to play the filter(Prodigy - Break & Enter riff patch). Mother have terrible filter tracking that pisses me off, it can’t track for 2 octaves. I recorded the sine wave in a sampler(e6400) and create instrument patch. Now i have it every time i want something sounding clear like this. I do that a lot. Record some synth patch with effects(chorus, dist…) then push it further with the sampler. At the end it can sound completely different from the synth patch. Really enjoying this workflow. It takes time but it’s rewarding. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing it will come with a bunch of useable ‘standards’ - pianos, strings, organs etc. I’m talking about weirder/lo-fi sounding instruments, lazy/limited version of having my pedal board/amps on the sofa :wink:

Could always run stuff through pedals etc later at mix stage but it’s normally better to compose around the actual sound/effects. Less re-thinks needed at mixing :wink: Guess wait and see how much ballache it is to make instruments…

1 Like

That’s what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah hopefully some wonky stuff in the supplied instruments. Kinda looking forward to making some unique ones too tho :wink:

1 Like

Stretching sounds promising:

1 Like

But theres four algorithms in controller moder and only one in standalone mode. He doesn´t tell if its standalone or not.

This could help you build sample programs
http://www.samplerobot.com/funktionalitaet.htm

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that MPC Touch has all the same functionality as MPC Live as long as I keep MPC touch tethered to a PC?

If you use it with 2.0 then yes.

1 Like

Okay thanks. Then I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about…

…not tethering to a pc :wink:

Better responsiveness on screen too apparently + possibly some other hardware improvements.

But yeah, standalone with battery power + a million other selling points is a big deal. Look around at other hardware and compare functions. Forget for a sec that its a controller/hybrid and think of it as a regular piece of gear or a traditional MPC. A lot under the hood. Amazing bang for buck.

If you’re a Touch owner and don’t need/want portability away from a computer then Yeh, not much reason to grab it. But if not…

Well… For me, not having to lug around a nunchaku formed by an MPC connected to a laptop is a great thing.

Sofa jams? enough said.

But to be fair, if you’re mostly making music in a studio room that has a computer and you don’t move around, it’s not a big deal at all.

2 Likes

That’s what the X is for! :diddly:

But yeah, remains to be seen if going with a surface pro connected to an MPC touch is still a better choice for some cats… Some peeps claim the converters on the touch are rubbish tho? But for me, I ain’t even considering getting more controllers that are useless without a computer specced to their requirements (which eventually become outdated).

2 Likes

Dedicated all in one hardware is going to be million times better than a pc with its constant updates and driver issues. Also the live has corrected all the flaws of the touch, hopefully.

I’d say touch and surface would only be your first pick if you already owned them

What flaws does the Touch have?

And doesn’t MPC Live also rely on MPC Software (just like Touch) and aren’t some features only available in tethered mode (like plugins and unlimited audio tracks) with Live too?

The only time i will connect it to pc will be for software update :wink:

1 Like

as far as I knew, the new MPC family arnt advertised to rely on a computer at all, but both have some enhanced features (and plugins if you wish) by being connected to a computer… This is what they call “best of both worlds” unlike the controllers they have been releasing over the last years. Elektron have OB for this same reason, best of both.

These are a new breed of “stand alone” instruments that like to play with everyone : )

2 Likes

Maybe not ‘flaws’, but things have been improved.

The vst thing is moot. I use VSTs when I mix my Elektron boxes. Doesn’t mean they aren’t amazingly useful away from computer too :wink:

Your thinking is probably influenced by the fact you already own a Touch. If portability isn’t a big deal for you then it’s a lot of money for what can be seen as minor hardware upgrades. But for most new customers the Live is infinitely more appealing/practical… Massively so…

Yes but the software runs in dedicated hardware, each made in conjunction with each other. Running on a pc is totally different as there are thousands of different combinations of hardware and components in the wide range of pcs.

Also the new hardware is different than touch as in better screen etc and people did complain of lag etc in the touch.

Also having soundcard and all the audio processing done in the hardware removes need for drivers etc and removes any conflicts that may occur using touch plus pc plus audio device which could be any combination of products.

Surely the benefit of a dedicated all in one system over pc, hardware, audio device combo is a no brainier?

1 Like