Moving on to an Octatrack MKII from a Digitakt

Agreed! I find using a compressor on T8 as master, very careful gain staging and using a synth for bass gets a great full rich sound.
You can get bass out of samples, but its never as good. Not to my ears anyway.

2 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s the one i downloaded when I searched the forum. Thanks for pointing that out!

Out of curiosity, how did you pair the DT and OT? Kind of curious on how people use the two together. I thought about maybe using the DT for drums and some FX.

1 Like

That was my initial thought too. It worked well, but I preferred the OT for drums as well. If you pair them up, youā€™ll love it! I just found the OT A4 combo so much more interesting

Iā€™m tempted to keep the DT with the OT, maybe use it basically for drums and bass.
Seems like overkill though. Thereā€™s also some mental confusionā€¦ it makes sense to program it directly from the DT, much faster than setting up MIDI from the OT. Yet when Iā€™m ā€˜in the zoneā€™ Iā€™d rather be focused on one machine.

I play wit OT/DTā€¦ Itā€™s a blast !

2 Likes

Already running into some newb issues. I have my digitakt output going into A/B input on Octatack, itā€™s blinking, but I canā€™t get any output. Iā€™ve selected A+B on the mixer. lol What am i missing here?

On the mixer page, I forget what itā€™s called but basically you Need to turn up the monitor levels if you just want hear it. If you are running it through a track then you need to place a trig to hear it, itā€™s basically used like a sample in that situation and passed through the synth engine.

2 Likes

haha thank you! I feel like an idiot. Goal today, read the manual (again), merlinā€™s guide, then a bunch of videos.

WOW, this thing is nothing like using a Digitakt.

1 Like

Itā€™ll take a while for it all to sink in, just enjoy the journey and try to avoid frustration, Iā€™ve had mine more or less since it was released and still havenā€™t explored itā€™s full potential :slight_smile: the DT is a basic but focused machine, the Octatrack is like a box of endless possibilities. The OT is my favourite Elektron box by far, but I really like the simplicity of the DT too. Thereā€™s actually a lot less crossover than you first imagine.

Congrats!
I can not recommend his videos enough Thavius Beck
Octatrack MKII Advanced Sampling
Elektron 301 - Combining Machines
His videos and a printed copy of the manual are a great combo.

4 Likes

Thavius Beckā€™s tutorials are awesome! And little tip: if you have an iphone or an ipad you can get the exact same courses as apps in the app store for 8.99 a piece :wink:

3 Likes

I select AB not A+Bā€¦ Do not remember why, but if i remember well AB is betterā€¦ Also on the mixer page, turn up the AB volumes :slight_smile:

Sorry to brake the dance but i didnā€™t find his tutorials helpfull in any wayā€¦ I learned many things from @defenestration and of course @sezare56ā€¦ The rest is already in the manual/merlin guide :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe A B is stereo, A+B sums the two.

4 Likes

Iā€™m with you, itā€™s not ā€œadvancedā€/doesnā€™t cover any advanced concepts, but what it covers it covers well and does so in a manner that is clear, concise and easy to follow.

I found the Octatrack tutorial a great starting point to orientate myself with the machine, and the Analog Four course was awesome to really understand the building blocks of that wonderful synth.

The setup

8 Likes

Been going through a similar predicament. Iā€™ve had the DT for a little more than a year. Iā€™m hooked on it but I keep wanting to have the ability to use full tracks/songs and being able to mix the skeletal tracks Iā€™ve recorded over the years but Iā€™m thinking I might want to keep my DT rather than sell it to keep for itā€™s quick abilities as I adjust to the complexity of the OT.

Would you say your glad you still have the DT as you learn the OT or would you say if you had to go without the DT that there would be any regrets of just having the OT by itself?

Well thanks for any advice/tips.

I just play with music as a hobby so in order to not spend money I sell gear to get gear and itā€™s either the DT and one synth or both of my more premium analog synths to keep the DT.

1 Like

Not OP but here is something to consider with the DT and could help you ā€œkeep bothā€:

Also the DT has some tricks the OT canā€™t do. So if you are going to sell to buy thatā€™s fine just be aware you might lose something you enjoy.

2 Likes

As a synth DTā€™s 4 octaves range is definitely to consider. OT has only 2.
Workarounds with Slices.

Other examples?
I remember this but I probably miss several :
Sample slots can be lfoed with the DT, but once again Slices is a workaround.
Plockable Program Changes
Notes overlapā€¦

2 Likes