MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

CV is “analog” so there is much more resolution (theoretically unlimited but we all know that physics imposes certain boundaries for practical use :diddly:), both in time and freq domains compared to MIDI. However, this also means that stuff like sysex etc is usually not implemented for CV i/o based systems (although I suppose you could use CV signals for encoding digital data as well?).

Cats with a lot of experience working with modular synths can probably explain all this in more detail…

2 Likes

Yeah forgot about the resolution, smooth not s m o o t h !

1 Like

All you have to do is send a hot high volume/pitch sine wave through one of the separate outs and you could at least use that as a gate or sync out for euro-c(rack) 1/4inch to 1/8inch cable is all you need.

1 Like

It sure does! Will def keep posted if I pick up, although looks like it’ll be a while. Anyone else have any thoughts regarding the mpc workflow?

Line level signal is max 2 volts. Usually around 1.25v. Gate needs 10 volts. You need at least 5v to have 5 octave range. Imho live will not have GATE/CV on normal 6 outputs.

This will be a bad idea. If they do that and you are conected to the mixer and send gate by mistake you will probably blow out the mixer :smiley:

There are midi to cv converters if someone want that but don’t want to buy MPC-X:

2 Likes

I have similar needs - I like your ideas for workflow!

1 Like

He does not control pitch(CV) and he uses Make Noise CV Buss module to gain the line level signal(amplify it to 10v) so he can use it as gate. Then he connect it to the envelope generators. You are better off with the MIDI->CV module that i suggested. That way you will control the pitch of the synth, not just trigger the envelope generators.

The CV Bus also has the tools needed for integrating the Make Noise system with the outside world. A 1/4" Mono input with plenty of gain allows for bringing external signals into the system. The optimal 10Vpp signal level is visually indicated.

Akai would do well to introduce “sidecar modules” to their standalone MPC range. USB-based CV outs, 4x4 Qlink rotary controllers, extra DIN MIDI i/o etc, which could be connected to the USB host port of either of the new MPCs and which would be natively supported by the standalone 2.0 OS. Modularity is cool

4 Likes

That why mentioned it in my original post. You can control gate and sync with samples off a MPC.

That’s the beauty of eurorack modules, so many ways to explore it.

hopefully this will be it for us!

+1
another thing that powered my GAS recently is going back to Gadget on my iPad… sure, it doesn’t sound very good (to my ears at least, all synths sound pretty toy-ish)
but I find the piano roll interface pretty fast and intuitive for creating melodies and harmonies… so having something similar (and pretty sure a lot better) on a dedicated hardware might be really good for my worflow - with the plus of beeing able to use my synths with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah man, piano roll destroys a step sequencer for melodic/poly editing or programming for me too. Way faster/easier to get intricate.

Been recording some f&"ked up pedals stuff this week, couple octaves of each one, ready to make some messed up keygroup instruments. Gonna be interesting when people start sharing/selling instrument sounds like these :wink: Hopefully the process of putting them in to an instrument in Live is pretty quick…

3 Likes

My brother had an mpc 1000 and used to use this, he swore by it…

Maybe a new version or similar will be available…

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check it out

I seem to remember he used recycle to chop up his classic breaks and tidy them up then would export to blue box to make a program for the 1k…
It was years ago though, I’m just going by hazy memory😄

1 Like

yeah I also hope there’s a quick way to create programs (these are like kits, right?) so I can create custom drum machine sample collections…
another thing I’m curious about is the wifi integration - I don’t know if it’s been 100% confirmed, but if it eventually works with Ableton Link, I could sync it with my iPad, with no cables… seems like a great companion - plus I could connect it through usb and sequence synths with the MPC

Programs (yeah, like kits. And global across projects IIRC) look super fast to make. Select samples for pads and save :slight_smile:

Keygroup Instruments probably a little more long winded, depending how many samples to allocate.

Yeah, USB hub for ipad/op1 is gonna be handy/minimal cables :slight_smile:

Instrument programs should be even easier. Select a sample and start play it chromatically right away. Ofc if you want to layer velocity it will little more work but still - it should be straight forward as any other akai sampler.

1 Like