MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Mononome is my mate :slight_smile: Great guy with some amazing finger drumming skills!I opened for him in 2 Live gigsā€¦Also opened for another good friend tooā€¦His skills are insane!

Couldnā€™t follow his hands!Warp speedā€¦:rocket:

4 Likes

Checkout his channel:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve watched Billa Qause with my own eyes playing drum & bass this way with only one handā€¦Trust me he kicks arsesā€¦

1 Like

Hope the MPC Live weā€™ve been sold doesnā€™t end up too good to be trueā€¦

3 Likes

You said exactly what I heard from music shop salesman or read a lot on internet. People have a lot of difficulties to trust ā€¦ They said it must be somethingā€¦ itā€™s too wonderful for be real. Weā€™ll see :wink:
itā€™s seems delayed for now as every company new products announcements when the request from possible customers is highā€¦ and on that one I guess thereā€™s huge pre-order.

2 Likes

Uhā€¦whatā€™s up folks? No more rumours in this group since 2 days.
At least all shops (over here in Germany) have adjusted the price for the X to 1899.- EUR. Although Iā€™d love to have the X, I really start to consider buying the Live instead and spent the other 900.- EUR for an iPad and some apps like elastic drums instead

1 Like

However, Iā€™ll wait for the Frankfurt pro light & sound fair anyway and see whatā€™s new. I am still hoping for Roland and a new MV. And then I would be even more confused what to buy :wink:

2 Likes

amazing

I was surprised by the lack of gossiping too, two whole days!

Reading the GAK sales blurb, it mentions configurable outputs and CV outs. So, whatā€™s the deal, CV out on the Live for real?

"In regards to connectivity, there are a whole host of options on the back of the unit. There is a built in 2-in/2-out interface on this model, two audio inputs and 6 configurable 1/4 inch jack outputs.

New features include Standalone functionality, CV outputs, audio track recording, clip launching, MPC 2.0 Software and a whole load more."

i think no cv on live

Thatā€™s just a lack of attention to detail by whoever put that as a description for the Live.
In this cut and paste world idiots donā€™t even read through what they copy or paste.
Itā€™s a f^<{ing disgrace!
No CV on the Live, I canā€™t be bothered to check but GAK probably have a picture of the unitā€™s rear panel on the very same page!

Iā€™m not expecting there to be 1/8 inch CV outs on the rear, but if the outputs are configurable then I donā€™t see why this couldnā€™t be implemented. Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s a good possibility

1 Like

Hey all-
Maybe someone with some MPC experience can help me understand if this is what Iā€™m looking for, as this sounds as if itā€™s structured the same way.

Ideally I want to perform completed tracks made elsewhere (would use a few audio stems) live with flexibility to extend sections, etc., all while sequencing a few synths. The song forms, sequences have some nuance, definitely not just 64 steps repeating. Iā€™d want to roughly prearrange the song forms but having the options to repeat sections, loops a few bars or jump around is crucial. From what I understand the way in which you can arrange patterns on an MPC is a bit more flexible than what Iā€™m currently using (octatrack). In addition to extending or looping sections on the fly Iā€™m wanting some flexibility with transitions between songs, Iā€™d assume theyā€™d tie in together.
It seems as if itā€™s very much capable of this. Can anyone share some insight on how it might work for the uses Iā€™ve described? How are ā€œsongsā€ treated within an MPC and regarding transitions? How it might, in other ways, give a more flexible live approach. Any obvious limitations? I want to be as flexible as I can performing this music, thatā€™s what make a set ā€œliveā€ imo. Iā€™ve just had trouble finding a live method somewhere between working with building simple loops and DJing a finished track.

Thus far Iā€™ve been managing on an octatrack, on which I still havenā€™t found an ideal approach. Itā€™s a great piece for all that it does but I feel as if itā€™s really not designed for what Iā€™m trying to do. Iā€™m basically wanting an octatrack with a way more in depth arranger, longer step length within patterns (for external sequences) and a better time stretch algorithm. Iā€™ve been strongly considering ableton/push 2 but loathe the idea of taking a laptop on stage.

Beyond my primary needs this looks like an awesome set of features. I could see using this in lots of ways Iā€™m not even considering. If itā€™s capable of what Iā€™m thinking itā€™ll be a no brainer for me.
thanks.

1 Like

If they managed to change the hardware config at the last minute to DC coupled outsputs, they could theoretically be used for CV. However, I very much doubt this given the fact that mass production of the live has undoubtedly started some time ago alreadyā€¦

1 Like

It does look like itā€™s rather close to your needsā€¦ If you pull the trigger, please let us know if there are details you like or not wrt your workflow !

When I said about the picture of the Liveā€™s rear, I was lending weight to my comment that GAK were not paying attention to their description and just willy-nilly copied the Xā€™s features.
I wasnā€™t saying that you failed to note the obvious, just want to clear that up yeah!

But as @tsutek pointed out, it is safe to assume that CV wonā€™t be a feature on the Live upon release or in the futureā€¦

EDIT, Iā€™d buy the Live in a flash if it indeed had CV outs! Imagine recording your noodles and spaghetti into that things audio tracks for further molestationā€¦

1 Like

All it would take is DC decouple mod to the outputs and enabling the CV track for the liveā€™s OS. However, not sure how much voltage swing could be output from the liveā€™s outs (battery power/power supply limitations?), might still be unoptimalā€¦

Being able to switch an output to CV would be a killer feature indeed! Iā€™d get by just fine with 4 CVs for sequencing and resampling the result.

1 Like

CV noob hereā€¦
Whats the benefit of cv over midi out?

No need for a midi-cv converter and frees up the midi ports.
Also you can use cv for anything rather than just notes, so filter freq etc, use one channels pitch cv to modulate another voice/modulator etc altogether.
Use gate to clock other sequencers, open vcas with env trig, all sorts.