MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Ah yes, forgot about that one (which speaks volumes…). Let me rephrase: we haven’t yet had a proper video/demonstration of this thing sampling. We’ve just had some guy walking around the woods with a microphone.

Andy had delivered around about one million demonstrations covering the same functionality (albeit delivered well). Huge swathes of functionality hasn’t been demonstrated yet and it’s disappointing (and causing anti GAS!).

1 Like

For me, the endless delaying of shipment is causing the most anti-GAS. Sampling has been demonstrated in the masada videos already, there’s not much left to show wrt that.

1 Like

Seems kinda weird how gates seemed open, beta testers uploading videos that haven’t been removed etc, and then nothing except the same Andy mac demos. Maybe they all got re-called??

1 Like

Akai have repeatedly said it is basically MPC software 2.0 embedded but without VST support (currently, though I suspect from the hints Andy has been dropping they will build in the Air Hybrid 3 synth in standalone mode at some point).

So it will have the same sampling & sample editing functionality as the touch/ren/studio have. IE: pretty much all a regular samplist needs.

1 Like

Yeah i do get that, it’s just something I would like to have seen adequately demonstrated by now.

I do still see a Live in my future, just a shame they’re dropping the ball a bit after such an astonishing reveal.

Its weird, I am the core demograpic for MPC live. Heavily sample based finger drummer used to MPC workflow from the 2000xl and 1000 and I get literally NO feeling they have dropped the ball on this. I’m simply waiting patiently for release day and the in depth sonicstate etc reviews. Any negativity is entirely generated by people on forums like this with GAS (or anti GAS) either repping MPCs or another product the Live “wont be as good as…” :slight_smile:

On release week assuming it all works pretty much as promised I’ll fork out my £799 and get on with moving my program libraries from my 1000 to my live. until then Ive got my A4 and my toraiz to jam out on :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I’m probably guilty of falling into the Generation Now trappings - early vids came thick and fast but generally covered the same things. I just want to see more of the functionality. Akais hands will be tied with how progressed (or not) 2.0 is though.

I never gelled with the MPC2500 i owned briefly but i can still see myself jumping on board with this on day one. A Live and, say, a Deepmind 12 would make one hell of a combo. It’s still got me considering selling my Elektrons!

That’s not a thing of a “generation” … many people of each age jump on “marketing news” … that’s what marketing is for, in the first place. It’s just a question of experience and having seen many promises, which never came true :wink:

As much as I like what they’ve done with the deepmind, I need all the stock waveforms (sine/triangle/saw/sqr-pulse) and a multimode filter (LPF/HPF/BPF) for my desert island synth

1 Like

would be neat if they do Loom and Vacuum too

I agree to that

Seems like that dev guy at Akai’s dipping his toe in weirder areas than he’s used to. Hopefully he gets hooked and might see some more Elektronesque features on the mpcs afterall :wink:

@petegoodliffe’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/petegoodliffe/status/841452434039943168?s=09

I’ve ordered my Live and spoke to the dealer today who said they expect them them first week of April. No reason to lie as I was asking him to see if I’d have a bit longer to get the rest of cash together - I’ve already put deposit down. Plus I’ve known him a few years and he’s always been honest and open.

Re Roland. I had an MV8800 and it was great. Way more advanced than any MPC and excellent sound quality. I really liked it. It grooved well and sounded good. But it was also pretty slow.

Honestly if Roland really did release a new sampler (and there is no evidence to say that this is on the cards at all) I’d go for it. I’ve always really liked what Roland do, from my old Juno to my MV and even their SPs have been very focused and cool with great FX. If the MV wasn’t so slow I’d probably buy one and use one now.

A proper sampling Workstation like the MV with up to date tech would be totally badass and I would probably be like Akai Elektron who???

I think this thread may heat up soon…
DT backlash!

2 Likes

Looks like Elektron’s concern about there being no overlap between their products cannibalising each other’s sales means that they’ve kind of pushed themselves in to a corner. £700 for a MASSIVELY crippled OT that needs computer for separate outputs. No thanks… Id think twice even if it was £450… Mpc live all the way if it’s solid…

6 Likes

Pricewise the gap is closing!
Always favoured the MPC myself, now let us see if Akai make a move, it’s a potential 3 horse race here, if the Roland rumours are more than fumes…

Wooooo!
Sit back and enjoy…

go on Akai, implement P-locks and Elektron had better watch out. you’ll have my attention.

4 Likes

I find it very nice I would like to share it. On Two MPC older model (kind of Breakbeat and Instrumental HipHop from Wax Taylor to RJD2… FabricLive Freestylers, Herbaliser, DJ Format, … :

Mononome is from GREECE :

4 Likes

I love these LeMellotron videos - been listening for a while now - especially all the SP404 live stuff - really cool. Puts most of us to shame what some people can do with an SP! Mononome is good :slight_smile:

1 Like

WiFi & Bluetooth, so i can play without any cable connected?