MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

It’s ace already, but I’d love some more LFOs per pad, with tonnes more destinations, crossfade looping (really important!!!) and some performance options ala scenes etc.

1 Like

Yeah same here. Guess if a lot of us are grabbing one and end up on their forums making noise then this stuff will reach akai and eventually get put in if poss. It’s good for us that this is basically their comeback, they’re gonna be hungry to compete as well as they can and chuck stuff in the live/x.

1 Like

It’s pretty much what I imagined it would be? Sounds like they’re gonna refine it but no problems here doing it this way. Take like 2 minutes for 8 tracks.

IMHO the software is not complete that is the reason the demos are all the same. It will be cool to show all windows and options but they do not show it to us. I give up searching videos from NAMM because it will be all the same. ‘Rihanna’ acapella, clip launching, time stretching … sky is the limit :smiley:

4 Likes

Don’t know if it has been posted, but, anyway, some info…

http://www.soundtools.fi/images/pro_audio/MPC/MPC%20Live%20-%20Product%20Overview%20Technical%20Specifications%20%20FAQ.pdf

1 Like

Sky’s the limit >__<

No but seriously I’m starting to consider an mpc live. Elektrons lack of sample time is doing my head in.

1 Like

MPC into OT will be the dream ticket.

Love how the Akai guy is highlighting that master filter drop all the time - that’s like OT 101 straight out of the box. OT is the purest performance mangling and audio buggeration available.

OT is great for starting ideas, MPC great for working them into tunes, OT great for finishing and performing them. MPC will bring it all together.

Can’t wait 8)

3 Likes

Ah ha! Glad to get the “we’re thinking about it seriously” vibe around 1st party plugins/scaled down instruments/FX.

Really good Q&A there though - informative. Normally when I get GAS it starts to wane after the initial announcements and the weeks/months that follow - doesnt feel like that’s happening with the new MPCs

Something to be aware of is with regards to the 6 outputs what goes out the main outs is mirrored in outputs 1 and 2 so there are only 4 output destinations. Also there are not two sets of inputs, there are two sets of input connectors and you have to select whether you want to use the phonos or jacks.

On old MPCs you can use main outs as individual mono outs or main L/R out. So you can have 6 mono outs, 3 stereo outs or mix it however you want. Dunno how will be with the 2.0.

6 configurable outputs are mentioned in the manual.

2 Likes

From the MPC Live Quickstart Guide (page 5):

“Outputs (1/4” / 6.35 mm): Use standard 1/4” (6.35 mm) TRS cables to connect these outputs to
your monitors, mixer, etc.). The Master L/R outputs are the same as Outputs 1,2.”

Yeah, but the labels on the rest of the outs are 3,4,5,6. So master is 1,2 and the four others are separate.

My apologies, I stand corrected. You can’t make out the labeling of the outputs from the Quickstart Guide so I wrongly assumed two were labelled 1 and 2.
Makes MPC Live even more tempting to me.

2 Likes

Yeah I know! :slight_smile: now they just need it to do what it says on the tin and it’ll be a smash hit.

Someone posted this on gearslutz. Details from the MPC Live Product Overview, Technical Specifications & FAQs document:

CREATE
• 128-track sequencing capability and up to eight pad banks
• 6 MPC Program Modes:
— MPC Drum Program - MPC’s powerful drum sampler
— Clip Program - clip launch workflow built in to MPC, trigger loops
— CV Program (MPC X Only) - drive your external analogue gear
— Keygroup program - MPC’s instrument sampler
— VST/AU plugin - control any VST or AU (Controller Mode Only)
— MIDI Program - sequence your external MIDI gear
• Capture, edit and mix up to 8 audio tracks in standalone mode, expandable up to 128 tracks in controller mode
• Real-time time-stretching & pitch-shifting – warp clips, samples and audio regions
• Audio / MIDI Drag and Drop functionality for seamless integration with industry standard DAWs

