MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Sh*t. All you need is an MPC One or Live and a digital mixer w/ fx and you got a party!

3 Likes

those tascams are looking kinda tasty for the price

Allen & Heath QU-SB is great, but it’s pricey.

Did you tried to use external mixer instead of mixing in MPC? I found this thread:

“The problem was caused by running audio into the MPC and using the MPC as the “mixer”, that causes the audio latency. Instead, I am running the MPC audio through the Rytm’s analog signal path, zero noticeable audio latency… and I get the added boost of the Rytm’s analog compressor and circuitry. So now we know, the MPC is not an Octatrack in that regards by any means, and sadly is not the best option for “Live” performance if you need a hub to run audio into. An external mixer would be necessary unless you have boxes with audio ins like these Elektrons”.

I know that latency and jitter are different things, but maybe it will help.

Low-hanging fruit first…

Have you checked to see if the pads in question are grouped and set to one-shot?

Cheers!

Just dropped by to invite all the MPC users to our second Elektronauts Hip Hop Battle! Join in if you can and please feel free to spread the word.

Try sending Midi to an external synth and transpose.
wayyy past swing :smiley:

1 Like

Ummm. So the key detection on stuff is really good.

OK. Akai. This one’s dope!

1 Like

How’s the autosampler so far? Read it was a bitt buggy. Seems so cool to just suck the synths out of your DAW

I should note that the only usb-midi involved would be from ableton -> scarlet 18i20 (usb-midi in, DIN MIDI out) -> mpc live (DIN MIDI in/out only) -> other gear.

If I’m not using ableton, then it’s just MPC (DIN midi out) -> other gesr.

Regardless if Ableton or the MPC is the master clock ( I don’t slave ableton to MPC ever), I don’t notice any flam/flange effects, unless the sample itself is off timing. I usually layer a kick (or hats) on the mpc and a kick (or hats) on other devices (BIA/modular stuff via uMidi->Varigate 8+ clk), Vermona Kick Lancet, or TR-8). Again, no flam/flange unless the mpc’s sample itself is swung or ill-sliced.

I have heard this happening in the past before the firmware updates some time ago, which was a huge concern before I bought it, but I’ve not had the issue myself. If usb-midi on the akai is in this equation, then I’m not sure, as that is something I just avoid to begin with.

The one annoying thing that I do notice in an MPC-master DIN MIDI out scenario, is if you start with the ‘play’ button, rather than ‘play/start’ button, midi does run amok.

I have a question about the new firmware update and using class compliant USB interfaces. I was excited about the news, but I wonder, whether its only me or others have similar experiences …

I connected two interfaces, which are “audio class compliant” according to their manufacturers:

• iConnectivity Audio 2+
  • QSC Touchmix 30 Pro

Both are recognized by the MPC and even on a very old MacBook, but if I try to switch on my MPC from “internal” to the interface, the MPC rejects both with error code “-22” - what ever this means - and some text tells me:

• that it misses PCM information of the interface, or
  • that it’s not sure that the sampling rate of the MPC can be handled by the interface.

Any idea, what I’m missing? Thanks for any advice :smiley:

This has been discussed in the mpc one thread. The mpc wants the audio interface to run at 44.1 kHz. My behringer flow 8 mixer runs at 48 so I get the 22 message. Read Darenger’s posts over there.

1 Like

Well, you certainly can’t argue with Akai’s post-release support so far, and I’m sure my inability to wrap my head around a solution won’t be holding them back.

It’s been too uncomfortably hot to really dig into the update so far, so I’ve been mentally cataloguing the class-compliant devices I have that might be interesting to try. It feels a like a good candidate for a crowd-sourced spreadsheet…

1 Like

Thanks to point me to this thread … it’s like I expected that the MPC requires 44.1 kHz, but there is more to it … I had my Touchmix running at 44.1 kHz :thinking:

1 Like

@NickD you have the MPC and the Force, right?

