Most complicated thing about OT?

Oh yeah gain staging indeed.
Surprised you’re the first to mention it :smiley:

3 Likes

the most difficult thing about OT is that ridiculous but persistent feeling that you kinda need a second one

3 Likes

I think its a typical octatrack ‘topic’

the defaults are really great, and as a beginner - you don’t even think about it.
then you innocently ask
‘when I record a loop, and play it back its quieter - how do I fix this?’
(innocently, thinking you have missed something in the manual :rofl:)

then a deep chasm opens up in front of you… and you are are faced with 2 choices:
a) follow the ritual some elder prescribes
b) delve into the depths of the OT, and ask some deep meaningful questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless this is much different, I’m quite used to this “saves most recent state” on the Digitakt. I usually reload pattern / project if things get too spicy. So I’d think this maybe won’t be as much of an issue if I’m used to it already? (although maybe I’ve missed something and it’s more bonkers on OT than DT :smiley: )

could be @JPM, I don’t have another Elektron device to compare too…

however, the OT ‘state’ is large, e.g. when you turn it on, its not ‘obvious’ that you are using a particular scene… e.g. the other night, i found the OT was completely silent, because I’d completely forgotten i’d been messing with XVOL and routing external inputs.

it didn’t take me long to figure it out… but was part of the regular OT head scratching…

and as i say, worst case scenario, I just reload part/project and on my merry way I go… with an uneasy feeling of 'did I save everything last time ?! - but hey 'live in the moment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not in the manual!
If your sampling a Thru, set Level identically for the playback track.
If your sampling AB/CD, set Level as DIR.
VOL set 0 in both case.

Signal flow/gain staging diagram for Octatrack MKII

2 Likes

Always. If imported or recorded samples need level changed I do it in attributes :+1:

2 Likes

thanks, I know all this… I was just using as an example, when you turn up as a newcomer the kind of things that are not immediately obvious - so many places to change gain… which one to choose :slight_smile:

but that’s the fun of the OT so many nuances to it.

1 Like

On the contrary young padawan, the most difficult thing is the persistent whisper in your dreams… " you dont need any other gear at all, Octatrack is all you need, octatrack is life. YESSSSSSS human, yesssss, octratrack is life… "

3 Likes

I realize you were talking about Abelton…
However, I would compare Octatrack to The great Outer God Yog Sothoth, who is both the Gate and the Key. His followers are mostly sorcerers (insane, yes) seeking Outer knowledge and he is occasionally amused enough to oblige.
Or perhaps I would compare it to Hastur, the embodiment of entropy and madness, followed by unwitting artists and sculptors, poets and playwrights and hapless musicians. The manual is our copy of The King in Yellow… and I must ask…,
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
:nerd_face:

2 Likes

apart from coming to terms with OT parts, in the beginning I found elektrons naming of steps “trigs” caused a fair bit of confusion when learning what was goin on. trig this, trig that. but it’s a step sequencer not a trig sequencer :smile:

I wonder is there a reason they call em trigs rather than steps?

4 Likes

It allowed Elektron to come up with a whole new mystifying vocabulary for something which is basically just step modulation.

Every step sequencer ever made is capable of “parameter locking” even if the only parameter they can lock is pitch.

3 Likes
1 Like

Maybe inspired by Rolands ever slightly changing super-pseudo-techy-sounding terminology on their romplers^^ :laughing:

Sure p-locks on grooveboxes are nothing new, Korg’s Electribe series (1999) had motion recording, but Elektron really set the bar high there imho.

“Trigless trig” sounds so much better than “trigless step”.

I’ll add to the pile the One-Shot trig with trig condition, it was solved by one of the brains here (I’d say @avantronica).
Trig condition on a one-shot trigless trig only on OT can be seen.
(And are not bothered by Scenes).

:partying_face:
:crazy_face:

7 Likes

baha. I mean I can use the OT quite proficiently at this stage but even reading that sends my brain into a trigless spin.

trig triggy trig trig trig :cyclone::upside_down_face::cyclone:

1 Like

Steps and trigs are two completely different things. Steps define the playground (when something can happen) while trigs (“triggers”) define what happens.

It’s like a canvas and the paint.

10 Likes

‘One shot recorder trig’ - isn’t that music to your ears? :blush:

5 Likes

trigless trigs and stepless steps :thinking:

2 Likes

2Cq