MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

That’s kind of my point, if you knew you wanted OT/rytm style drum sequencing I’m not sure what made you more than glimpse at the MPC to begin with :wink:

But I’ll add that I’m pretty sure that between the pads and the touchscreen piano roll view you could do some insanely complicated/evolving drums on mpc, and possibly faster than on a step sequencer. People seem to cope fine doing that style programming in ableton? Not to mention the resampling of switching between various patterns and turning that in to a new pattern etc and then slice and dice and so on. And you also have a ton more voices/polyphony…

It’s possibly not so fluid for ‘jamming’ but in terms of doing complicated stuff it seems kind of limitless once you put its different aspects together and use them to feed each other…

3 Likes

I’m planning to get both. (MPC Live & Digitakt)

5 Likes

That’s the spirit! :grin:

2 Likes

Does any one know how long the MPC Live and the OT can record for? Basically I want to know if it can record 1 hour of stereo audio. I am trying to avoid buying a computer to record my Dj mixes…

Vaguely remember talk of 20 minutes individual sample limit. Don’t quote me on that tho…

That’s exactly, how I use my MPC … as a sketch-pad. Samples, self created audio loops, midi tracks to control some synths, having everything in tune and the same timing, playing various combinations of loops and tracks to check, how they fit together or how the later arrangement could be … until I decide to boot up my computer and get all those creative-chaotic ideas in the box for the final revision :wink:

Up to now I miss only the audio-looping-recording-like workflow of the OT pickup-machine. Now it seems that the new MPCs just do this too.

Since Akai had in the past always software issues (old MPCs as well as the MPC-Software), I will wait, until decent reviewers and first users report about their hands-on experiences. If this machine is doing, what Akai claims, then it’s just what I would like to use on a day by day basis in the studio.

1 Like

@JD : I get your point too and discussed yet already here with @CallofthevoidFACT 1 : we all have different needs FACT 2 : we all perceive differently Our real needs FACT 3 : We probably don’t have the same goals. (per example i understand and respect the scratch pad/live tool need from COTV i do not really after this idea… but i share this point in time where i’m not really for now after the Digitakt, relative to my existing setup i may change my mind on it as may not.)

As i said (with some kind of real thinking about it) Digitakt is cool but waiting more informations on it. I may choose to add it in my setup regarding different advantage but it’s really depend of : more informations, what is have to offer in the practical realm, how it’s sounding etc.) I never judge hardware or software based on DEMO PROJECTS or REVIEW Musically because otherwise i buy NOTHING. :joy:

it doesn’t change my MPC Live ordering so ordered second times and this one will NOT be cancelled. WHY is THAT ? I’m after a Sampler Hardware like Kontakt can working. I already have an Octatrack witch i consider more like a Dr OctoRex from Propellerhead. Both, Sampler are not used in the same way. And DT cannot afford me what i looking for on the Sampler Program with keygroup, polyphony playability and Layers.

Powerful aspect of the MPC Live or X is a real bonus on Storage, Focus on Music Production, Price for specifications, Sampling with inputs + ground, Q-Knobs, etc…

I also comes from the old era of sampling (S2000 - MPC5000 - Z8 - E4xt ultra + RFX32) and know AKAI & EMU, i never has been productive as the period i use this devices and Groovebox department (RS7000, MC909, MS2000R…)

I do not minimize Elektron actually Who put me back on the Hardware again and i’m reborn to take pleasure in music production today out of the computer (because of them in a way). I’m graphic designer and my heart, brain, eyes are sick of it (the computer). Plus i’m really disappointed by apple these days (i will not debate on that, because i’m done on this)

I can’t totally get out of the computer arrange/mixing point of view because i learn it so many years, i know my tools and i can’t get rid of it completely. BUT for music ideas, layout + my Live Performance project = i’m totally back on hardware. I do not know for now which place i will keep or not for a laptop in my setup.

One thing i’m sure is PIONEER TORAIZ is not ready as i would like + too expensive.
Akai MPC is back the way i like this BRAND : so i will give them the last chance to convince i’m not wrong to spend my money on their device again. I may have wrong ? … but i feel not.

Anyway, my Setup is 70% Elektron based so… A bit of difference should bring goodness and fresh idea.