Do you use them both regularly?
What’s your % usage time between them (60% Force/40% MPC, etc)?
Which one do you default to?

I’m on that dangerous cusp of thinking the Force might suit me better than the MPC, especially as I’ve recently got into using Ableton with a Push 2, so it makes sense to be able to move projects between them… and I think the clip/session/arranger approach suits me more than tracks/seqs.

I’m thinking that I should add the Force and live with them both for 28 days, then either return the Force or sell the MPC…

I was using the MPC One as my main ‘hub’ until I caved and got the Force. The Force replaced it because I’m not a pad virtuoso, and the 8x8 grid was much better for things like playing scales and step sequencing. Also the macros feature was a big draw, and having eight knobs with their own displays makes editing much nicer - I’d often fail to notice the Q-Link page had changed on the One, and tweak the wrong parameter.

With the Force in place I was using the MPC as a separate standalone device for fooling around - I hadn’t connected them because the overlap meant there didn’t seem much point (prior to this update). However, one factor here is that the Force has a half-arsed aftertouch setup - the MPC is much better here. So combined with the new instruments, I could see a case for using them as a pair - until the next Force update and whatever that brings. My long-term plan was to use the MPC as part of another ‘station’, if you like - a separate set of gear to the Force.

If you’re not reliant on pad performance and are happy to trade some UX simplicity for feature depth, I think the Force is an excellent choice. Coming back to the One for the update, I was reminded that it’s quicker for a number of tasks - but then there are a lot of things you can only do on the Force. In terms of features, that might change - but it’ll always have the 64 pads and eight knobs (and crossfader!).

If you like Push 2 (which I haven’t used myself) then I expect it’d be a smooth transition. I do still get a bit sluggish with remembering button combos on the Force, e.g. for bringing up the plugin editor. It’s not onerous, though - it’s mainly a testament to how quickly I’d picked up muscle memory on the MPC One.

1 Like

Thanks, Nick, that’s a lot of good info, and a lot rings similar to me (I’m not a finger drummer/beat maker… and I really like the Push’s pad approach).

Also funny/similar, I just pulled out the MPC to update it yesterday and brought it into my workplace workstation to swap out the Digitakt I’d had there… this setup is currently 2 Moogs and a Roland JD-XA that I use for jamming on, then bring in my laptop and Ableton when I have something decent going.

The MPC is definitely better than the DT for me in this role, but when I get to the point of using Ableton I can work so much faster and less stuck in one loop (pattern on the DT or seq on the MPC).
I did this at the weekend, got a pattern going for an idea on the DT with a bass line and felt trapped… I jumped over to Push 2/Live and slammed down 10 or 11 other bass part clips in no time at all, and this gets me way closer to where I want to be.

I’m hoping that the Force will give me that kind of workflow and allow me to remain DAWless for longer… there’s a lot I like about the MPC, but I miss the speed of clips.

Anyway, I’ve ordered a Force now and should get it tomorrow. :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard. I’m a huge fan of the Force, it can be as deep or as simple as you need.
Most days I just use it to record clips from the Microfreak and try different scenes as you would do in Ableton live, the I start adding drum programs (most days I’m lazy and just build one mega program with drums and basses and synths and whatnots) then I start mixing and adding effects before recording into arrangement view. I hardly use the performance side of it, but it’s there and quite solid.

1 Like

In my living room i have a turntable and a mixer
I thought of buying an mpc live mk1 and sell my mixer
Mpc live has ground connection and a turntable input
But is it a good idea?
Or are there complications i didnt see
It must be easy for my wife to play an lp

I have not tried but I think a cleaning is worth a shot. I have been pretty gentle with it but it’s worth ruling out. Any tips for cleaning the sensors? Maybe qtips and rubbing alcohol?

I am too dumb to figure out how to quote multiple messages on the forum, but to answer the other questions, this behavior exists in all my projects, regardless of settings for pad sensitivity or whatever else.