WHAT MODES CAN BE ACCESSED FROM THE 7” COLOUR SCREEN ON THE MPC LIVE?
The following modes can be accessed and edited directly from the MPC Live’s 7” colour screen:
• Main – This is the central hub of the MPC allowing users to configure the tracks and programs in a current sequence; additional functionality includes show/hide options for the channel strip on the touchscreen for ultra-fast mixing.
• Audio Tracks – functionality to record and edit up to 8 tracks of real-time stereo audio in standalone mode, and 128 tracks in controller mode
• Step Sequencer – controls and functionality for programming traditional step-sequenced events, all via MPC Live’s touch-interface
• Grid View – This mode allows users to edit MIDI performances by inserting, erasing and tweaking notes within a track
• Program Edit – This mode allows users to edit program parameters
• Track Mute – A mode that allows users to easily mute tracks within a sequence or set Track Mute Groups enacted via the MPC Live’s pads
• Track View – Provides a comprehensive overview of all the tracks in a current sequence
• Channel Mixer – A dedicated, full-featured mixing environment allowing users to set levels, pan, route and add effects to all the elements within a song
• XYFX – An XY grid interface that allows users to add effects to sounds quickly and dynamically in real-time
• Next Sequence – A mode that lets users trigger different sequences simply by playing the pads – perfect for live performances
• Sampler – Functionality to record audio samples with mixer integration so users can record via multiple dedicated input effect plugins
• Browser – A comprehensive file navigation system for browsing samples, sequences and songs stored on internal and external hard disks in standalone and controller modes
• Looper – A full-featured phrase looper
• Pad Perform – Lets users assign musical scales, chord or progressions to the pads
• Pad Mute – A mode that lets users easily mute pads within a program, or set Mute Groups for each pad
• Q-Link Edit – An environment that lets users configure the functionality of the Q-Link knobs to control program or FX parameters
• Pad Mixer - A dedicated mixer for the MPC Live’s pads allowing users to set levels, pan, signal route and add VST effect plugins
• Sample Edit – Trim, crop and process samples directly from the MPC-Live’s touchscreen
• Pad Colour – functionality to configure and customise the RGB pad’s colour layout
• Song – a comprehensive compositional tool allowing users to arrange sequences, craft playlists of tracks and mix down songs.

CLIP PROGRAMS
Refine your flow and spark your creativity with Clip Programs in MPC 2.0 Software. Armed with an advanced real-time time-stretching / pitch shifting algorithm, and supporting Toggle/One Shot launch modes, loop-specific RGB pad colour configurations, automatic BPM detection and automatic tempo lock, MPC 2.0 Software’s clip launch functionality grants a truly inspirational production platform and an unleashed performance experience.

WHAT IS A PROGRAM?
A program is a group of samples assigned to the pads. There are multiple Programs available in MPC Live including Clip, Drum, Keygroup, MIDI and Plugin (MPC 2.0 Software). You can create up to eight banks of pad samples per program in the MPC software and instantly switch between banks using the dedicated buttons on the MPC Live hardware.

WHAT IS AN MPC CLIP PROGRAM?
An MPC Clip Program is s group of loops designed to be triggered sequentially in any live or studio environment. MPC Live’s pads will indicate RGB colour groups for each style of clip (Red Drums / Green Bass / Purple Melodic / Blue Vocals). When 4 clips are launched together horizontally, MPC produces a full music track allowing “live remix manipulation”. Each clip can be launched to it’s own unique quantize, fully customizable from 8 Bars – 1/64th Bars, along with Pitch, Reversed, Toggled or One-Shot modes.

HOW CAN I LOAD A CLIP PROGRAM?
Simply select the content browser within MPC Live selecting the Clip Icon. This then allows you to browse all clip programs available. Double click the screen and your chosen Clip Program will instantly load. Now select Clip Mode from the main UI Home screen and select the loaded Clip Program. The MPC pads will instantly change to a Clip Launch colour layout in the following arrangement - Red-Drums, Green-Bass, Purple-Melodic, Blue-Vocals.

