More then one sample per track

By selecting a different sample from the sample pool per seq step. What is not possible in 1 Track is 2 samples on the same seq step.

must i use software? I like to stay away from the pc

I got it now but no way can i have full drum in on track… explain please

Watch the video @proskynesis posted. No software needed.

3 Likes

you don’t need to constrain yourself to 1 track. if you have a 64 sample long samplechain of drums, that 1 samplechain will occupy only 1 slot. and you can assign that particular slot and a slice of it to any trig on any track. the key is to “save” sample slot space.

so technically instead of having 128 separate “samples” you can populate, you will virtually have 8192 separate “samples” (64x128) you can assign to any trig on any track.

A healthy dose of moderation in any stance can be beneficial :slight_smile:
A little bit of PC to easily create sample chains that allow you to focus on the creative and fun part of the OT can be a bit of pain, but result in hours of avoided tediousness.

…on the ot, if u think sample, u MUST think in sample chains and get a first idea what this means in real life and how easy it is to create such files…
otherwise, the ot can’t become that beast it actually is…
u “only” got 128 static and 128 flex slots to adress a sample…
what a poor design ot would be, if 256 samples in total would be all to play with…

so, after all the options to just search for the term samplechains here, all the hints u already got in this thread, u really deserve at least a little friendly reminder stating RTFM…
ot can only become that ultra flexible sample mangle wonder box, if u start to wrap ur head around it’s most basic concepts…

3 Likes

i’m dawless

I believe there are some sample chains for download in the files section of the forum, could be of good use to load some up and get a feel for how they work

No DAW involved, just much easier sample management.

Do you use the USB transfer on your OT or do you record every sound with the audio inputs?

I sample everything :slight_smile:

I sample everything too. I create my own sample chains all in the OT. No drama. I read the manual, searched this forum and applied the years and years of practical and expert advice available here.

If you choose not to use a computer then it is the only way, and is one of the OTs strongest features, to me at least.

Give if a try, you might be pleasantly surprised at how rewarding and quick it can be.

1 Like

I make short sample chains on my AR. Very easy and useful.

My OT’s been in a box all year. I’ve not practiced the technique on that, but I imagine the OT’s quantized sample length features and explicit slice control should make it both easier and more flexible than the AR.

what is AR?

Sorry… forum speak for an Analog Rytm, another Elektron instrument. It also samples, but has simpler and more limited editing and playback options.

I made a little video a couple years ago about using OctaChainer to assemble your sample chains and use them on the OT. It’s really simple.

12.7.3 SLOTS

This mode gives quick access to the samples of the Flex and Static sample slot lists. Depending on the machine assigned to the active track, pressing a [TRIG] key when no RECORDING mode is active will trig a specific sample in either the Flex or Static sample slot list. While in LIVE RECORDING mode it is possible to real-time record the [TRIG] key presses to make different samples play back on the same track. Trigged samples will then be entered as sample locks on the active track.

The sample slots are divided in 4 rows and each row represents 16 sample slots. Sample slots containing samples are indicated by small black squares. Sample slots not containing any samples are greyed out. Press the [PAGE] to move between the rows. If samples are loaded to slot 65 or higher, an additional page containing four new rows will be accessed once the [PAGE] key has been pressed a sufficient amount of times.

is technically ALL the samples on a track isn’t it? I’ve never used it because I like chains and slices and all the good and useful OT features.

this seems pretty easy but i’m having an issue, where my snare trig keeps trigging, I looked at all the settings all seem to be default, any ideas?

how do i do if i ten samples, 10 isn’t an option when create a slice grid

Just do 16 and ignore the last 6?

Or indeed any number and ignore any above 10.

You can manually add slices but tbh I find it less button presses letting it autochop and then fixing what I want.