3 Likes

for those thinking you can only make simple beats on MPC’s, take a look at ATOM TM in action :wink:
as far as I remember from an interview I read, he’s only using the MPC live - the MacBooks are 1 for visuals / 1 as backup
I know it’s not extremely complicated - but his live set is great, and only uses an MPC… I strongly recommend both his album HD, and seeing him live, he puts up some really great music IMO
besides, this guy is also behind other eclectic projects, like Señor Coconut :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a totally wrong assumption. With a linear sequencer with almost unlimited sequence lenghts and 64 tracks, you’d have no problem pulling off complex music assuming you put time and effort into it.

I am involved in a synthpop-esque band project where an MPC 1000 has taken over sequencing duties from an old (unreliable) MMT8 unit. And believe me, we are not even close to utilizing the MPC sequencer to it’s fullest potential.

It’s so funny that many people seem to forever see MPCs as devices capable of only simplistic hiphop and nothing more. It’s a sequencer, very much comparable to what one could do with an Atari ST back in the day. Y reckon all Atari ST users wrote simplistc, four bar music?

12 Likes

Touch screen for MPCs will be great. On old MPCs you have to use cursors buttons to select parameter and edit it. With touch screen you can tap it directly(instead of tapping multiple arrow buttons) and edit with data knob.

Saying MPC sequencer is limited compared to Elektron’s is pure ignorance.

Simple tracks?
Back in the days Chemical Brothers and Crystal Method used mpc 3k for their tracks.
Crystal Method - Vegas
Chemical first 2 albums for sure(not just for live)
I wouldn’t say they are simple tracks.

MPC 3k was sequencing the whole live show. Synths, drums, samplers, clock, lights and so on. But yeah, lets look at the boom bap genre.

4 Likes

Nope, I do not think Atari ST users all wrote simplistic music. And I also have no problem with linear sequencers, I use Ableton Live’s “arrangement view” a lot which (in the time-sense) is also linear.
But surely you’re not saying MPC software is equally equipped just like a full-on DAW like Ableton Live, Bitwig, etc? Are you? I can show you hundreds of YouTube videos containing really complex DAW projects. Can you show the same on MPC software usage?

My assumptions are not “totally wrong” at all, although I’m also sure that both MPC software and hardware are indeed very capable to compose and arrange complex music with. Yet it’s exactly the factor “time and effort” that ultimately leads to creativity-loss and unfinished projects. That’s my opinion anyway, may I?
No need for you to label me as “totally wrong” or imply that I’d label Atari users as “simplistic”.

1 Like

Who told you that it’s full on DAW like Ableton Live?

999 bars per pattern(sequence) ,
64 tracks.

Midi tracks(can seqence every midi parameter you throw at it)
Audio tracks
Bild in drum/instrument sampler(64-128 polyphony)
Effects

That it’s all. In a box.

If MPC sequencer is limiting you then use DAW.

1 Like

No new inside views of stuff that wasn’t already shown, but Andy shows some menus.

So the chord mode is pretty nifty.
There is a cpu meter & it seem to be really fast to switch between the modes. Winning :sunglasses:

Release dates should be around Live (March) & X (April) (tba)

2 Likes

You know what? We can continue to disagree on this matter indefinitely. I am just saying that you can make simplistic hiphop with a volca sample etc, this box is capable of a whole lot more.

As for what can be considered “a full-on DAW” depends for each person. Some people use the deepest functions of a DAW, pegging their CPU to near glitching point, use hundreds of tracks with hundreds of automation lanes etc and then there’s DAW users who multitrack 8 mics, slap some eq and compression to the tracks and call it a day. So in the former sense I wouldn’t call it a full-on DAW, but as for the classic definiton of a DAW (records, edits, mixes and exports MIDI and audio) well then yes, all of this is onboard.

This thread is getting sourer by the minute by the way. I wonder why… Maybe I need to come back here when I have my live in hand. Getting tiresomely GS-y, this is…

3 Likes

Don’t forget DJ shadow! I definitely don’t consider him simplistic hip hop! He wrote some really cool stuff on MPC 60!

3 Likes

Plus the 8 audio track to record whatever you can imagine. This is move forward for me.

2 Likes

You just don’t see the full potential here.

Ian Pooley also rockin’ the mpc (3000). House-God!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Whoever said you can’t make complex beats on a MPC needs their head examined. :joy:

8 Likes