Most efficient way to use Digitone as MIDI controller for two hardware synths?

Here’s my setup: Digitone, Sub Phatty, Behringer Neutron and the MIDI controller Presonus ATOM. I want to use my Digitone as a hub for my synths and use the ATOM for mainly DAW stuff and soft synths.

I have the Sub Phatty set up, was super simple. I just set the first MIDI track to channel 5 and set the SP to receive MIDI channel 5 after adjusting the Global Settings on my Digitone. Now the issue is using the MIDI Thru from the DN to trigger and be able to play the Neutron with the DN trigger buttons. Do I have to alter the Global Settings which would in turn affect how I have my SP set up? I’ve tried many different options but had to leave before I could figure it out and it’s bugging me. I have the configuration set to MIDI channel 6 on the Neutron and the second MIDI track set to channel 6 on the DN but I get no response. When I try playing the Neutron through my DAW using my keyboard and MIDI channel 3 it works fine so I’m thinking it’s gotta be a DN setup problem using MIDI Thru and a standard 5 pin MIDI cable.

Any tips?

That actually sounds like a neat combination of synths!

I dont own a DN but do have a DT.
I have had 2 synths working from the DT however what i did was daisychain them out of the DT midi out and use the DT as a midi controller. Like this…

midi out from DT to first synth
Then from the midi through on the first synth
To the midi in on the second.

But the two synths you mention have no through for midi…so no dice…

You would need a midi splitter or through box like the banana split…to take the midi sent from the midi out of the DN and split it into 2 seperate ports you could send to each synth. Many manufacturers make them…motu is another or iconnect…

If the DN is Like the DT you cant send midi out from the DNs midi through. Its just for passing midi data not used by the DN that is going to other devices when its in a daisy chain. It will probably just send clock and transport…

But i could be 100% wrong here as i dont own a DN and have not read the manual…

Hopefully a heavyweight can pipe in.

Midi Solutions Quadra Thru is a God send for the Digitone. It will help split the DN output into 4 separate outputs. Less of a headache routing it this way and the best part is, you don’t have to have all your synths on at the same time to patch midi through one and to the next. Best $50 I’ve ever spent!

MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru https://g.co/kgs/puryW2

5 Likes

It’s an amazing combo from what I’ve done so far without having the Neutron synced. I think the only thing that could make the setup better is a DFAM to route with the Neutron. Perfect setup with some poly soft synths and DAW samples until I inevitably decide to buy a Digitakt…

I will continue working on it once I get home. Thanks for the tips. Could’ve sworn I read you could MIDI out through MIDI thru but perhaps it was just clock. Ah well.