Most Interesting Years for Music Production

I always wondered what was his mindset when he made this. Though it’s really nerdy, wouldn’t make my grandma listen to this.

2 Likes

That sounds amazing!

1 Like

On a side note: D-Styles´ new album was released today.

1 Like

Sorry, me again (ha!ha!). Since we were talking about 98 to 2004 music that was influential to us, as a dj at that time I got involved into free underground parties across Europe. Here are some artists records I played extensively during this period. Mainly D&B/Jungle/Breakcore/Idm stuff:

Interlope “Bat Vibe” Jarring effects records. 2001.

Crystal Distortion, one of the founders of the famous Spiral Tribe. Live set recorded in 2000, Praha CZ. Perce Oreille records. Those were printed in small series at that time (like 2000 copies max).

Radiobomb, “Need matches”. Self produced album. 2000.

To me this was cutting edge music, compared to the usual tech step/neurofunk vibe (which I like also, but everyone was playing that kind of stuff, and I’m attracted by what stands out of the box generally).

Oh man! I’ve heard that Interlope track many times but never new what it was. Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: Unfortunately they split. One of them still makes music, Dragongaz. Never heard of Rimshot again so far (the other part of the duo). Their live rig was really impressive back then, lots of hardware synths sequenced with an 1040 STE Atari and Cubase.

This tune was recorded during 2005 new years eve in London (technically, a few minutes away from the 98/2004 time zone):

1 Like

Also in my late thirties and I identified with most of those records. Although I’d say the last 15 years have been incomprehensibly fantastic for music production and the level of creativity we are seeing. The biggest change has to be the commoditization of tech and distribution.

In a few years we will start to hear musicians who were born into an age with total access to all music from any country, genre and period.

Gaining access to incredible music that wasn’t on the top 40 was incredibly difficult in the 90’s. Especially if you weren’t in the US/EU. Sometimes I think maybe that was better because it meant cultures could grow segregated from everyone else and be truly unique. But thankfully we haven’t seen things become homogeneous.

1 Like

Another necro from me (I’m really just searching from topics rather than starting new ones)

I’ve been listening to Amon Tobin these last days and it’s really blowing me away. You can live through so many years, even be around certain music but never have actually really ‘heard’ it. Amon Tobin is like that for me right now. What incredible work. Really sets a bar.

There really is just so much music, in any period. Before, after. It’s a great thing to sort of lean into, I mean, jungle, I’ve listened to stuff all jungle. I could spend a year just digging around in that.

I am sorta bummed the way record stores are these days. I mean, they’re pretty fresh. Maybe this is just an Australian thing but Discogs doesn’t really work here. Neither does Reverb. So I dunno, tracking old stuff down can be difficult without paying tonnes of shipping charges. Bandcamp for this sort of thing is the worst. I waited 3 months for a record to turn up and almost paid the same in the shipping as the record.

Anyway, slightly drifting but, I mean one can surf YouTube, just play old shit on a screen, but I love tracking down a record and dropping a needle on it at home. Most of the record stores near me seem to focus on bands and rock, there’s like, a Can section or Kraftwerk or something, maybe a Tangerine Dream record or two, Syro and a few Boards records, that’s about as far as they go. Might need to move towns to one with better record stores tbh lol

2 Likes

…don’t be fooled by ur personal timeframes of perception…

since every life span has some classic evolutionary based standard peaks…

ur early and ur late teenage experiences about music have their special, kind of everlasting impacts on u…
not to mention all ur impressions along ur childhood…
and then, there are ur early twenties and ur late ones, of course…
where u already gained in birdsview perspectives…
while beyond mid 30 u start to settle in with some kind of final consumption of ur taste and overall perception when it comes to music and styles and genres…

all afterglowin’ years then left to come can only see some turning and twisting points here and there, just joining ur cake of personal taste…truu new mindopeners become pretty rare fom there…

which led me to the conclusion…
the most intresting times for music production are always NOW… :wink:

2 Likes

Most interesting years for music production is roughly 1970-1993, in terms of what people were doing with technology/production, IMHO.

Once DAWs took hold I think a lot of people got very lazy, copy paste, endless overdubs, comping, plug ins, etc. Convenience and innovation are seldom bedfellows, and I think there are very few people doing interesting stuff with DAW in the same sense that people did with tape machines, samplers and so on.

It is quite interesting that a lot of younger people are into older stuff, probably thanks to exposure in games like the GTA series, and it is mainly middle aged people listening to the mainstream shite.

Still, it is nice that there is such a wealth of easy to find music new and old, mainstream and underground, for those willing to dip beneath the surface.

I think that in terms of performance of electronic music the last 10 years have been pretty interesting, most of the innovation here is hardware/modular based though, which I think is only going to get better in the coming years as technology becomes more accessible and bespoke. Never has there been a time where it is possible to use a combination of technologies and ready made and DIY solutions to create a vehicle for your own expression with comparative ease. It remains to be seen if stuff like AI and the endless fascination with the past will be hurdles that some people will reject in favour of forging new paths, I suspect that as usual counter culture will be the sphere to watch.

There are people doing interesting things with computers, Tim Exile springs to mind, I’m not really up to date on that scene because it does not really connect with me musically, even though I find it quite interesting.

4 Likes

Absolutely.

The amount of shows I went to 20 odd years ago that were just a guy sat at a laptop, largely because a laptop was about the only reliable way to perform their material.

Now artists have so many more performance options available to them.