MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Thanks for the lesson man! I’ll pre-order it right away knowing it will perform exactly as the manual is saying… oh wait

1 Like

not with the 7bit samp start/end resolution it wouldn’t :diddly:

Yeah agreed sometimes a more focused instrument is a good thing, I’m usually in the ‘more is more’ school of thought tho :wink: I get frustrated if my imagination goes places an instrument can’t…

I was more suggesting there’s not much there in terms of connectivity/storage etc for the price on the digitakt? considering how little it actually seems to do in functions. Makes the price seem kind of high to me?
Like on balance digitakt seems more like electribe sampler area. Not £550… Considering electribe sampler has bunch of functions this doesn’t (onboard synth, polyphonic tracks, tons of fx, memory card etc) and vice versa on the digitakt (Elektron sequencer, prob better reverb/delay, better workflow/browsing etc), they seem reasonably well matched in different ways. Big price difference tho…

Edit - fwiw I’d rather the digitakt than an electribe sampler cos the korg OS seems kind of slow/annoying. But they seem like similar price range products, on paper at least. Guess wait and see what’s there when digitakt is released…

Have you looked into the OT Parts to change samples per pattern?

Non of the machines you mention (RYTM and Tempest) can sample so you are comparing apples with pears.

Well there is a lot of basic questions being asked that people can just look up themselves, and no one is making you pre order anything, sorry if I pointed out that you should do a bit of research before dropping a grand on something!
Or do you rely on asking others for all your decisions in life?

Would love a link to the 2.0 manual, have a link?

Instead of waving with the online manual some are born with holding in their google hand to help making decisions in life for themselves and others I would rather see/hear some real life experience with the functionality I am asking for.

Perhaps some nice people here have seen some more indepth videos about this ‘computer’ and how the ‘basic MPC things’ will work in the standalone environment which I haven’t seen before…I tried, but couldn’t find that info in the manual…that’s all

1 Like

Hmm… being that both the hardware and software are going through what Akai describes a complete overhaul, and that these are pretty complex systems, and that we’re in a topic about these very products, it’s not unreasonable to ask questions about said products, I think…

2 Likes

the es2 cuts off samples when changing patterns and has a poor output stage. I doubt either of these issues are present on the digitakt. I am selling my es2 but YMMV as usual.

Yeah, like I said :wink: Korg OS looks annoying etc and Elektron superior there. But in terms of what is on offer in both boxes it’s comparable overall (unless digitakt ‘does’ have a synth engine…).

Yeah well to be fair the es2 synth engine is rather limited, at least compared to the electribe model (no filter types, far less synth voice types). But the price of the digitakt is almost double so… And not sure if digitakt has battery operation?

1 Like

Just watched 3 more videos of exactly the same demo by that rep. Cancelling my pre-order and plotting to have Rihanna’s voice wiped from the earth…

3 Likes

I assumed the Thursday was fro traders only and open to the general public from Friday.
If that’s the case, something more might start showing up.

Also, until mentioned I didn’t know that was Rihanna.

Cool, hopefully some looser vids showing up soon :slight_smile:
Someone else mentioned it was Rihanna, i have no idea really…

1 Like

There’s no shame in liking pop music and knowing how Rihanna sounds like…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I check UT to verify and all I found was obama rapping hotline bling. Such is the life of a lamestreamer like me :nyan:

1 Like

William, did you read my post 514 on the Digitakt introduction thread? If not, check it out, because it might change your MPC Live order once more :-).

Like you, I was excited about the MPC Live for a couple of days. But after seeing (1) a couple of Digitakt videos and thinking about it (especially after the Jonas Hillman interview!) and (2) the MPC X / Live demos on NAMM 2017, I’m not interested in the MPC anymore:

• the touch screen on it seems very nice but thinking about a Microsoft Surface Studio, and the way those (future) type of screens are coming out, what use is MPC X/Live’s screen if you can have all kinds of fully-fledged touch devices running the full version of a DAW?
  • have you also noticed what exactly AKAI is demonstrating over and over? Some nice vocal timestretching / chopping / pitch shifting, note nudging, the Q-link buttons, some fun beat-repeat / filter effects. All good and well. But in standalone-mode the MPC Live can run 8 “tracks” and can’t access VSTs. Its sequencer is, compared to Elektron’s P-locking, quite limited. AKAI is demo’ing what they want to demo, it’s a nice sales pitch.
  • MPC2.0 probably still isn’t even close to the capabilities of a full-fledged DAW like Ableton Live / Bitwig, etc. In the end it’s merely a plugin to the DAW.
  • the MPC videos completely lack proper DAW-style arranging. It does have “clips” (alike Ableton Live) but effect automation over (e.g.) 8 bars length like a DAW can, I wouldn’t try to do on MPC2.0.

I think Elektron is stepping into a completely new territory / strategy with “modular” boxes. Multiple new products will come out in 2017, as Jonas Hillman has stated. Exciting times, I want to wait and see what comes up! :slight_smile:

EDIT: of course my Microsoft Surface Studio argument falls short if you want a live performance computer-less setup.

2 Likes

Seems people are maybe kind of blinded by the Elektron light a little sometimes. Or just not seeing what the mpc is about and it’s potential, or they’re just shopping on the wrong shelf… I love my OT and AK and the new box looks OK. But the sheer amount of functionality/integration/connectivity/storage on the mpc is next level for a scratch pad/live tool. And even just as a sampler drum machine. You can say ‘just get a tablet and a daw instead’, but that’s kind of like saying just get a tablet and use something like Geist or ableton and push 2 instead of Digitakt… Kills the convenience/ui/connectivity.

If Elektron ‘are’ doing ‘modules’ like you say, it’ll prob take about 4 of them to cover the mpc ground.

When/if they do those modules, each box will likely outshine the mpc in its area, but it’ll cost a fortune, mean a ton of cables, a ton of projects/patterns housekeeping etc… Fine for studio, but for portable the Live looks like its out there by itself. Not to mention having zero need for something overbridge just to get some separate outs…

Seems like anyone that’s been put off the MPC by news on the digitakt were just gassing to begin with, didn’t actually need what it offers and had a lucky escape :wink:

FWIW I hope the digitakt turns out to be more interesting than it seems to me atm. Could potentially be a cool box, like a super beefed up, next gen Sp404 + Elektron sequencer if workflow is fast and they put some nice insert fx in there.

6 Likes

I do get what the MPC Live is about. But Akai’s MPC is coming from the hiphop scene. If you analyze a finished hiphop track, the beats are pretty straightforward and repeating, the song variety comes from the vocals. And therefore hiphop can get by with a “pattern chaining”-style DAW (MPC2.0). But now it seems Akai wants to enter the EDM-scene with the MPC Live (they’re demo’ing deep house, future bass, etc.). Think of a hit song by for example (my fellow countrymen) Martin Garrix, Tiesto, Afrojack etc. The tracks are vastly more complex as compared to the hiphop example with all kinds of subtle bar-by-bar nuances. That seems impossible to compose on the MPC2.0 software.

On a live stage however, the MPC Live seems very capable. But so does the Toraiz and so can an OT.