Most Powerful “Minisynth” Ever

Novation mininova.

Alesis Micron.

3 Likes

The OG Nova may be more feature packed than the MiniNova.

Yeah, probably.

1 Like

Actually I think nanoloop FM with the 0.5 update (song mode, new synth engine) may be the most powerful synth/groovebox ever made taking size into consideration.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Blofeld
DSI Tetra
Ambika

in slightly bigger form factor: Novation Nova Laptop

and yeah, MC-101 (but it’s a groovebox)

4 Likes

Empress Zoia

Euroboro could also count but I’m guessing most buyers are going to toss it into a Eurorack case and patch it with other modules, quickly moving it out of “mini” land

1 Like

I like all the contenders listed.

Before i posted this thread, i researched the meaning of “minisynth” and i agree with everyone here it doesn’t seem to have any precise definition.

Something you can play on your lap, like the Take 5 maybe ? :crazy_face:

what no take 5?

2 Likes

If minisynth is about the form factor, I’d say the Digitone is my most powerful compact synth, I bring it with me every time I’ll pay outside my studio because of the power / small footprint ratio.

If a battery is part of the definition, then my OP-1 is certainly on the top of the podium.

Now what I value most on a synth is the ability to compose tracks, and for this something lie a sequencer + multitimbrality, or at east multitrack recording ability, are a must, to me. I wonder if I could go that far with this one.

7 Likes

Trueno Synth

1 Like

I think few would be willing to nominate a synth that none of us have personal experience with just yet, as nice as Take 5’s specs look.

Hydrasynth Explorer can be considered because while it’s new, it’s running an engine that several peeps here are familiar with, and can thus advocate for how powerful it is, as well as deficiencies.

1 Like

Organelle wasn’t mentioned.
I’d vote for iPad too

2 Likes

What makes something “powerful”? Feature density? Playability?

1 Like

Eight cylinders should do the job:

(Good question, maybe the OG 303 is the most powerful compact synth ever, considering how many butts it has moved over the decades)

1 Like

NOTE : This was a joke about the first Sequential video with the dude awkwardly bouncing the “portable” Take 5 on his knees. Joke. :crazy_face: <= crazy_face

2 Likes

When it comes down to a max amount of features vs a small battery powered box…

OP1
Deluge
Model:Cycles
iPad with a bunch of softsynths.

2 Likes

Those who feel Take 5 is just as powerful as a Hydrasynth Explorer or whatever are free to feel as they wish, but it would be nice to see some justification. I say this to those people… Tell us why you think Take 5 is so powerful - the rest of us might learn something new from you.

Doesn’t the thread title say “mini”, not “portable”? I see somebody already started a debate on whether “mini” = “portable”. I’m staying out of that debate, thank you very much.

The Yamaha Reface CS is pretty sweet for the size and price, for sure. And batteries :raised_hands:t2:

5 Likes

Heh well that begs the question, what’s the point in being mini unless it’s portable? Space constraints in the studio/home maybe… but I think the appeal of these small devices is really amplified when they’re battery powered and portable. Not that I don’t also have small synths set up in my main space too, but it’s really fun knowing something has a lot of power/potential, and that it can go on the bus. Trying to pull you into the debate, because the somebody was me!

1 Like