MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Man, I really wanted an OT. I had one on order until this thing came along. Changed my order pronto! I just want something that can sample locally and have a great editing on the fly. Electribe Sampler didn’t work out for me. I hope I made the right choice!

Will the work flow make us doing this kind of music?

1 Like

You can totally destroy screws with a bad tool.
A French saying states that “good tools make a good craftsman” (one also says that the bad craftsman blames his tools).
Still, in 2017 it’s hardly acceptable to have half cooked FX in a 1k€ box.
I personally prefer few and high quality than many poor.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a strip of USB knobs out there that’ll fit along the top above the screen? I’d be down for some permanent velcro :wink: any suggestions?

Agreed, I’ll get on with what’s there but it’s nice to ‘enjoy’ using fx and not feel like ‘oh well, guess it’ll have to do’. Hopefully they at least added a better reverb and couple of characterful fx. A useable bitcrusher/lofi, distortion, gritty tape delay sim and a dirty spring reverb would do me. More would be nice tho :wink:

1 Like

There’s always something, isn’t there?

1 Like

Well yeah, until companies stop being retarded with fundamentals :wink: Making a killer new standalone and porting fx from the mpc 5000 (8 years old… I read this is what they’ve done with the Touch software) is just lazy/corner cutting. I can see why they did it for the Touch controller when people could just use VST but you’d think they’d want these standalones to shine. But maybe they have updated for v2 software.

I’m sure the FX will be ‘useable’ but if they don’t stand up well against current hardware standards then obvs people are going to point that out?

1 Like

Thanks for that info :slight_smile: Wonder if/how using timestrech will affect polyphony? Also things like how does the looper and clip launching fit in with/alongside other playing tracks. Never used an mpc so I don’t fully understand what’s possible simultaneously. Interested for some deeper videos asap…

Yep. I’m not arguing the point, just saying there’s always something.

Though I might be prepared to go on record and saying that the MPC Live seems anything but retarded.

1 Like

i have mpc1000 and damn, it’s so dated… fx limitations, 128ram - not nearly enough, if you’re gonna play whole live set with it, and 2-3 minutes of loading time - good luck with changing projects on stage :wink: sure, if you use only oneshots - it’s fine, but i like to use some prerecorded synth parts and they are usually quite long… also you can’t switch sequences if you recorded some notes, you need to press stop first. and that’s a bummer. also bad midi sync latency. also 32 voices, well it’s kinda enough, but if you’re using layering, and muting some parts in a sequence - they’re still stealing voices, that’s a pain really. and also bad switches - i’ve replaced each one of them and somehow they’re breaking again. also it’s heavy, yeah.
i have been waiting for a new take on standalone mpc, totally happy that it’s finally gonna happen. and it’s cool they’re searching for a new performance modes, cause sitting at nextseq screen the whole time is not that great… so yeah, let’s wait and see, if it’s good

3 Likes

The 2500 is probably about half price elsewhere in the world but right now they’re still costing silly money in the UK. I think I bought (and sold) a 2500 for about £500 which is £300 less than the Live. Last I checked, £500 was at the lower end on the second hand market! Crazy.

I’m not reconsidering everything, but i’m like you, that’s on my list for 2017. I wait full operator manual to see

1 Like

Never judge a product based on demo you watch. it’s always more powerfull, it’s always sounding better, at some point you always doing something who suit exactly or very close to what you have in mind :wink:
If you talking to someone about Access Virus, a lot of people will say “it’s mainstream” and laugh. BUT, you can do a lot with it, just don’t show it and people will like the sound. Ears must be the always the Last judge part on Music and not Brand, Visual aspects, wood vintage on the side, reflections, look like an airplane…

It is not the cockpit that forces admiration ! It is the pilot who lays the plane in extremely difficult case and only him alone has the ability to achieve this feat exactly at this moment.

3 Likes

Not counting on the fx to sound great, but usable. I only like the fx of the 4k (maybe because they were made for the Z series samplers?), never have been a fan of the fx on the 1k or the 2k5., YMMV. Thsi still doesn’t mean they can’t be good for anything, I bet they’ll do in a pinch.

With 2GB of RAM, I’ll have no probs resampling stuff thru some UAD or eventide love for parts where I want lxury fx sounds. Heck I can even resample just the wet signals and layer dry/wet later so I can mix and mute em individually. The stepup from 128MB RAM to 2GB is almost twentyfold, I am sure alot of flexibility will arise from that.

3 Likes

I had Akai Z8 and an E-Mu e6400 Ultra with Rfx-32 card by the past… and at this time i must admit i prefered EMU for Sampling and Effects though :stuck_out_tongue:

(shame Creative absord EMU GRRRR !!! )

2 Likes

Never tried any EMU gear myself, heard its badass though
Didn’t many of those UK dnb moguls (who all rode black sports cars lol) swear by em?

1 Like

Kind of :joy: But it also the ERA where people separate themselves between Asian stuff and US Stuff and said man, US Stuff is dope in Bass, Asian Stuff is so Metallic and Cold :joy:
Which we find always today with Pro Dave Smith / Moog against the rest of the World

Sorry but Mpc 2500 = 6.5 kg ! My back really cares !
Especially because I’d use it with other gear.
I have a plugged setup I can use live, sofa, and studio.
Even with Jjos2xl it is old, not intuitive if you go deeper in fonctionalities. I don’t regret my choice to get rid of the Mpc 1000. Ram 128 Mb max. Pads have bad sensitivity also, even with new pads. I had an Mpc 2000 and Roland Hpd15 so I could compare with good pads.
If you love it, I’m happy for you. :slight_smile:

Considering used MPC1000 somewhere near perfect condition seem to have been going for approx £500, and then you had to pay for JJOS… Seems pretty hard to knock the Live looking at it as an updated mpc 1000 at £800. The portable/hybrid daw thing can just be looked at as a bonus.

Screen lag looks a bit sketchy but I’m guessing knobs can be used for most ‘movement’ things instead? It looks responsive enough with taps, just seems to flake out a little with motion.

Some of the worst/least informative initial product demos I’ve ever seen tho so it’s hard to get a feel for what it can do yet. Something vague’s holding me back from placing a pre-order… Need like a 15 minute continuous video of someone just going through it all… Kinda like the deluge demo videos but a little less chatty.

Lag is a strange one. I did spot that moment on the SoS video but I’ve seen other vids that looked more than acceptable. Think for sure we need a lengthy video.

1 Like