MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Something more easy or less daunting on one to another doesn’t meant impossible to achieve. So that’s why i’m Devil’s advocate on that one. Also i probably doing a more repetitive music than you maybe i don’t know… but appart from instrument SOLO and Strings or something there’s not really PART in music more longer than 64 steps… also Tempo can tricked to get more. And SOLO can be perfectly recorded in OT Rec dynamic mode in minutes if required so as i said … it’s just way of working, simplified or not, more logical or not AT FIRST… but everything can be achieved on one or another…

I hope so. I will sell my Toraiz for a MPC Live in a heartbeat if they dont make it more versatile. I use my OT like a Master Tape Machine so the MPC OT combo is pretty powerful.

I agreed because you can switch the best of both world and use the one is the most easy/fast/efficient according to the task.

2 Likes

What’s worse, you are always locked in to 64 discreet timing slots, regardless of microtiming. You can overcome this to a degree with retrigs, but even that cannot cover all scenarious ideally IMO.

You can sample a solo on a longer part than 64 steps. it’s a sampler with dynamic mode you can alocate more longer buffer…

Yes, but then you have already committed to audio. The point is not that accomplishing task “X” is totally impossible given a skilled operator (the skills of the user can overcome almost any challenge/limitation given enough effort - This is what some artists manage to demonstrate admirably wrt to certain gear), but that achieving certain tasks on one is a bit of a PITA and very fast and efficient on the other.

1 Like

You can divided in pattern… or build with song mode :slight_smile: the guy who not defeat hahaha
Anyway it’s sold like a sampler not as a music production center so…
They can’t really be compared.

It actually IS impossible to achieve certain things on OT midi step sequencer tho…

You can’t hold a chord, then continue to hold one note of a chord and change the other notes. The held note will stop because it isn’t replayed/triggered on the same step as the other new notes… Implications of that are often pretty hard-hitting for complex polyphonic passages.

2 Likes

I was responding to a remark tsutek made.

However, with regard to sequencing, all sequencers will quantise even though the resolution can be 480 ticks per quarter note or better (when quantisation is turned off). Some sequencers can only quantise to a low resolution and or have a limited number of steps per pattern.

But to me quantisation is not what defines the difference between real time recording and step recording (don’t forget you can real time record but set your sequencer to quantise the incoming notes to a 16th).
In step recording you select the step first and then set what you want to occur at that step whereas in real time recording you start the sequencer and then input the data you wish to record.

1 Like

Don’t forget that the MPC step sequencer has a greater resolution than the OT with 96 steps per bar and a maximum pattern (sequence) length of 999 bars. So it depends what you want from a step sequencer.

Honestly,

I’m worried that AKAI somehow screws this up. Pioneer is stable and so is Elektron. Akai is like your Uncle who used to be good at basketball years ago, but still think they got it with bad knees and smokes. I will keep my fingers crossed.

9 Likes

Yeah I know what you mean :confused:

It’s V2 of the software tho and seems to have been in development/testing/refining a long time, hopefully that turns out to have been enough to squash all major bugs…

And hopefully the standalone cpu and ram is enough that it doesn’t buckle when you hit it hard…

Akai will come good this time…

3 Likes

Yes, but no step mutes, no seq scaling, no plocks, no trig shift, no LFO / plock controllable arps, no conditional trigs… I don’t really see superlong step sequencer grids as beneficial, linear works better for that IMO.

However, to me the 4x4 grid makes more sense than a 1 x 16 grid for step sequencing… way easier to divide things by four. Obviously this is not beneficial for all time signatures but anyhoo… Given the choice, I will much rather step seq with an elektron device.

1 Like

Lots of hopefully’s there

1 Like

Can you write in your notes and effect on the MPC OS 2.0?

What do you mean? There is some sort of step sequencer aboard in 2.0, but full details are unknown. You can pencil in notes into the piano roll like on a DAW.

1 Like

Yeah. I just hope it all runs smooth.They should be able to get this right considering the technology isnt new. we will see more at NAMM.

And there are others… :wink:

1 Like

The MPC software does step modulation (plocks), records mutes and solos, tracks can have different lengths and pad LFOs can also be step modulated. Though no idea how much of this will be available from the new hardware in standalone mode.

Strangely enough I actually prefer a 1x16 grid for step sequencing.