MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Wasnt trying to be a dick :wink: just saying that my daughter has a Ā£50 tablet and the screen is fine on it. Overall itā€™s a piece of junk and soon as you tax the cpu/ram it gets laggggggy as hell. The actual screen response is fine tho. Just underpowered elsewhereā€¦

Yeah, thinking about it a little more, thereā€™ll probably be a few places you need to use the screen on X without physical alternative option. Guess step sequencing/tweaking is an obvious one. And x/y pad stuffā€¦

I couldnā€™t really justify the x here. Push2 and ableton + plugins cover more of what I need in studio. But if someone wanted the mpc workflow as their central piece maybe they can use a wireless mouse with it? Dunnoā€¦

The X is a weird sell for me. I wouldnā€™t really want to lug that beast to shows and can think of other stuff that personally serves me better in studio. Maybe Iā€™d be tempted if I had modular and wanted the CV outs thoā€¦

Iā€™m all over the Live tho :wink:

probably me thats being the dick mateā€¦ im shit at the internet. x

1 Like

Hahaha, thatā€™s something to be proud of tbh :wink:

1 Like

One thing Iā€™m not fully clear on/canā€™t find video for. On the touch/mpc workflow, is there a song arranger page, like any Daw etc, where every track is displayed and all the tracksā€™ wavs or midi patterns are on screen on a timeline to drag around and structure/copy/paste etc in to a song? Like a normal daw?

Maybe Iā€™ve seen it in the recent videos but somehow I missed taking it onboard. But think I saw a screen on a Touch video where it looked like you arranged songs in rows of sequences (kinda like OT. Not visually in ā€˜blocksā€™ like a daw)? Not linear? Which is where my confusion has come fromā€¦

Iā€™ve never used an MPC, but had a Tempest for about two years. Bloody awesome workflow.

Is the MPC workflow similar, in terms of composing and recording songs?

1 Like

No ā€œarrangement viewā€ AFAIK. Thereā€™s the song mode, where you define which sequences (patterns in elektron lingo) you want to play in which order, and how many repetitions per sequence you want. But if you then convert this song into a new sequence, the end result will resemble something like an arrangement view, although you can only see one track at a time.

I have read that NI Maschine MK 2 will get the snapshot feature of the new Maschine Jam, a snapshot is a set of values (knobs) that can be triggerd to transform over a set amout of time. There is a video showing the lock feature with a VST.

In 2.6 if MIDI Macros will be implemented - i think you could do parameter snapshots of your midi CC macros, and morph between them. I have no expierience with the MPC, but is there something similar planned?

Probably not, at least at the moment. Would love to have this one the new standalones though!

1 Like

I tried to assign multiple destinations to a Q link controller in the current 1.9.6 software, that is also not possible currently. I.e. increasing delay feedback - and turning down a filter at the same time?

1 Like

Can you do this on the x/y?

Edit - Surprises me/bums me out that every box doesnā€™t have OT scenes functionality :wink: x/y pad looks like itā€™d be pretty good for ballpark? hoping itā€™s in there or added in v2. And expanded as a feature afterwards too (scene banks etc)ā€¦

1 Like

This kind of thinking is not typical for MPC products IMO, but if all the competitors have a feature, usually Akai has to follow up on them eventually.

This is the point Iā€™ve tried to stress throughout this thread - MPCs are traditionally KISS devices. If you expect anything freaky/groundbreaking like on elektron machines, you will be sorely disappointed.

That is how i think about it - there is so much hype, and if there is no scene feature - you will regret that you sold your Octatrack pretty fast. The midi sequencer seems good, but NI Maschine will blow it out of the water with the next 2.6 update. I will not say that the MPC live isnt usefull - but its will probably frustrate when you want to do advanced editing.

The take away feature is a nice thing, but i could install NI maschine also on a laptop, use it as sequencer and have some VST support on the go aswell. If i limit me to some essential plugins, a cheap laptop will do it - and i have a mobile solution. Timing is way better than Abelton Live if run in standalone mode.

This kind of stuff would be icing on cake. Looks like a ton of other workflow stuff there in v2 that I can use for creative/weird tho and Iā€™ll be keeping my OT so all good :wink:

1 Like

Well the Pioneer Toraiz looks like a joke now. The MPC Live is cheaper and has way more functionality. The Toraiz 32 sec audio limit is dreadful. You also can edit alot deeper in the MPC because of 2.0. It will be interesting to see the three battle it out. but im guessing

1 MPC
2 OT
3 Toraiz

You are not making sense to me - no MPC ever had anything like the OT scenes. No-one advertised such a feature either.

2 Likes

It feels like some people on this thread are somehow hoping the MPC will be an improved Octatrack as opposed to an improved MPC.
I think the MPC concept has always been different from the OT, maybe less experimental but more functional.

Iā€™m not saying one is better than the other, but some of the wishes about the MPC Live Iā€™ve read in this thread were about p-lock, probability triggers, advanced lfos and similar, stuff that from my idea of what the MPC has been so far, do not really belong there.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. OTOH if Akai went suddenly crazy and added elektronesque features to MPCs, I would not object to it in the slightest :diddly: But yeah, MPCs are MPCs and elektron boxes are elektron boxes, they are almost like two sides of a coin, very different.

3 Likes

Mpc an octatrack is not. The mpc makes total sense to me. The octatrack on the other hand I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my way to making musicā€¦

A lot of people ended up getting the toraiz because they were starved for a modern standalone mpc. Akai could have announced the mpc was coming but decided not to. Surprising given they were not so far off

1 Like

100% agree, thatā€™s why I fully believe that they complement each other rather than compete!

2 Likes