MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Agree that prob runs on some form of Unix which is less memory hungry than fully fledged Windows but if the RAM, Processor and DSP are not beefy enough, the architecture is not efficient or resources arent allocated properly then it doesnt matter what the underlying OS is.

And this brings into question the whole battery life also - how many electronics have we had with rechargeable batteries that are just shite or become shite after moderate use… My iphone to start… :slight_smile:

Yes I agree but I think it would be unfair to think all tasks will happen instantaneously all the time asthey will not. On the Octatrack it takes several seconds to save a project. This is not lag. If they have designed the software functions and navigation well, then the user should be able to see and distinguish the diference between general navigation speed and when heavy processes are running. This could pose an issue if not designed effectively.

This sounds great, I had read about it too, but I am not used to a Pro-Tools environment (yet) and don’t know about them :wink:

Maybe there is a chance that those tools might be integrated in the software itself, like tools in Ableton? But as you say, there is the option to connect to a computer, which will allow to transfer projects and use them anyway.

Now let’s wait, until the first machines have been demonstrated in real live … and … I am waiting to lay my hands on an owners manual eagerly :wink:

I hope that Akai has included some headspace for future extensions and upgrades. At the end of the day the entire new MPC line is a kind of “computer” with a very special task. It would be great if there was something like RAM-extensions for sample and software use, particularly since RAM is quite cheap in GB since years. 2GB RAM shared by software and samples seems not to be too generous … :wink: Or was it 2GB for samples only?

1 Like

In a sense the Akai Live is a cut down sturdy tablet with a small touch screen that runs one app, but has nice pads and good IO.

That’s neutralised my GAS for another 24 hours.

7 Likes

And of course recall. Modular is always a one time deal. Which is kind of magical, but also kind of a drag.

I’m not sure if this an obvious lag because his hand stops too. It can be a video compression consequence.

All hardware is essentially a computer in a dedicated box dude, that makes no sense. And there is a huge difference imo between playing on the couch with one box vs playing at a computer desk with a laptop regardless how good the controller is, and I have push 2. I would sell it and my mpc 1000 in a heart beat for the mpc live given it delivers on all the hype. At this point for me all I want are some dedicated moterized faders for mixing itb that’s it. All the creation bit for me is to be otb, just a preference.

Lol, yeah impc pro but with out the shitty iOS

Why, do you plan on making chops while playing live? Seems a little ridiculous to me

I told myself exactly same thing about the Toraiz :wink: But this looks way more useful/practical/flexible…

Doesn’t it make more sense to think of it more the other way round? Like it’s kind of an updated mpc1000/sp555/Rc505/DP-006/Microsampler/Circuit/Rompler/USB hub etc with 4 assignable knobs, standard transport buttons etc… + a huge ass touchscreen for sample chopping etc? + £450 cheaper than OT (which it beats for linear sequencing, polyphony etc) and Toraiz (which on paper it kills all over).

I can fully get people’s beef if it turns out to be laggy/buggy as hell tho :wink:

I think his point is that on the old MPCs you can work fast and the machine keeps up. Still to be seen if that’s true for the new ones because there are no vids of them being pushed.

3 Likes

I don’t. I was just saying wanna see a video where it’s being pushed in terms of both Cpu hit and fast UI interaction.

New OT costs £1k right? So the Live is £200 cheaper.

My mistake, some reason I thought they’d gone up to £1200 a while back :confused:

100% agree, the real test for me always lies in the sound on sound review, I will be keenly waiting on that.
But to say the workflow is fast on old MPCs is a little dishonest, always having to stop the freaking sequencer!

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone already posted this, if so sorry
But it’s officially up on the akai website

They were the first ones with a preview, so they might get exclusive review

This para from the specs page makes me think the AIR effects are running on the standalone unit:

To Plug or Not to Plug
Powering Live is MPC 2.0, Akai Professional’s new update to the MPC software. Capable of running natively on the MPC Live in standalone mode, MPC 2.0 can also be run from a Mac or PC with the Live tethered to a computer.

And this link puts AIR in MPC 2.0 whilst retaining original effects:

With mpc touch i dident have any lag or something like this,
It was very good unit for 600 euro,and the sequencer it was good!
Mpc 2.0 with mpc live.