Most perfectly mixed/mastered track of all-time?

You know I never really understood the purpose (?) of Basic Channel‘s Mutism, why did you mention it here?

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

3 Likes

As an example of creative sound design and mixing and how tin is the line between them in el. music

1 Like

Yah Rumours is great, perfect clarity and space.

5 Likes

Had a listen to “Hold Me” recently, there is a blending between Lindsey’s and Christine’s voice that is the most magical mesh of two human voices, you cant tell who is singing what at times…witchy…!..love it

2 Likes

O.K. Just had a listen to this album from beginning to end…wow! what happened to music? pure gold. …thank you…

2 Likes

Aja and Rumours were both released in 1977.
Late 70’s was probably the the peak moment for analog studio recordings, before things became digital.

4 Likes

And it really stands the test of time.

I think this means we are old men btw.

4 Likes

I remember being impressed by front 242 evil up / up evil …I think they’re called
Lots of nice gated female vocals.
Previous to those they reminded me of Amiga demo music.

Idk what it is but Rumors doesnt move me much. I think maybe over saturation.

But Tusk? My god. Absolute masterpiece. Capital A Artistry that they could be going through all that and still manage to get a record out let alone something line Tusk.

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed listening to all these tracks while at work. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

1 Like

I know it’s a whole album and you asked for a track but the whole thing is mastered so well I put it in as a whole.

the pink floyd albums from the 70s are brilliant, especially dark side of the moon and wish you where here

micheal Jacksons Thriller is also timeless

from recent years in electronic kraftwerks 3d katalog has reference quality

and the remastered box from oscar peterson - exclusivly for my friends

to avoid:
all albums by metallica, rick rubin,
colors from beck
remixes of st. peppers and the white album from the beatles

1 Like

I just like to compare my tracks to a reference of something but I dont think there is a “this was mastered/mixed better than this…etc”… I feel mixing and mastering specially today is just as much a creative process as is the composing part of music.
I do feel that every decision has to be intentional, aside from that its just a preference of sound in my opinion. As an example labels like Stones Throw have a very specific sound to their albums and is more stylistically than it is following the standards of mixing/mastering.

RIGHT? I cant be the the only one who thinks those new Beatles mixes are a bit extra, a bit glossy. Or maybe I’m old. Sgt Peppers esp: the charm of the original mix is gone; as if they had produced it today in a DAW.

And f*** Rick Rubin. Ruined mixing.

1 Like

Everyone should watch this in its entirety - never heard of her but now I’m in love in a gender neutral mucho respect and admiration kinda way :heart_eyes:

1 Like