MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I think people are just thrilled with a modern day mpc1000. Still lots of people - including myself - love its form factor and abilities. It’s got a full real honest to god midi sequencing abilities, unlike the Ot. Most elektron stuff is designed for people not playing their music, instead it is designed in mind for people entering notes /triggers into a sequencer.

These are two paradigms that will always differentiate these two boxes.

1 Like

I have to disagree with that. it’s like to tell everybody use Auto SYNC under tracktor which is false. Actually it’s not because you have the possibility to quantize your record, you push the button quantize. You can also, say hey i will re-play it and record over this one. until you get that one.

So : DISAGREE (MPC and OT have both Live Recording…)

By the matter of FACT i think Octatrack cover a Sampler whith SLICE in mind like the Dr. Octo Rex under Reason
And the MPC is a sampler with program approach like Kontakt with keygroup etc…

Then Sequencer on MPC is more visual like a daw. And Sequencer on ELEKTRON is like a DrumMachine type of TR Sequencer with more possibilities.

To have both approach if you’re a SAMPLING guy is essential.

OT midi sequencer definitely sucks for ‘playing’!

Can’t keep note/s held while change other notes etc. Basic stuff for playing anything complex.
Not to mention the sample tracks are monophonic, they don’t record note-off info and you have the 64 step limit…
Ak sequencer can be ballache too.

Mpc looks infinitely better workflow/features sequencer for playing/sequencing complex parts.

Elektron sequencers are excellent at what they do, I enjoy using them, super fast and deep enough to get you far. But definitely weren’t designed with ‘playing’ in mind…

You’re talking about limitations but the OT can record midi keyboards and control other device… it’s recording incoming MIDI Chords… in Live Rec Mode… You can also mapped a drum pad controller to it to get midi velocity…

it’s not necessarily something you can only program. I disagree. But hey i don’t try to change people mind. i just say what i think. i actually play my lines in real times on every elektron device… with or without a Midi Keyboard or Pads so… you can actually Play and Record and not only program.

MPC and OT have both Live Record mode and Step sequencer.

MPC is not the OT. OT is like a Tape Machine on a Acid trip. The MPC is a Sampler built like a old schook drum Machine. AKA Linnstrument.

1 Like

There is a step seq with pads in Mpc Live / X ?
(There is one in Jjos2xl / 3 but PITA)

Both OT, MPC Live and Toraiz are nice. That’s just after the price factor, options who diverged… I trust OT for create something completely crazy very fast. I trust pioneer for Sound quality and Effects quality, I trust Akai MPC Live for old sequencer on time line and sampler program the old way (keygroup and multiple layers spare on the octave range)

After that you can make everything on everyone. that’s just the amount of reflexion/preparation will be different.

I mean you can play and record Live. Or you can Play and Record in a more step approach on both.

Now, if they had an iPad app that you could connect to machine with via Bluetooth and use THAT as the touchscreen, THAT would resolve most ergonomic issues, I think

The Toraiz is EXTREMELY limited compared to OT and what the MPC Live appears to offer. You cant plug your Toraiz in to your comuter and finish tracks as far as i know like you can with the MPC. And the OT allows you to finish tracks on the device. Toraiz has some major price dropping and catching up to do.

1 Like

Yeah you can play notes and sequence them with live Rec on elektrons, I do it all the time too :wink: But it’s a world away from a midi keyboard and a daw.

A step sequencer is inherently different from linear daw style and you’re hemmed in by the limitations which make certain things impossible.

Elektron sequencer was definitely designed with ‘steps’ in mind, like the original post suggested. Mpc looks like it’s designed in a much more open way for complex playing/recording/editing(of notes)…

I dig the Elektron sequencers but there’s a lot of parts/passages that I wouldn’t even begin to try to sequence on them :wink:

I think realtime recording with elektrons is a bit like step sequencing with the MPC. Both can do the job, but one is way better at it than the other.

This is Pio we are talking about. Aint no way they’re dropping the price of Toraiz, lest they devalue their brand and make everything else look overpriced.

How can real time recording on one device be like step recording on another device?

I meant, OT takes the cake for step sequencing compared to the MPC, but the MPC is the superior device when you want to realtime record sequence data.

The OT has swing trigs, but the MPC has timing shift. More Apples and Oranges.

They have to. the Toraiz doesn’t have a DAW and MPC does with 2.0. They gonna have to drop it to stay competitive. Four analog filters is the only thing the Toraiz is standing on now.

1 Like

The OT is only a good sequencer if your playing mostly fits into the one note per step idea. Playing chords w/ different notes/intensities, durations, playing two notes per “step” are all things that are useful but not within reach of the OT. So yeah, it has “Live Recording” which is nice, but all elektrons have that. In the old ones, they would get quantized, nowadays, with uTiming it’s much better. Still, not a proper sequencer. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

1 Like

I thought they had all kinds of plans on how to flesh the product more on their roadmap? MIDI sequencing etc. I am sure they will continue improving on it.

When you live record into the OT, it gets assigned to a step w/ a set micro timing because you never land exactly on the perfect step time. On older elektrons it would get quantized to each step’s timing. This was notoriously annoying for me w/ machinedrum. Once I wanted to create rythm like a clave and the only way to achieve this was by playing with the swing settings and enabling only at certain per steps.