Most effective way to sample?

Do you have any recommendations how to do the most time effective way to sample into the octatrack?

Currently its: Edit Recorder Setup,
Select Input to sample from, Select recorder Buffer
Function + yes (Arming the one shot),
Sample,
Rename,
Assign to next free static slot.
Listen to sample if the recording was ok.

I tend to manipulate the synth while recording, then rinse and repeat.

Normally i do 4 bar recordings, but i think to extend it to 8 or 16 bars, with 1/2 or 1/4 sequencer speed. What would you recommend? Shorter sample length would allow more flexibility with the created loops, but its probably more work later on organizing them, and the need to work with slices at the end, because the 128 sample slot limit kicks in.

In general, would you just, record and save, and organize rehearse later? Maybe some recordings were not that good, and cant be redone because of modular setup?

The Rec Setup 1 RLEN parameter don’t care about scales setup. It will record a number of steps a 1/1 scale.

You can quantize record in Rec Setup 2 with QREC = Pattern Length.
Set ONE2 in Rec Setup 1, in order to stop recording manually, just before 2 pattern loops for example. (8 bars)

1 Like

With QREC = PLEN and ONE2 you can also increase pattern length in scale per track mode, it would be easier to record 16 bars I think.

1 Like

Ok, i will try it at home :):sunny:

1 Like

If you set the recorder setup for both sets of inputs, enable quick record mode, use one2mode, and set qrec to 64…
Then all you do is with the track selected press A/B or C/D depending which you want to sample at the time. With qrec 64 it will start recoding on the next cycle, and you just press the same input button again on the last 4 bars (64 steps) of the recording, however long you want it…

Basically two button presses for any multiple of 64 step recordings…
I save the recorder setups into the project so never have to look at them again… It’s always just two buttons for sampling… You can save them on a special sampling part or something if you don’t otherwise use them. That way you just switch to that pattern/part and its all set up.

If you know you want 8 bars you can use the above settings with a one shot and set qrec to 256. This way anytime after the recoding begins you just press the appropriate input button and you’ll get a 256 step recording…

If you assign a flex machine to the track the recorder lives on and assign that tracks recorder buffer to it you can hear it as its recording… If you do this you don’t have to save and load it somewhere else just to see if you want to keep it… Save if needed.

There’s a handy shortcut to open the recorder buffer of the current track into the audio editor with [audio rec]+edit…

7 Likes

Thanx for the insight, I can sample no problem but still haven’t tried longer recordings of me jamming.
As the Octatrack is a multi tool it might be a good time for me to try a different approach. More like a multi tracker. So any more tips would be cool.

1 Like

One2mode and rlen max is the ticket to long recordings. Quantize they’re start and stop with qrec. Dynamic recorders must be on in the memory settings.

Rlen can only be set up to 64 and then jumps to max. One2mode makes it so when using max you press the record combo again after starting the recording and it defines the ending, and obeys the qrec quantize setting.

The normal record/stop record button combo is track+a/b or c/d. if you enable quick record mode in the personalize options you don’t have to hold the track button. Just press either a/b or c/d and it starts the recorder of the track your on. Press the same button again in one2mode to define the end…

So if qrec is 64 and you press a/b during a pattern cycle the recording will begin on the next cycle. After how ever many pattern cycles press a/b again and it will stop at the end of that cycle…

To play them back either adjust track scale to fit or use a one-shot play trig… This can be pre setup on a flex machine to monitor the recording as its recording…

You can also use a one shot recorder trig instead of pressing the button, but you still have to define the ending by pressing a button…

I highly encourage saving usable recorder sampling settings to a part/pattern somewhere and enabling quick record mode, so you don’t have to redo the setup and can easily make any length recording with just two button presses…

Then there’s pickups, but I digress…

4 Likes

So for example I want the longest recording time to keep restarting and then I press stop when I’m happy (I must press stop before the restart, correct? ).

Ah I should just get out of bed and fruking try it myself.

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by keep restarting… :thinking:

Rlen max, qrec 64, one2mode

Press the record combo and the recording starts on the next cycle. Assuming a 64 step pattern, press the combo again during the first pattern cycle of recording and you’ll get a 64 step recording. If you were to wait until say the 4th pattern cycle and press the combo again, you’ll get a 256 step recording… 8th pattern cycle 512 step, etc…

1 Like

I mean if I hit record and jam for a while and if I play something good it will just record the last bit i played.

