MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Ultimately I want to create live sets and individual songs using analog keys, analog four, octatrack and rytm. I want to finalise these tracks in DAW. I want to integrate Reaktor as another sound source into the DAW as another live set / song finalization tool. Reaktor is also a sound source for OT. I see MPC as a tool to improve the song creation process on the hardware side.

I want to use hardware independant of the computer for live sets, hence the initial live set creation in hardware boxes first.

1 Like

Oooooh! I just watched a video about them. ā€œController modeā€ where you can use both as a midi controller for their software. #CalledIt

Laymans terms pls.
Welcome to the new GAS party btw

Both units can be used as standalone, but they also come with software where you can use it like a Maschine-like thing where the hardware unit acts as a controller for computer composition

Iā€™ve been very intrigued by this since I heard about it. Very cool! The fact that it can be used in/out of the box sells me on it. The closest thing to a sampler overbridge! ELEKTRON!!!

I think I knew that.

Mr. Wild swore that it was just a standalone unit.

Nowā€¦if you could use the midi from your hardware projects and use that for your ITB project. THAT would be something!

Jam out on my bed/nightstand and then pull the thing over to my computer and bust it out.

Same here. Competition is good! Not sure the MPC is for me but Iā€™m excited to see what it might spur Elektron to do, and even if Ableton might package Live and Push into one box. Push 3 standalone?

Watching these videos, I completely forgive them for their Rhythm Wolf

1 Like

Nahh standalone and integrates with MPC 2.0 software on your computer.

1 Like

Iā€™m sold on this thing. Like completely. It looks like the greatest thing ever. All itā€™s missing are parameter locks from what Iā€™m seeing

But it sounds great, and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t get a toraiz

1 Like

Iā€™ll wait for you to debug this thing first.
But the more I think about it, the more I see some kind of >OP-1 standalone mobile station to create music outside of homeā€¦

Still, this device doesnā€™t have the same appeal to me, unfortunately, for some reason.
Maybe Itā€™s Dan Wolf that killed the brand in my subconsciousā€¦
I have absolutely no GAS.

It feels weirdā€¦

I get what youā€™re saying. I couldnā€™t get into the OP-1, I felt very limited within lines, maybe if I loved the OP-1 more this wouldnā€™t have the same allure. I couldnā€™t get into the workflow. But this is a nice workflow improvement where I can move around. I am filled with natural error, so the OP-1 didnā€™t work for me. I got stressed out whenever it was time to record onto it.

This seems more ideal for that.

One thing Iā€™ll give the OP-1, the built in mic was great!

As far as a song builder inside itself, I canā€™t get the OP-1. But for a sound source, yeah, Iā€™m missing the OP-1. The mic and play was great. And those new synth engines were great. I played around with Voltage just long enough to love it </3

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly the point of the whole affair

1 Like

This WITH Op1 tho :wink: Op1 sequencers controlling multisampled programs and polyphonic timestreched weirdness chords/drumkits, using sample layers with lfo ā€˜layer cycā€™, crazy long poly pads on one track etcā€¦ Itā€™ll get interesting once videos appear of people doing more than the obvious on it :wink: You canā€™t escape GAS that easy :wink: Tho Iā€™m bit concerned about the FX. Hoping theyā€™re half decentā€¦

Edit - + the portable practical, expandable huge ass memory sound/sample bank + scratch pad side of itā€¦ Which tbh is main appeal to me.

1 Like

Be interesting to see the editing of the audio recorded tracks and whether overdubbing or comping is supported.
All locked to a midi clock this could be a great multi tracker, record whole takes, chop, edit, copy, cross fade and add more sounds via the sequencerā€¦

And the 2xmidi means Iā€™m back on board the gas boat, be great with a modular!

This is a leprechaun
This is happening

2 Likes

I have to agree with you @Ryan - I loved the design and the feel of the OP-1 also I really got into the simplicity of the sound engines and the FX, but I must say I could never find a proper workflow on it. It wasnā€™t the tape that bothered me - it was the sequencers. Once I got my first elektron I could never go back to endless, or monkey drummers, or any of them really - they all felt super limited and I would think ā€œscrew this I could do this quicker on RYTMā€.

Iā€™ve never owned an MPC before, but I did try out iMPC Pro on ipad and itā€™s really easy to work with. The sample editing and sequencing on the new MPC hardware line looks almost indentical to the iMPC Pro software which gets me thinking: ā€œis it just an ipad with a fancy boxā€ LOL I can honestly say the tactile nature of the MPC live and X look amazing, but I almost wonder, will the functions of their OS feel as mechanical as a DAW or an ipad app ? I wish I could get my hands on one and find out :wink:

I would agree there are some features on both of these devices that seem to out-do Octatrack, but I think OT has an organic instrument-like feel to it that I donā€™t know can be replaced. Would I replace mine ā€¦ jeeze Iā€™m not sure. I would miss the scenes and crossfader too much maybe. The possibility of unlimited storage with a SATA SSD drive ā€¦ DROOOOLS Also the sample editing ā€¦ so fluid and easy. Also I like the phono in and all the IO on both boxes. Oh battery on Live ā€¦ that could be really handy for sketching on the go or park jams.

Time will tell ā€¦ Iā€™ve said it twice in two days - 2017 I will be f-ing broke !

3 Likes

Yeah. I just like innovation. This is a really good idea, and that makes me more inclined to buy it. Iā€™m personally also trying to figure how this would benefit me over my iPad. Thatā€™s a valid point. It certainly seems much more immediate and heavy duty. But is it worth spending 1k+ for it. Thatā€™s the question.

It does look like a lot of fun.

I had a massive problem with the tape. And the endless sequencer. And for song creation, I wanted individual tracks. but with the feel of playing it live. Maybe if I were using ableton more, Iā€™d have been better off. But pulling the tracks out and trying to loop them in logic removed the human feel of it all.

If I find another one at a ridiculously good price. Iā€™m on it, though

1 Like

One thing I like in OP-1 sequencer is the fact that you can launch one midi sequence against another with the monkeys.
I got some very interesting polyrhythms with thisā€¦ Wonder if MPC can do such thing, like launch a midi sequence when you hit (or hold) a pad.

1 Like