MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Personally all I ever really wanted was an MPC with timestretch, so anything beyond that is a bonus.

Now I can sell that sp404sx I just bought and stop deliberating between the workflows of OT and MPC1000 :thup:

2 Likes

Very interesting, it is making it hard for me to keep the OT all things considered. I am relatively new to OT, have not implemented it into my workflow yet, so would not be a great loss to sell and replace. I am interested in the vision as to how they would work well together. Im not picturing it well at the moment.

I think the OT has a very distinct voice on its own - with the slider you could automate any parameter you like, and with multiple destinations - that is not possible on the mpc. I think they will compliment just fine, the MPC will sound different - think of the Octatrack as an instrument, and learn it before you decide further.
The midi sequencer seems a lot better on the MPC though.

3 Likes

Yes, I can wait for sure, I have the fundamentals I need to make music and enough gear to learn for a while, so no need to rush into the MPC world, but definitely a possible path forward to add that extra layer - level to improve workflow potentially.

I just hope we can make real sampler program (one or more sample mapped on keyboards with different sample with zone) and play it polyphonically like old sampler in that one, not sliced wave file like with the OT. (which i not complain just an another approach to sample)

Then with timestretch on top of that it should be very cool

• great effects > with Qlinks
2 Likes

I had a MPC5K in the past and although a different beast I can see how the MPC workflow would improve IN MY SITUATION on the OT.
Being able to quickly sample multiple drum hits and map them to pads to create a drum kit for example, creating program with multisamples (Akai already said this is compatible with previous mpc libraries (Iā€™m quite sure I read so) is another plus. And audio tracks. OT is a different thing, so I feel like the MPC live, assuming it works well, might make it collect a bit of dust. But Iā€™m not writing it off yetā€¦

1 Like

I tried an mpc touch at a store for a bit and kind of felt the whole look and feel of the user interface as well as touchscreen elements felt like a sub standard ipad app. I hope that was just due to the brief time i spent on it, as the live is interesting and would be something i would consider in the future, would really like to see what the standalone effects are like and how it can integrate with other hardware.

1 Like

Hmm, probably you are right - a lot depends on how responsive the system is. If it feels sluggish - the whole thing may be introducing more hassle than its worth.

This app looks promising - but its not a real comparision to the MPC. The music analyzer seems like a nifty idea.

http://de.yamaha.com/de/products/apps/mobile_sequencer/?mode=model

1 Like

Having just bought an OT its an interesting time to be alive, but I like that the OT isnt a modern-day multi-coloured pad system, its more stripped back aesthetically, and stands on its own as a tough little unit. With Push and Rytm theres only so many rainbow pad thingies i want hanging around in my space.

I agree with Cosmic, the 2/4 inputs on the OT really caters to their pre-existing line of boxes. If Elektron could somehow generate the throughput to record all 8 tracks to the CF card simaeltaneously, basiaclly, all my ā€˜all in one boxā€™ needs would be met :slight_smile:

That said, Iā€™m not looking for a new all-in-one sampler. The OT already covers that. I would would much prefer a modern day update to the Monomachine than anything elseā€¦

5 Likes

X looks like a beast, CV outs, pretty OLED rotary displays.

Wowzers, will be pricey as feck in AU when it drops.

This is my main concern. I donā€™t like the idea of touchscreen for hardware. Akai need to have nailed the responsiveness so itā€™s at least comparable to using something like Beatmaker 2 on ipad. Which is still gonna be fiddly on a small screen but I can live with it considering the portability/storage/connectivity etc. Looking at the UK price I think a lot of people would have paid Ā£100+ moreā€¦ Akai could have thrown on a few more knobs/buttons and charged a little more. Might have been a good move anyway so as not to piss off Touch users feeling like they got short changed/tricked. But whatā€™s done is done, hopefully some long videos appearing soonā€¦

The thing about the MPC is you can still do everything it does, if you have already integrated with a DAW as part of your workflow. If I was totally comfortable with my DAW workflow and there wee no limitations then I would be passing on the MPC, as it seems an additional cost for minimal benefit. That said, I have never learned a DAW, and am considering this integration, so MPC is appealing as it could be an improved way to achieve that workflow considering i have very little DAW experience.

1 Like

Yer worried about AU prices on these unjits.

From what I have gleamed from various posts yesterday - the Live has itā€™s own GPU (it has to to operate in standalone mode!) while the Touch relied on external GPU grunt for its display. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not quite as black and white as that but generally speaking, latency is inherent with the way the Touch works.

Early reports suggest latency is greatly reduced. Having said that, Iā€™ve seen one video from yesterday which didnā€™t look too great IMO but the rest of them looked pretty responsive. For something that relies so heavily on the touch side of things Im gonna have to wait for some real world user opinions.

1 Like

If you donā€™t want/need the portability of these standalones itā€™d maybe be more beneficial to grab Push2 and learn ableton? Way deeper than the Akai software from what Iā€™ve seen so far. Daws are all very similar once you get in to it. But for instance The Push sampler options seem to be way deeper than the Akai and probably better digital filters etc. I could be wrong thoā€¦

Im at the point where I am looking into all options DAW wise: Audio interface with Push - Ableton Standard (comes with a 1K cost, suitable Overbridge integration), Audio Interface with Bitwig (around 400.00 cost, possible best Overbridge integration), or something like MPC Live (around 1 k cost with reduced DAW features, no overbridge integration?). I am still learning my hardware so really an educational review of the options at the moment.

1 Like

If local retailers add the australia tax, thereā€™s always the option of buying it through MPCstuff: 1628aud for the Live, 2986aud for the X. Canā€™t remember what they charge for postage.

1 Like

Canā€™t remember which video it was but looked like the Live had some big venting grill holes on the sides. Might be a concern if throwing it in bag packs/using it around kids.

Also apparently Windows 7 not supported. My studio desktop is still win7, solid and had no plans to update it :confused: not a dealbreaker as have a studio win 10 laptop, kind of a PITA thoā€¦ Maybe itā€™ll work on win7 even tho not supported?

Still sounds like a lot of money :slight_smile:

1 Like

I upgraded to Win 10 on all my PCs over Christmas. Got sick of newer stuff coming out not supported on Win 7