MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Here’s a highlight of some of these features. I’m assuming what you want to do should be possible, at least in controller mode? Hoping this same “perform into a song” is also available when in standalone mode. Andy Mac is repeating the mantra “its the full MPC 2.0 inside” so much that it’s realistic to think so IMO.

2 Likes

Yep anyone who thinks the MPC is incapable must remember that Clark used to play live using 2 x MPC 1000s and mixer and some FX.

2 Likes

do you have a link to any video of a live performance? just out of curiosity

There are a few out there, here is a low quality one

And another with lots of annoying gfx :stuck_out_tongue:

Mpc Live is going to be revolutionary imo. The amount of power in this portable package is sure to spawn a new era in music making. It feels like akai are liberators breaking us free of the chains that tie us to computers! Think of the track count, the program options, the touch screen and ease of use! Most MPC users I know just need one drum program to produce sick beats! Thats how powerful the sequencer is on the MPC! Now with all this new innovation and visual feedback its going to be that much more powerful! Long live the MPC Live! :joy:

4 Likes

Are you sure it is going to solve everything? I have actually deferred getting this until it is 6 or 12 months in the wild. Seems to be able to solve everyones problems however MPC touch was not hugely popular. So I am being cautious.

2 Likes

Same here … Akai has first to demonstrate that it’s software does, what is in the spec. They have always delivered, but almost never at first release :frowning: The specs are great, though :wink:

2 Likes

MPC live is an improvement over the MPC Touch. The touch screen has better response and it’s stand alone! MPCs are so easy to use and now with the big screen and visual feedback it will be even easier and more intuitive. I feel Akai really took a risk to deliver everything their customers asked for and I would like to commend them for that. The amount of features at this price point is ridiculously good. People are hyped for a reason because we know it’s going to be special. Even Nick @sonicstate gave it a thumbs up from what he’s seen. Can’t wait for a thorough review.

2 Likes

But its not a first release, its version 2.0 of a software that’s been stable and getting updates for quite some time.

2 Likes

I have decided not to be an early adopter, as v2 is new, sure it follows on from previous versions but there are still things that can go wrong, need fixing etc considering the new hardware. MPC touch is a good indicator whilst being tethered to a computer still presents a significant amount of the MPC features. I am just cautious to treat this as the silver bullet.

1 Like

The rep told all of us “…built from the ground up …” this would be … IMHO … recoding :wink:

4 Likes

Makes sense to let it find it’s way in the wild before jumping on. I’ll wait a few months myself to get my money together but I definitely see myself getting this. I’m already dreaming up an all battery operated live set. Volcas, Teenage Engineering and Roland all providing great portable instruments to pair with this!

2 Likes

Its all looking positive and has huge potential. I still need to bury myself into the OT and possibly ableton so this can wait a bit.

3 Likes

By no means do I see this as an OT replacement. I see the OT actually becoming best friends with the MPC because now the OT will be liberated to do what it does best as a sound design tool and performance mixer. I love Ableton as well and have been a user since the 1st release yet still to this day have never taken a computer to a gig. I just see the MPC Live as proxy for Ableton live.

3 Likes

I have to mention that i got an invite to the NI Maschine beta, and that midi scenes is working properly and is a lot of fun.

There is an NDA, so i cant say any other things (this is confirmed by NI) (and this thread here is about MPC Live anyway.) But many of us wanted midi scenes from the octatrack, so i think its a cool development.

1 Like

Same old demo but at the 6:24 you can hear Instrument program.
It will come with a lot of ready to use instrument programs.

I agree, i just need to invest time in the OT. If I buy the MPC when it is released, I will have too much gear to learn.

Pure speculation alert!

Andy was very cagey about the intended purpose of the WiFi capability and a little apprehensive about agreeing that Ableton Link is (might be :wink: ) in the pipeline (4:00 - 4:35 in the video). Reading between the lines…

Akai and Ableton are still in bed together. I think the Abes will have some news about what they have in the pipeline very soon. Their next piece of hardware will once again be built by Akai and feature WiFi capability & Link, and will be designed to work in tandem with the MPC ‘Live’.

:aw:

3 Likes

Yeah, I can see that being the case, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one tho, it seems others are erring on the side of caution/ skepticism
No bigs, like I said tho my needs for this would be pretty basic at first and then I would use the extras if I decided I liked them.