MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Don’t know about the MPC software but that was never what the MPCs were for. On the older ones you stop the sequencer, enter sample mode then sample save and assign in a program.
Having said that there is a looper in the MPC software and a lazy chop feature so what you are talking about just might be possible.
What you are talking about is exactly what the octatrack is for and why I will get the new mpc and keep my octatrack as well!

2 Likes

No t’rigs’ but i gues you can record in real time to audio track! Usually you sample MPC way, then trim, chop(slice) the sample and assign it to program(drum/instrument). No trigs and so on(don’t know how looper mode will work).

Check out you tube videos for touch. The new version 2.0 will add new features but the workflow will be similar.

Once again, if you expect this to be Elektron box on steroids you will be disappointed! MPC have it’s own workflow.

1 Like

I want to know if you have any filter envelopes for the drumtracks?

you have filter, env and lfo per pad and up to 4 samples per pad. 128 max pads per drum track.

1 Like

Okay, but if there’s only one env per pad, wouldn’t that be an amp-env? -or can you choose wether it be amp or filter-env?

I don’t know how many the new ones have. The old ones have 2 env and you control Amp, pitch and filters(2x).

Nice, thanks for the info.

Yeah, expectation management concerning the “OT on steroids” angle is good :slight_smile:

And I know it’s something that’s pretty unique to the OT. But it just makes so much sense and is such an easy one to implement that one would hope it gets adopted by others, too.

I’ve realized that the workflow of the OT keeps me from doing a great many things on it. I often end up, for instance, using the samples from the previous song I had going on the new one as well, because sample management and sampling seems like a bit of a chore :smiley: I understand that I’m always going to have to browse for samples within any machine, but things like tagging really seem like a welcome addition.

The OT interface is a bit long in the tooth – it’s pretty evident when you look at what the Digitakt looks like. (Not saying that the sample management couldn’t still be subject to being f**ked up :D)

1 Like

The one thing that always bothered me about the OT is when you change a pattern you are still tied to the same samples on each track! I understand you can switch to the 4 scenes but that is still kind of backwards IMO. I much rather have a kit tied to a pattern just like every other elektron machine. Im looking forward to having that on the MPC as well.

2 Likes

deffo it’s going to be mega, jus not sure similar to live. I’m not a huge fan in touch screens for production either, can be nice, but disconnecting if it’s at all lagging, even on newer I pads… I like that you can add peripherals via the ports on the live tho.

Fantastic the price point of digi is in the affordable bracket too, will make it super hard to resist either way. :smiley:

1 Like

Look at what you’re getting tho. It has to be that price or they would sell zero. Unless conditional midi trigs are super important to someone. No separate outs, only 64mb ram, no storage expansion(didn’t see any talk of mem cards?), no USB hub for controllers, no performance/scenes, only 8 mono tracks/voices of sampling with one lfo each, tiny ass screen, no talk of insert fx… It’s not exactly a bargain looking around… Maybe if it was released at same time in tech history as OT it’d feel like a good deal but I think it’s fair to expect more for your money now?

Edit - OT still feels like a lot for your money even at a grand, cos of the depth/flexibility. This new one, not so much… Maybe more features will be revealed later tho.

I’m sure new features will be introduced later on. I feel like the product is not quite ready yet, they just wanted to show it at NAMM so we know it’s coming soon.

I wouldn’t be surprised if lots of features from the machinedrum make it to the new box evetually.

Yeah hopefully it’ll evolve before release. They maybe should have held it back so there was some wow factor. Dunno why they felt they had to show it in such bare bones shape re info. Like releasing a shitty demo of a song that you know will be an LP track/single, just cos you want some attention/likes on Facebook. I stopped doing that a long time ago, it’s an amateur move, hold back til you can throw out the finished recording…

Any word on the MPC midi/sampling/resampling capabilities yet? Or do we have to beta test that ourselfs in March… :wink:

All the Namm videos I’ve seen still only talk about the stuff we already knew before Namm… Great touchscreen and standalone though!

Yeah bored of the mpc demos now :wink: need to see it in someone else’s hands doing different stuff…

1 Like

I like less options these days, octas too much thinking for me. I definitely don’t think there any comparison in this and live either. Apart from we now have midi sequencing coming out if our ears. :slight_smile:

The price means it’s an easy addition for most to add an extra flavour and if it’s a synth there’s not an awful lot of choice (in that digi drumi area)… analog has been overdone these last years I feel it’s almost a step backwards… A Summed stereo mix of drums has a totally diff vibe to separate processed stems too, which can be real nice and also push you out of the usual habits (like using drum loops for sound design instead of drums) but you can no doubt stream it all in OB if you use a computer, which is probably the best rout for a digi synth anyway (if it’s a synth)

1 Like

Yes I’ve edited a lot of samples on both the iPad and my Toraiz sp16 and its basically the best way to deal with getting sample editing done quickly and precisely, doing user defined multi chops and so on. Touching the waveform with your fingers is extremely intuitive. If my RYTM had a touchscreen I think it would definitely improve its functionality.

You can assign env amount & velocity amount to both amp and filter on the mpc software.

2 Likes

MPC software has been around for a while! RTFM

I know, how many times did Andy time stretch that Rhianna vocal lol.

Also not seen any demos with people getting to play around with the mpc’s on their own.

2 Likes