MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Keep in mind mpc is not a new product, why showcase the things its already known to do well!? They are showing what’s new. The fact that no one here understands what are the capabilities of an mpc is more baffling to me than what is being shown at NAMM!
I have an mpc 1000, if all the live did was what the 1000 does but with the touch screen I would be sold, all the rest is super bonus imo!

6 Likes

Apparently there’s no arrangement view on the standalone? Like your typical daw view of tracks where you can cut/copy/paste etc with all tracks on a timeline. I’d originally took this for granted as touchscreen apps like Beatmaker2 have this feature and in some ways I see apps like that as precursor for mpc/toraiz in terms of proving what’s possible on touchscreen before the big guns jumped in to it on dedicated hardware… wondering why it isn’t there on standalone if it’s there on the computer side of V2?

Edit - apparently from user feedback on mpc forum there isn’t even an arrange view on the computer side? Confused about how songs are structured etc. Will go check some vids of the current software and try to get more soft a feel for the workflow…

Keep in mind that Akai from the MPC 1000 hardware days is not the same Akai as the one from the ‘Rhythm Wolf’ hardware days… They make some awesome quality midi controllers I’ll give them that, but I think it’s not hard to understand why people are at least cautious for this even when it’s about the most basic MPC stuff.

4 Likes

I think you see the arrangement view in the intro video of the Live & X at the 1:17 mark : https://youtu.be/Nq6rHeo-96A

I thought i saw it more often…but cannot remember which video it had.

Pretty sure that’s step sequencer or piano view in the video at the marker?

I thought so too but looks like more then one channel info at the same time.

Well…hopefully time will tell…and else maybe i will find the info again.

I switched off too soon :confused: Looks like an arrangement view straight after, at 1.19ish…

Hopefully this is viewable on standalone…

I think i see the same view on the Live at the same time what you see on the computer.

1 Like

Actually, I think the view I saw was for a sequence e? Not a song.

Thinking about it. I think I finally get the workflow. Guess if I want arrangement I’ll have to basically use a sequence as a song? Can you copy and paste sections of tracks audio/midi within a ‘sequence’? Like if I have a 3 minute long sequence, can I copy/paste within a drum midi track, like can I copy 4 bars of it and duplicate it along the timeline for whole sequence. Then go in to piano roll and add variation either live Rec or on screen. Then record a long synth audio track on another track, say 2 minutes long, and then cut a 10 seconds section of that and add to the end of itself, and duplicate 10 second section until the end of the sequence?

That’s a pretty muddled question/example, sorry! The above isn’t something I’d do exactly, but if the above is possible then I think I’m covered in the absence of a legit arrangement song view…

2 Likes

curious about the same thing

Probably Drum Track (guessing the amount of things… it’s like a full drum beat) … played live from the Pads with all velocity in the footer

You make an arrangement by chaining up shorter sequences into a song, which you then convert into a new sequence, which has all the events and the combined lenght of your previous chain of shorter sequences. You then use this “skeleton” arrangement as your backbone and make further edits to it to add fills transitions, edits etc (assuming you didn’t already include these in you chain of sequences).

Mute states can also be recorded, so you can build your “song” by recording mutes/unmutes as the sequencer plays, and then convert this “performance” to a new sequence as above.

Each sequence can also have its own BPM. When converting a chain with various BPMs to a new sequence, the BPM changes will be included in the result.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah I was aware that the workflow you mention existed, kind of like OT I guess. Just seems weird there’s no arrangement view been added in V2 seeing as they’re selling this as a daw and keep hyping it as that? Can’t think of any mainstream daws without an arrangement view…

Possibly not a dealbreaker. It’s only one element of what I’m interested in the mpc for and the method it has sounds basically in line with other hardware seqyencers. But does seem less flexible/slower a method of arrangement in terms of copying/pasting/experimenting in a visual ‘mix and match’ kind of way with everything on all tracks on a timeline like I often tend to do in daw.

Edit - can you cut/copy/paste within sequences?

Pretty sure you can, you have always had this ability even in the older MPCs, although with the older models, stopping playback was required to do this.

And yes, its almost the same as in the OT, except that in OT you cannot “bounce” a song down into a new sequence. If you could, OT sequencing would become very formidable indeed!

1 Like

If the Live and X are indeed compatible with Ableton Link, I’m thinking one could be the ideal piece to link my computer and hardware setup. Clock from Ableton via Link, then the USB on MPC can clock the Op-1, and din midi out to the OT which will then sequence My MD and A4.

Anyone else considered this?

1 Like

Also, I read about being able to use the pads to switch patterns. Anyone know if you can set it so you have a pattern assigned on each pad on all pad banks, or limited to only 16? And then ‘play’ the patterns in to a new sequence while tweaking/muting/soloing etc and live Rec all of this in to a full song (sequence)?

It’s always been a seq per pad, all pad banks supported. So that’s 16 * 8 sequences that you can trigger with the pads in “NEXT SEQ” mode.

As for performing a song with the next seq function and the mutes, and converting that into a new sequence, not 100% sure as I’ve never tried it, but there’s a strong possibility that it will work,

1 Like

Cool, thanks. Think you poss also just answered my other question re live recording patterns in to a new song-length pattern (resulting in a full song). Sounds pretty badass :slight_smile:

Nice. That’ll do me :slight_smile:

Yep, if it’s solid it seems useful for a bunch of sync stuff etc with the onboard USB hub and ableton link. Handy…