Midi foot switch :slight_smile:

That sounds like a job for a full on red recorder trig so the recording starts over every cycle, and on the cycle you want to keep you remove the recorder trig, if you have enough hands…

Might be other ways too…

2 Likes

Yeah so can I record for more than 4 bars like what you just said with rec trig ?

Yes, once you remove the record trig as long as you have rlen set to max it will keep recording over pattern cycles. Still you use one2mode along with a qrec setting to end the recording. Qrec doesn’t have to be 64, if set to 256 when you remove the recorder trig you then press track+a/b or just a/b if in quick record mode any time during the first 256 steps and you’ll get a 256 step recording…

Might be some midi implimentation for this to avoid pressing things, I haven’t explored that.
There’s other possible ways to do things because it’s an OT, but the stuff I write is kind of my standard approach.

2 Likes

I’ll add again just in case that to play these long samples back you either use track scale with a regular trig, or you can use a one-shot or “1rst” condition on any length track and they’ll play through and loop…
And again if you load the recording buffer to a flex track before recording you’ll hear it play as it records…

I was talking more about recording so I thought I’d mention playback again so it’s not buried…

2 Likes

OT’s an incredible sampler that when set up once and saved in a project becomes super quick and honestly gets easy to use in a little time. I got mine for looping so I started learning the sampling first from day one, I can see how it would be a little intimidating if your used to the standard sequencing of pre made samples…

If anyone has issues with quantized loops, long samples, pickups, flex remixes, and especially basic looping, don’t be shy just ask away, it’s not that hard after a bit…

I’m saying this because the sampling seems to have an “intimidating” reputation and often I read about folks not getting the sampling part and having an OT for years. If anyone wants to loop just keep asking question and I or someone will get you there… The OT will thank you, it really likes to sample… Don’t let it get hungry…

4 Likes

I’m kinda just talking to myself but whatever, people will read it… :rofl:

The OT has a wrap of being not so quick or kind of hard to set up and do things. That is right. From a new project it does take a bit to get things going, and there’s a bunch of settings…

However, the OT is a multifunctional device that by default it not set up for any particular function. To me the way I see the OT best utilized is to set up multiple different projects for different uses, or even better one large master project using different banks with your own specific default settings for recorders, tracks, midi, all your favorite personalize options, etc… Even have your custom lfo shapes and arps set with a general starting point of what you’d usually use, that goes for all the little settings you can find, set um and forget um…

You can set up OT projects like templates. You never need to start from scratch. It would drive me mad to have to always enter the record setup and set up the track recorders for sampling. I set those up in the first month I got it and for the next several years after that it’s just easy sampling and I barely ever look at them…

Same goes for a bunch of stuff. OT has a bit of a rap of not being “immediate”, but that’s only when you start from scratch. The OT really likes to have a setup launchpad project with your favorite types of tracks, fx, scenes, recorder setup, midi configuration, already there. Once you got something like that you can always open it and your settings are there and you just go straight to fun (looping for me) and using the scenes and sampling with your preconfigure recorders, mixing in your favorite fx that are already loaded, etc…

Honestly when your navigating and jamming using a good project that you’ve built, there’s no menu diving, and everything is right there at the tip of you fingers and you hear the results of what your doing instantaneously as your doing it. For me in the middle of an OT journey, I can’t see how it would be any more immediate than it is…
You just gotta have saved setups if you want it to be quick…

-this has been a public service announcement from your local :elot: obsessed spokesperson …

7 Likes

There is an option “record only when it’s good” but I don’t remember where…:wink:

Unfortunately no midi for rec trig removing or one shot converting. I used to use rec trigs with realtime playing, I didn’t find a simple solution for that, except playing guitar with feet, or midi tracks.

I’m thinking about a midi track with loopback, sending a rec note at the beginning and the end, ONE2 mode. Mute midi track before the end with midi foot controller, rec last, and stop it with another rec. I rec is quantized, I’m not sure the first play will work, because midi track note can be a bit late…

Btw, I should receive an Rc 202 looper today ! :smile:

4 Likes

I forgot that workaround, but with a pattern change, you should be able to achieve a recording with a rec trig, and stop it when you want. Doable with a foot controller.
Pattern 1 with rec trig
Pattern 2 without rec trig

3 Likes