MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Rytm Kicks MPCs Ass with some tweaks here and there to the OS!

if you pull the Rytm apart and do the math you’ll understand.
this thing is massive compared to every digital touchscreen microcomputer!

but yeah… mpc triggered GAS, that’s for sure. :wink:

Not knocking rytm at all. Always been pretty interested in grabbing one. But mpc looks like it can do or approximate way more of what I’d want to do on a rytm than vice versa :wink: I’m not really fussed about legit analog drums tho, so obvs if that’s important it’s not really worth comparing them. Rytm the obvs choice…

Mpc live bloefeld and analog 4 maybe?

Those boxes have embedded Win10. I wonder if they are auto updating itself.

i do understand but with every new gear that’s crossing that line I’ll do the math and iam full of pleasure to think that even 1 track on rytm and it’s analog soundpath + sample Layer + retrig saved me from buying much crap in the meantime. even if the rytm would be an all digital machine! but again it isn’t and that’s a major role! 8x multimodefilter 8x lfos 8x…llator. …etc.

@Callofthevoid

Source?

No official source, but they were presenting Win10 presentation last year or something.

They’re running Linux.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure modulation options and analog filter/distortion etc on the rytm kill the MPC. If I was looking for a super deep studio drum machine I’d prob grab the rytm (especially if it could resample and sample without transfer)…

But I’m looking for more of an all in one portable scratch pad and for my style of music (weird pop/psych/field recordings etc) the drum sequencing/fx on the mpc looks like it’s got enough under the hood for sofa jams/song construction and I could just pair up with OT or daw when I’m in studio if things are feeling vanilla :wink:

2 Likes

How do you know?

this Andy mac akai clip launching guy mentioned it on sonic state review

you got the op1 as well, right? :wink:

Yeah, should team up nice with the Live :slight_smile:

Edit - do you mean I should just use Op1 as same kind of scratchpad I’d use mpc live for?

I’ve been using Op1 like that but it’s fiddly/limited in ways that aren’t all ‘creative’. The mpc rounds things out for what I’m looking for. Op1’s a keeper (depending what the new Elektron box is :wink: but some types of complex patterns/arrangements are total ballache on it and often require bouncing tracks/commiting when I don’t want to (if I wanna use non-Op1 fx later on a sound etc)… Op1 is great but half-baked in a lot of ways.

Also I see the mpc as a long term thing. After a year this thing would be jammed with all the sounds I’d ever need… Drumkits, polyphonic multisampled instruments, timestreched sample instruments, sliced loops etc etc… Be pretty convenient to have that kind of arsenal in one box for scratchpad and non-computer shows…

I know I know buddy.

endless seq and as a sampler for op1!

…put your effort and money in a 10’’ laptop with qunexus and mpc 2,0 software plus an external sound card with midi and such.
for that amount of money you can easily got some custom made case for that setup.

I think somebody’s getting mpc software on a raspberry pi 3.

-note-personal challenge 2017=build an mpc live as cheap as possible without touchscreen.

Bluetooth and wifi on board. :smile:

1 Like

If I had the time to research/learn/build the mpc live myself I’d be spending it using my studio setup :wink:

Re the ‘get a laptop’ advice… Not in to it. Got an audio laptop already. Kids won’t leave it alone. Lives in its bag these days. And id still need to buy mpc touch for comparable physical UI cohesion… Which means cables etc. The main appeal for the mpc for me is ‘One box. Everything covered(to some degree). No cables’. Basically a less annoying, more powerful, better ui/connectivity type ipad daw/Beatmaker 2 scratchpad kind of thing that I can also plug straight in to my main daw pc and instantly continue/tidy up/switch out fx etc. If I didn’t need the portable, total convenience of it id be less hyped…but it’d still have a lot of appeal. Seems useful in a bunch of roles/situations.

1 Like

In reddit forum one of the akai devs wrote that it’s not windows. So far all suggest that it’s linux but no official info. Just confirmed that it’s not windows.

2 Likes

OP-1 is a Legend. MPC and OP-1 is literally all you need if you arnt a analog purist. the best setup for Trip Hop …

OP-1 ( for the radio to sample from, and the digital synth engine that is pretty deep)
MPC Live ( to arrange your tracks and sample)
OT ( to create trip hop sets and stems as a master tape machine)
and technics record player ( to sample vynl)

… You cant be stopped with that set up.

4 Likes

Why would i want to lugg around a cheap laptop with a soundcard when i can get an MPC Live and not have fiddle around with a laptop every time? Thats the whole point I don’t want a laptop.

2 Likes

Plus you can get a cheap korg monotron for like $150 if you need crunchy analog synth and drum sounds. All battery operated!

2 Likes

lmao Excellent!