MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

If curious, here is how the MPC is sized versus an elektron box

pretty close scale according to the specs

8 Likes

I bet chickensystem Translator should be useful

http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/

[details=What is Translator]Translator™ 6 Specifications

Take any sampler CD-ROM/disk and Translator™ 6 can convert one or any of its Programs, Instruments, or Samples - or the entire CD-ROM/disk - into another format that you can use directly with that sampler!

Take any sampler CD-ROM/disk and Translator™ 6 can convert one or any of its Programs, Instruments, or Samples - or the entire CD-ROM/disk - into another format that you can use directly with that sampler!

Program parameter information is translated, as well as the samples and structure. Wavedata, keymaps, looping, effects - EVERYTHING. No program translates better. Translator™ 6 pays attention to the small details, faithfully replicating your sounds.

Translator™ 6 is a cross platform application - comes in Universal Binary Mac OSX and Windows 8/7/Vista/XP-compatible flavors, and can translate practically every professional format, from Kontakt, EXS24, Giga3/GigaStudio, SFZ, Alchemy, Reason NN-XT, HALion, MachFive, SoundFont, SampleCell, Kurzweil, Ensoniq, Akai, Emu, Roland, and many more. This enables musicians to use practically any sound for their sampler, no matter what format it is in.

Translator™ 6 offers a huge amount of ancillary functions, such as special utilities of every sampler format. Of particular interest is the Reference Manager, which can relink and change the links to external samples from their program files. Other functions include Bulk Editing, the Loop Manager, Extend Key Ranges, merging, and much more.

Source Formats
Software
Native Instruments Kontakt Instrument (.nki; .nkm; .nkb)
Apple EXS24 (.exs)
Digidesign Structure (.patch)
Steinberg HALion 1 and 2 (.fxp)
MOTU MachFive 1, 2, 3 (.m5p; .m5m)
Tascam GigaStudio (all versions) (.gig)
Propellerheads Reason NN-XT (.sxt)
Emu EmulatorX (.exb)
Creamware Pulsar (.sts; .p; .s)
Akai MESA 1 and 2 (.prg;.s3p)
SoundFont (.sf2)
Downloadable Sounds (.dls)
Cakewalk SFZ (.sfz)
Speedsoft VSampler (.vbs)
Sonoma Wireworks DrumCore/KitCore (.userKit)
iRompler (.xsml)
Steinberg LM-4 mrk I and mrk II (.txt;.fxp)
Digidesign SampleCell (.ins)
Native Instruments Battery 1, 2, 3, and 4 (.nbkt; .kit; .kt2; .kt3; .cel; .cl3)
Native Instruments Reaktor (.map)
Bitheadz Unity DS-1 (.uds)

Groove Boxes
Akai MPC-60, 3000, 2000, 2000XL, 1000/2500/500/5000 (all versions) (.pgm; .wav; .snd)
Roland MV-8000 (.mv0)
Akai MPC-4000 (.akp; .wav)

Hardware Proprietary Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Roland S-5x
Roland S-7x
Emu Emax II
Emu E3/ESi
Emu E4/EOS
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Kurzweil (.krz;.k25;.k26)
Yamaha A-Series

Workstations and Hardware Computer Format Samples
Alesis Fusion (.afp;.afi;.afs)
Yamaha Motif Classic, ES, XS, XF, MOXF (.w2v;.w7v;.x0v;.x3v;.x6v)
Roland Fantom-S, -X, and -G (.svd)
Korg Kronos/M3/Triton (.pcg;.ksc;.kmp;.ksf)
Yamaha Tyros 2,3,4,5 (.tvn;.uvn)
Akai S-5000/Z-Series

Slice Files
Recycle I and II (.rx2, .rex; .rcy)
ACID (.wav)
AppleLoops (.aif;.aiff)
Stylus RMX
Akai Chopshop (.wav)
Native Instruments Kontakt Beat Machine (.nki)
Emu EmulatorX TwistaLoop (.exb)

Single Samples
WAVE (.wav)
AIFF (.aif;.aiff)
Akai MPC (.snd)
Korg Sample (.ksf)
Apple CAF (Core Audio Format) (.caf)

Destination Formats
Software
Native Instruments Kontakt Instrument (.nki; .nkm; .nkb)
Apple EXS24 (.exs)
Digidesign Structure (.patch)
Steinberg HALion 1 and 2 (.fxp)
MOTU MachFive 1, 2, 3 (.m5m; .m5p)
Propellerheads Reason NN-XT (.sxt)
Yellow Tools Independence (.ytil)
Cakewalk SFZ (.sfz)
IK Multimedia SampleTank 1 and 2 (.sth;.sti;.stw)
Native Instruments Battery 1, 2 and 3 (.kit; .kt2; .kt3; .cel; .cl3)
Native Instruments Reaktor (.map)
SoundFont (.sf2)
Downloadable Sounds (.dls)
Steinberg LM-4 mrk I and mrk II (.txt;.fxp)
Sonoma Wireworks DrumCore/KitCore (.userKit)
iRompler (.xsml)
Akai MESA 1 and 2 (.prg;.s3p)
Creamware Pulsar (.sts; .p; .s; .wav)

