Most complicated thing about OT?

1 Like

Maybe inspired by Rolands ever slightly changing super-pseudo-techy-sounding terminology on their romplers^^ :laughing:

Sure p-locks on grooveboxes are nothing new, Korg’s Electribe series (1999) had motion recording, but Elektron really set the bar high there imho.

“Trigless trig” sounds so much better than “trigless step”.

I’ll add to the pile the One-Shot trig with trig condition, it was solved by one of the brains here (I’d say @avantronica).
Trig condition on a one-shot trigless trig only on OT can be seen.
(And are not bothered by Scenes).

:partying_face:
:crazy_face:

7 Likes

baha. I mean I can use the OT quite proficiently at this stage but even reading that sends my brain into a trigless spin.

trig triggy trig trig trig :cyclone::upside_down_face::cyclone:

1 Like

Steps and trigs are two completely different things. Steps define the playground (when something can happen) while trigs (“triggers”) define what happens.

It’s like a canvas and the paint.

10 Likes

‘One shot recorder trig’ - isn’t that music to your ears? :blush:

5 Likes

trigless trigs and stepless steps :thinking:

2 Likes

2Cq

Nothing really.
Printing manual in paper,and revised Merlin guide
Just use it, and have an idea what you want to do.

You can do it, if you have any of Electrons.
Some complex part of OT will not be used in the beginning.
That is all

1 Like

Did anyone find out what an unlocked lockable trigless trig was :question:

1 Like

I think it’s not so bad compared to Make Noise who’ve decided that every little piece of standard synth terminology is not for them.

4 Likes

Yep, Make Noise is really exceptional in inventing their own terminology for everything. Sometimes I think putting random labels on their faceplates would be equally helpful (or none labels at all) … :smiley:

Elektron looks really conservative compared to them (besides calling kits “parts” on the OT).

2 Likes

Can’t get that picture of the dark trinity with scribbly squiggly lines and alien symbols instead of text out of my head^^ :joy:

1 Like

hmm… I started out sampling using a Volca Sample. Then went for the Digitakt. And now use the Octatrack Mk2. It’s really a lot to learn if your trying to utilize a lot of it’s features at once. I’d agree with whoever said just use what you want and get to the other features as you need or want to. Compared to the DT your initial learning curve is much steeper as you would guess. Whatever it is that you see the OT as being able to do over the DT is what I’d recommend you take your time to get a good handle on if you buy it, that way it will either prove useful or not worth it pretty quick.

I barely practiced sampling with it and just dumped all of my audio into the memory card and have usually just pulled from that to source samples for a track I am working on. But have found myself wanting to record my synth’s playback off of the sequencer into the OT for future mangling and performance use and I am like others have said, basically back at square one on how to get the recorder’s set up and ready to record external inputs.

So just accept that as much time as it took you to learn how to use the more modern and slimmed down DT, your going to have to be more patient as something that is pretty straight forward on the DT like sampling is not so straight forward in that you just have more options on the OT and so it just takes more time to get acquainted with it and comfortable with it. If you can keep your DT during the learning process I’d highly recommend it as it’s nice to take a break from the OT at first and just glide on something your familiar with and the DT has a lot of similarities to how the menu’s and features work to the OT so you did kind of prep yourself for it by starting on the DT.

I couldn’t put my finger on a single thing being the most complex, from what I’ve explored of it’s features it seems like tying things together is where it gets really complex. scene’s and other features like record trigs, pick up machines etc, knowing how to utilize them all is what I would say is the most difficult thing. A lot of people really have to plan and make notes of what all they have going on in a track to get it right. I keep it pretty simple and could have probably just stuck with the DT but I wanted the OT as like my end all be all instrument, so just having the fader and all my audio on hand was all it took for me to decide to go for it.