Moving From MKII to MKII UW

Decided I shoulda gotten a UW the first time around and ready to make the leap! Anyone here do this? Curious how much more functionality I’ll get (aside from the obvious of just being able to load up samples) and also if there’s an easy way to transfer my work? It’d be cool to keep all my kits and patterns that I’ve built on the non-UW.

1 Like

The only benefit to the UW version is the sample recording and playback.

[If you get a MkII unit with the +Drive installed, you will be able to keep 128 backups of the MD’s memory on the unit itself.]

You should back up your MD’s data to a computer using the SYSEX SEND function in the GLOBAL > FILE menu. Then you will be able to reload the data onto any other MD MkII. Read the section in the manual (pages 63 to 70) carefully.

4 Likes

Timely thread, I was actually just talking with people about the same thing. You should be able to back it up!

2 Likes

The biggest perk is the +drive. Multiple snapshots. Exponential more storage. Totally worth it for that inspirational machine.

Samples sound really good on the UW though and it really takes the machine to a powerful new level.

You can get by with synthesis on the machine alone- but with sample-playback and live sampling you can take over the world.

It’s a beautiful machine, I hope you really enjoy it!

1 Like