Workstations and Hardware Samplers
Alesis Fusion (.afp;.afi;.afs)
Yamaha Motif Classic, ES, XS, XF(.w2v;.w7v;.x0v;.x3v)
Roland Fantom-S, X, and G (.svd)
Korg Kronos/M3/Triton (.pcg;.ksc;.kmp;.ksf)
Yamaha Tyros 2,3,4,5 (.tvn;.uvn)
Akai S-5000/Z-Series

Groove Boxes
Akai MPC-60, 3000, 2000, 2000XL, 1000/2500/500/5000 (all versions) (.pgm; .wav; .snd)
Roland MV-8000 (.mv0)
Akai MPC-4000 (.akp; .wav)

Hardware Proprietary Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Roland S-7x
Roland XV-5080
Emu E4/EOS
Emu E3/ESi
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Ensoniq ASR-X (.sou;.aif)
Kurzweil (.krz;.k25;.k26)

Slice Files
ACID (.wav)
AppleLoops (.aif;.aiff)
Stylus RMX
Akai Chopshop (.wav)
Native Instruments Kontakt Beat Machine
Recycle 1 (.rex; .rcy)

Single Samples
WAVE (.wav)
AIFF (.aif;.aiff)
Akai MPC (.snd)
Korg Sample (.ksf)
Apple CAF (Core Audio Format) (.caf)
[/details]

2 Likes

Don’t think you have heard my tunes :slight_smile:
But thanks for the compliment. My focus is learning the elektron gear currently so in no great rush to move to DAW just yet. Just some forward planning happening at the moment, visionary stuff.

Thanks for heads up, I’ll check that out for sure if I grab a Live :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cinema 2:1 Scale !

Kubrick’s Monolith

2 Likes

And as I’m on a roll, for comparison …

6 Likes

3 Likes

I heard your stuff on IG when I had IG :wink:.

Just lurking along

Interesting. Toraiz too big for its lacks.
Mpc X needs 2 people to move.

3 Likes

Push2 comparison? :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha…
“We are taking the MPC into a new position in the market”
No, standalone MPCs has been around since day one, what´s new is it can be battery driven.

Akai has recognised that for 2017 the producer might be playing in live…
Come on Akai, where have you been for the last 10 years?! Ableton live has been doing this since day one and Akai snatched both the name “Live” and Abletons clip launch view. Oh, yeah but you took those and put them in a standalone box…again.

The funniest part is that they are trying to package it as a new product when in reality it´s a repackaging it´s competitors features and functionalities without adding any new features that they came up with.

If you don´t need a battery driven MPC with clips launch page and a laggy screen (at 1:11 in the video https://youtu.be/S-pzQuI3FO8?t=1m5sI) would recommend the MPC 2500 with JJ OS for half the price of the MPC Live but with full controls like the MPC X for 4x the price…hahahaha…

I´m not sure why people keep comparing the MPC with the OT. They are two completely different beasts when it comes to sequencing and functionalities.

Just checked Akai’s own site. In live’s features, they mention that the ports are USB 3 and “Ableton Link and WiFi will be supported in future updates”. So will this also be a solid way to sync the DAW to MIDI devices via link?

Regarding the 2k5, no audio tracks, no 2GB of RAM… You need to stop playback for many things to work, no connecting USB 3 peripherals, no SSD… No project compatibility with the desktop software (with JJOS) Let’s just say they’re not simple to compare either.

Hmm, I think I’ve ran into the first downer for me regarding the new live model. No footswitch inputs! They’d better include the OG MPC footswitch controls with the MIDI remote controls, I need that OVERDUB/PUNCH footswitch functionality back one way or the other :diddly::diddly::heat:

7 Likes

Audio tracks are available in JJ OS. I have a large compact flash and a integrated HDD. No need for SSD. If I want something fast, I´ll grab it from the compact flash. The 128Mb RAM works just fine to get a track done if you used a couple of 3 min audio files.

Very nice, but is it just me or that touch screen looks laggy (judging by the video)?
Could maybe replace my Octatrack for what i do but software need to be very good cause if it feels like an audio app running on a cheap Android tablet its a no go for me unfortunately.
Crossing my fingers !!

1 Like

Think you have me confused with someone else :slight_smile:

Needs a lil roli block in there…

1 Like

The Live will be 4.5mm taller, 70mm longer, and 42 mm wider…
But the OT stands on its own…

6 Likes

Anyone that owns Touch or downloaded the current software demo chyme in on fx quality? Anywhere online got a list of the available fx and parameters etc? Are they send only or insert also?

Someone earlier said fx aren’t available as onboard lfo destination. Could I midi CC them from OT Lfos?
Thanks

PDF Manual/UserGuide: https://www.pssl.com/c/Manuals/MPCTouch-UserGuide-v1.0.pdf

Pg 72 “Effects Overview” (insert + send/return)
Pg 266 “Effects And Parameters”