MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Not new, as I said, closest to what I’ve imagined.
Turning point from said devices and others as in ease of use, power, portability, approaching computer options, not convoluted, something your happy to use and don’t run back to the computer.

And my point was it only gets better from here, those were good, these are better, in a few years or more, wow!

2 Likes

You’re not the only musician who wants small, compact multi-purpose devices.

2 Likes

Adding to my post a few above,
I feel I must also add that I’m not GASing for this new technology, you can make good music with some tin cans and vocal cords, It’s just exiting to see this stuff progress…

It’s a very specific combo, though. But even so, I’d like to think that this multi-box trend might see something keyboard-based beyond the JD-Xi, soon.

no please not!! this plastic-sound-bomber wasn’t powerfull…

1 Like

Haha just seemed obvious suggestion as they own alesis and probably very low cpu :wink:

The micron actually sounded pretty good, although I never found the 5000 version as nice without all the presets to work with and from.

those 20 filter-models or whatever the micron got … couldn’t hear that much difference… no not my world :sob: :wink:

anyway… the MPCLive midi-capability, would be nice to know how they implemented it, LFOs?

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but AFAIR you can automate a lot of CC messages and you have the piano roll view for editing + scales and chords, and the performance pads (for chord progressions etc), but no LFO modulating…? However, I’ve only read the old manuals so coulda been additions down the line for 2.0

From what I have seen, the MPCLive is much more worthy of the “Ableton Live in a box” moniker than anything that has come before it.

I love that you can plug a USB QWERTY KB in to name files and folders.

Things I am interested to know that I have either not discovered yet, or have not been announced nor demonstrated:

• Looping/transitioning between programs (will I still need my Pigtronix Infinity to transition in and out of programs?)
  • Probability functionality for steps and parameter automation.
  • LFO capabilties.
  • Keygroup import from outside “packs” (Samples From Mars, Ableton Live, Kontact, etc.)
  • Can the DSP keep up with all the demands of the FX specifications, across 8 stereo tracks + all those stereo voices + send/return busses. The spec shows capabilities of a total of 300+ FX processors when everything is combined. How realistic is that? Will this be a Blofeld situation like ¯_(ツ)_/¯ , or will we have a DAW style CPU meter/graph to manage resources.
  • Multi-track recording when hooked up to a DAW. All I have seen is “multi-output plugin support (up to 16 stereo outputs)”. What multi-track recording facilities exist in standalone?
8 Likes

8 stereo audio tracks!
Not sure about any of the others tho but should be easy to look up the software capabilities online.
Having said that the old mpc hardware were not super good with lfo options, very basic per pad basis

Even with Jjos…

I like the looper idea - that alone will be a killer feature to have.

Wow it seems that the most excitement for the new mpcs is from here, makes sense though as we are overly enthusiastic of standalone music machines :slight_smile:

In case i missed it, has anybody heard if the apc 40 works with the new mpcs via usb? I would have thought they would be a natural combination since it is also made by akai, it can get around the 16 pad limitation for clip launching and it has 8 faders for the 8 tracks in standalone mode. Maybe the crossfader could allow some sort of OT tricks too.

would really like to see the live demo’ed by some of the roland sp gurus, as in some ways it is like an sp404 on steroids!

1 Like

It was not explicitly mentioned in the Sonic Lab video, but based on the fact that it is USB class compliant, and that the Akai guy mentioned the use of external controllers/keyboards, I would guess that it might work…

1 Like

Pretty sure the APC40 would work. However, I doubt any proper “integration” would be onboard, as it’s not really a super good match for the MPC 2.0 software (Akai is selling the mk II anyways so why support mk I?)

Apc40 mk1 is not class compliant, so I have doubts it works directly on MPC L.

Be nice if this makes it on to Live but not sure if would even be on Akai’s road map list. Mpc looks aimed way more at linear/songs than patterns. So it’d just be a case of quickly scroll through the song in piano roll view and add/delete notes for variation/random etc. For me personally that’s kind of a preferable workflow. Having both would be good tho :wink: Especially if there’s a midi/sampler equivalent of the ‘clip launch’ mode.

1 Like

It is? Only the ableton mode requires the handshake etc?

I remember trying to use it with the Machinedrum with no success. I lent it to a friend of mine that plays ITB so I cannot test it right away. But there are high chances it does not work.