Most Flexible Machines for Techno?

Right! With two people pointing in the Roland direction it may be able to help.

I would use presets that I prepared…and setup Performance Controller for those.

2 Likes

I just learned so much new about the AR watching this vid that it made me fall in love with the machine all over again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Btw:
I know that this is an half old thread, but if other people out there searching the internet are trying to get 909 sounds out of the rytm, I would say that the ‘Hard’ series for the BD, SD and RM are 909 inspired.
For claps and toms it’s gonna be dificult though, and I would like to have those. Not sure if it’s possible for Elektron to make those kinds of engines for the AR. I mean, there must be a reason why there’s only one clap and one tom engine (BT only available on track 5, so that’s something different I guess).
Hats and cymbals on the 909 are samples anyways, so that’s no problem.

For me personally, the most important 909 sounds are bassdrum, open hat and ride, so no biggy.

2 Likes

Responding to the original post, even tho’ it’s a couple of years down the line…

I think the OP was asking about tweaking knobs during a performance to dial in sounds/energies during a set. I guess they were aiming at Jeff Mills-ish 909 tweaking. The 909 only has 2-4 knobs per sound, and each sound/track only has one “machine”… so the OP is maybe looking to set up some restrictions on how they configure an AR kit to get that 909 tweaking going on.

I have no definitive advice here. The AR’s sound architecture is way more expensive than the 909. I can see why they’d want limits, but for guidance… I can’t help directly. The moods you want to evoke will affect the machine choices I think. I don’t see a way around doing the prep work: either learn which machines and knobs best suit the tracks you have, or pre-programme scenes and perf pads. My imagination tends towards the perf pads, but I’ve not tried to make a full live set yet. For me, sound choice is often as much about the tweaks I want to make as it is the main tone for the peak of a track. Think about the types of energy change you’re going for in the track and choose a sound+tweaks, or create a set of perf assignments which suit. You can play more than one perf pad at a time, and you can latch them with a couple of tricks. You can make combination perfs, e.g. change the filter on one pad and the resonance of the same sound on a different pad, allowing full live filter tweaking.

2 Likes