CAN I USE CLIP PROGRAMS AND DRUM PROGRAMS TOGETHER IN A SONG ARRANGEMENT?
Yes you can. MPC Live allows each track to have its own independent program type. Any of these program types can then be sequenced to it’s own independent track.

HOW CAN I IMPORT ABLETON CLIPS INTO MPC CLIPS?
First MPC must be instantiated as a plugin within Ableton Live. Simply drag an Ableton Clip from the Clip Arrangement Window onto an MPC Clip program choosing your desired Pad(s). Each Ableton Clip must have the correct tempo entered into MPC Warp. Simply enter the clip’s tempo within Sample Edit and
activate Warp in the Main MPC UI Home Page.

CAN I SYNC AUDIO TRACK(S) TO MY MPC MIDI SEQUENCE?
Yes you can. Once an Audio Track is imported, the original audio tempo must be entered from Sample-Edit. Once completed, select Warp in the main home page located under the Audio option. Now enable Warp. Your audio track will now be synced to the master tempo.

CAN I ADD MY OWN CHORD PROGRESSIONS IN PAD PERFORMANCE MODE?
MPC 2.0 Software allows you to create your own chord progressions, which can then be saved and added to your progressions menu within Pad Performance Mode. All progressions created can be added to your MPC Live for use in standalone mode.

BOUNCING 3RD PARTY INSTRUMENTS TO USE IN STANDALONE MODE.
MPC Live in standalone mode does not support 3rd party Virtual Instruments or FX. This is only available when MPC 2.0 Controller Mode is activated. All 3rd party tracks can be rendered inside 2.0 using Drag & Drop, creating an Audio Stem of the 3rd party instrument. This file can then be converted into an “Audio Track” inside MPC 2.0 Software and saved within an XPJ project. Load the saved project inside MPC Live’s Standalone Mode to hear 3rd party instruments playing back as MPC audio tracks. MPC Live’s Standalone mode currently supports 8 stereo audio tracks.

Manipulate Tempo or Pitch:
With MPC 2.0, total-command of user’s audio is possible courtesy of a new real-time time-stretching and pitch shifting algorithm. Change the duration of any audio region, drum/keygroup sample or clip to match the tempo of your project with MPC Software’s real-time time-stretching; or, use real-time high quality pitch shifting to change the pitch of any audio region, drum/keygroup sample or clip for creative manipulation or to change the key of the source material. MPC 2.0 makes it easy to manipulate the time and pitch of any source material: a chopped vocal in an audio track, a drum loop in a clip program or an orchestral phrase loaded into a chromatic sampler program.

5 Likes

I have read that quiete a lot of users had midi clock sync issues with the MPC touch software - not sure if it will be the saviour in standalone mode - at some point you would like to record your tracks into a DAW, or with better quality at your computer with 96khz.

inspired by the MPC Live and its all digital mind I’ve build up this thing! It’s an incredible 12 track looper with full midi integration, no time limit, endless overdubs and the most intelligent midi implementation I’ve ever seen and the most advanced tutorial in an App so far. Guys…every track can handle its own time, plus rewind etc. even my apple keyboard (Bluetooth) can be mapped to every task.

recently I’ve just mapped an ol momentary footswitch with its on position starting a new record and Hold! :slight_smile: for immediate erase.
someone is even able to map the Off position to a task. gives you 3 different CC with one passive pedal which is basicallly a switch for a few cents.

Loopy HD and it’s 3.99 !!!

the Istudio cost me 73 bucks.

don’t get fooled by the big comps, it’s all digital.
you’re the Head… full of Ideas and please

don’t pay so much for creativity.

5 Likes

Step sequencer on Mpc Touch

There is also no VST plugin delay compensation in the MPC software. Not sure if this is announced as fixed in 2.0 software.

1 Like